“Enjoyable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Parking excellent, the reception was first class friendly and efficient. We were able to check into our room early. NOTE.. there isn't a lift , we were on the 3rd floor and it was hard work with the cases.No help offered. The room was ....basic and functional. Unfortunately the shower was totally useless either scalding or cold. Plenty of hot water whenever we wanted it. Hospitality tray well stocked. The bed was ultra comfortable. Carpets really need upgrading as they are very stained and look grubby. The restaurant was lovely and they coped well with the fact my husband is Coeliac .Friendly staff and good food. We used the swimming pool and sauna, only point I would make is provide locks for the lockers
. Unfortunately we had a small altercation with one of the receptionists whilst booking a table for dinner on the second night which makes me downgrade the hotel from excellent. Such a shame that one member of the team feels the need to snarl at guests..

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Business centre which has new upgraded rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay
I am sorry about the incident with the receptionist and will be speaking to the member of staff concerned
Comments re carpet have been passed to Housekeeper so that we can get it cleaned asap

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
St Helens, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Average hotel nice foyer and bar,restaurant.steep staircase and no lift.free parking but situated about a mile out of town.need to get a taxi to the centre and there is a good selection of lively pubs to choose from.
Food excellent and served piping hot,staff friendly and helpful.large wait rose supermarket across the road.Themed nights at the hotel worth checking dates.room tidy and clean but a three star grade.would not stay again personally unless on business

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David S
Just a quick note to say "thank you" for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor
All comments gratefully appreciated
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here for four nights and wouldn't stay again.

As you can see from the pictures, the ironing board was a disgrace, the bathroom had damp and the "hidden" corridors which were clear to see were old fashioned and not in keeping with the style of the hotel.

The fitness room is really 6 machines which I wouldn't use as they were old fashioned and seemed more of a hazzard.

Wifi didn't work in my room. I also had to get the maintenance in to turn the heating down as the controls didn't work!

1 Thank Robww82
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback and my apologies for the problems that you encountered
This room is undergoing a full make over this week and the iron board covers were replaced the same week - in fact they should never have been in circulation

Travelers are raving about these Wolverhampton hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Come on mercure !! We have stayed in 3 of your hotels on either DB&B or all inclusive deals and the gold thorn is not a patch ... Not even close at coming up to the standard of those !!

Mercure south hatherton at penkridge and Westone manor Northampton can knock spots of this hotel for quality of rooms and there is NO comparison in the food !!!!

We stayed all inclusive and although we had a great time that was down to the company we shared, the wine, the weather and the visit to RAF cosford !!!!
Our room had a leaking radiator in the bathroom water all over floor and carpet wet in bedroom and the ceiling was brown, peeling and water damaged !! it's a shame the hotel needs some TLC !!
Won't go into the disastrous evening meal except to say I've been in catering for 33 yrs and never been seved anything quite like my main course .... When I politely enquired about the dish I was sent a message back from the chef saying sorry he did not try very hard, he was busy !! ( there were 8 people in the dining room !!!!!) at least he was honest he just couldn't be bothered !!!!!
On a plus side the staff were nice especially Emma in the dining room who was exceptional !!! And the breakfasts were absolutely delicious !!!
Come on mercure get some money invested in the hotel !!!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank SuRob5eb
Many thanks for your feedback and I extremely disappointed to read your comments.
I have spoken to all the staff concerned as I do not expect comments like these to be made in my absence.
Next time you are in the area - please email me personally on gm@hotels-wolverhampton.com and we can make arrangements for your next visit
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have used this hotel several times for business.
The staff are always courteous and pride themselves on customer service.
This is somewhat let down with the condition of the hotel.
The rooms are quite dated and both times I have stayed recently there has been problems with heating in the room.
This time I was automatically upgraded to a honeymoon suite!

This was warm and very comfortable but again was starting to look a bit faded.

This maybe due to the downturn of the recession but it seems that Mercure is not investing in the upkeep of this property.

It is not something I would expect for a Mercure but it is an ideal base for work.
In particular with free wifi and parking.

Come on Mercure, spend some money and you will definitely see an increase in bookings!

1 Thank Fatalbertsgarage
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Many thanks for your comments following your recent stay
We have got a programme of planned maintenance throughout - and hope that you notice some differences if you return during 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I did a walk in on Feb 5th and was quoted a suitabley low enough price to confirm a three night stay beginning the next day. I was given room #60 which is on the Penn road. This was much closer but smaller room than the rabbit run I had been given on a previous visit. I was quite sick during my stay so I did not use many of the facilities. However my children turned up at noon for lunch one day and only wanted breakfast. The chef was kind enough to go off menu and cook a couple of large full English breakfasts. This I find to be good customer service that drew me back to the hotel the following week for another four nights. This time I was given room 80 which was probably above my reservationprice. A lovely small room with a four poster bed. I used the sauna on this occasion and have to agree with the negative pool comments. I ate lunch on Sunday and was once again accommodated even without a reservation on a busy and packed day. I would recommend this location to friends.
I will be back here again when visiting from Florida.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael O
Many thanks for you kind comments - following your recent stay at the hotel
Look forward to welcoming you back
Hastings, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

First of all I'll say that I stayed here while on business. I stay in hotels, on average, about 2 nights a week and I have got used to what I call 'must-haves' as it's such a regular thing.

Things I look for in my hotel selection:

1 - no plugs anywhere near the bed, no alarm clock and no phone near the bed for a wake up call
2 - windows that don't open and radiators that are either on or off....no middle ground
3 - poor state of repair and poor levels of maintenance
4 - a 'gym' with broken equipment
5 - a swimming pool changing area with a floor covered in hair and seemingly having not been cleaned in weeks
6 - bar food cooked to within an inch of its life, medium rare steak that clearly wasn't fresh or medium rare (and one can only hope it WAS steak), chips that may have been heated to order but certainly not fresh, garlic bread slightly burned under the grill and then dipped in chip fat just long enough that it absorbed sufficient grease to double it's weight
7 - showers which are either hot or very hot
8 - no iron or ironing board in a 'junior suite' (and before anyone says it, a junior suite for less than £100 per night perhaps was never going to be great but it carried the label so expectations were set high)
9 - a room that needs a damn good Hoover and dust
10 - I don't like to be asked if I enjoyed my stay

I've just listed 10 things from the top of my head that I really want in a hotel. And it's a good job....this hotel delivered all of them.

I have stayed in bad hotels before, some on some levels considerably worse than this but, as an all round package, this is up there with them. It's just terrible.

This is a business travellers worst nightmare. Because of the room size, one thing I can't really complain about, the decision to remove plug sockets from the bed end of the room is LUDICROUS. I didn't sleep well, not because the bed was uncomfortable, although quite what the pillows are made of I'm not sure...I perhaps don't want to know, but simply because I was concerned the whole night that I wouldn't hear my alarm which was set on my phone (and was on loud) 10 metres away from my head. No close alarm, no alarm clock provided and no phone to get a wake up call...are you SERIOUS?

And the lack of sleep contributed slightly towards by the uncontrollable and bitterly uncomfortable heat.

The pool is pleasant once you're in as is the steam room and sauna. Although if I was a lady travelling alone, I would definitely not use these facilities. It doesn't feel too safe. But that's by the by. What is unforgivable is the dirt and general feeling of lack of cleanliness in the leisure building. Body hair, and a decent amount of it, on the floors. Dirty old towels under floor mats, litter, dirt, grime...and an old, mouldy, unclean smell the like of which I hope never to experience again.

The food in the bar was grim. Read above for detail. I don't need to say any more on this.

The general cleanliness, state of repair and maintenance of the place is worse than poor. It needs a freshen up throughout. Damaged walls need filling and painting,....just general, basic TLC.

The cleanliness, particularly hoovering, I will take a guess, is probably more down to the equipment than the effort of the cleaning staff.

I could go on but I shall finish with this which, for me summed it all up.

On the whole, the staff are superb. Helpful, polite, friendly...and full of smiles....testament to the,selves and the true, British 'grin and bear it' resolve. They, in the main, do the best with what they have.

Check-out however, was the icing on this cake.

In the 5 minutes I was at the counter, two people served me. Before paying, I am used to being asked 'was everything ok with your stay'.....here? Nothing. I was prepared for either eventuality. If they had asked, I would have raised all of the above direct with them, paid my reduced bill and left.
The other option was, they don't ask, I pay in full and I write a true and honest review for many more people to see.

Not asking a paying guest in your hotel if 'everything was ok' just as they are about to pay you is a terrible level of customer service. Perhaps the poor girls in question know the likely outcome of the question if they ask it so they just don't bother any more.

I paid my bill, in full, and I shall take it up with all and sundry until I get a response to this review and my formal letter of complaint.

I absolutely do not blame the staff for this place. The manager or the management, the owners and Mercure are wholly responsible for an embarrassing representation of the brand name.

Room Tip: Best tip for choosing a room here? Don't choose a room here.
2 Thank Dominic C
Many thanks for posted you feedback and my sincere apologies for the problems that you encountered

Unfortunately the hotel has not yet received anything in writing directly from you - if you could possibly email a copy to me - gm@hotels-wolverhampton.com - then I can review and respond to you personally

Many thanks