“Undercooked chips and lukewarm service”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #200 of 517 Restaurants in Wolverhampton
Reviewed November 29, 2011

The pub's website promises “a warm welcome in our traditional surroundings” and to be fair the manager did say “Good evening” as we entered this large, chain pub on a Saturday evening. Unfortunately, things went downhill thereafter.

The place was largely empty so we had no trouble getting a seat in one of the alcoves. My dining companion chose the fish and chips at £5.95 while I went for the larger version with added scampi and spiced prawns - 'Fisherman's Catch' - at £9.75.

With some difficulty, the barmaid managed to break off chatting to a colleague long enough to take our order but then resumed her conversation (and dropped a bottle of wine) while pouring the drinks.

The food arrived quickly but while the fish was good, my prawns were entombed in a strange, spiceless batter and both lots of chips were undercooked. I'm not a fan of being asked three or four times during a meal if everything is OK but no-one appeared until we'd finished. At this point the manager came up and began to wipe the table with a breathless “Waseverythingalrightwithyourmeal/
doyouwantcoffeeordessert?”.

We replied 'No' but said that the chips had been undercooked, receiving only a “Idoapologise” as he rushed off.

Not my idea of a reasonable dining experience and if a chain pub can't get chips and elementary service right, there really is no hope for them.