“Poor service!!! No rude boys”

Chiquito - Wolverhampton
Ranked #119 of 507 Restaurants in Wolverhampton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Wolverhampton
“Poor service!!! No rude boys”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We visited Chiquito for an early evening meal yesterday evening. We were greeted after around 10 minutes of waiting by who I assume was the manager, who was nice and asked us to wait at the bar while he set up a table for us (there were 4 of us). We ordered drinks and were shown to the table. We browsed the menu, which has changed since I have been last. They don't give you the complimentary nachos but popcorn instead! Cost saving exercise I presume. We ordered our food and waited near enough to an hour for it. We had asked about our food previous to it coming out and the waitress returned with "it's next on the line". We ordered 2 vegetarian dishes, a chicken and a salmon sizzler (that was mine). Food wasn't anything special so we failed to see how it took nearly an hour to prepare. We ate our food but weren't asked how our meals were during eating. We asked for mayonaise 4 times before it was bought to us and we were half way through our meals. After we had finished it took about 10 minutes to clear the table. We were asked if we would like to see the desserts menu, which we did. We ordered desserts, 2 apple pies (far too sweet and sickly), a cheesecake and popcorn sundae, which one would assume would have toffee popcorn but no it had normal popcorn, probably the same popcorn used for the freebie at the beginning. Not impressed. Anyway we finished (I say that loosely) and the waiter cleared the table. He carried the first three plates then asked me to pass the fourth to him, but not just pass it to him, but strategically give it to him, he couldn't actually retrieve the plate himself as both his hands were full. I mean it was my night off (part time waitress myself). Anyway before the waiter was even out of sight we were given the bill, which we didn't ask for so we paid. It wasn't even busy so we didn't understand why they were rushing us. Then the waiter who took our dessert plates away asked if we wanted coffees, to which I replied "we've been given our bill so it's a bit late now", he soon left with his tail between his legs. We paid leaving no tip and left. The waiter was also constantly talking as if he was from the ghetto, which we thought was amusing as he wasn't the sort. We concluded we won't be returning as the food wasn't good and the service even worse.

2 Thank AniP2000

• Polish first
“Good but not great”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Chiquito is always good but unfortunately never anything more. The prices are quite steep for the food you get, this time for example I had the Tapas Meat Tray with samples of three different meat dishes accompanied with rice, lettuce, cheese and mini tortillas. For £8.99 it sounds a good deal, however the samples really are just samples. They are in tiny pots that hold about two mouthfuls each, and the mini tortillas really are mini, thankfully I had ordered some skin on fries but I've paid half the price for twice the amount I received at Chiquitos.

My partner, like my mother, ordered a Quesadilla light meal, at a not very light meal price of £7.79. My mother was offered the choice of salad, chips or rice but my partner wasn't, unfortunately it wasn't until the food had already come that she realised this and didn't get the rice she would have had, she just got chips. Not wanting to wait for the rice she ate this anyway. The food tastes nice and is cooked well but the presentation is a little lacking, a sprig of parsley or some other side of greenery would improve the visual appeal of the meals greatly.

The service at Chiquito, though friendly enough, isn't the quickest and as others have said a busy night can leave you missing the start of your film.

Another gripe is that the service charge is added on at the bottom of your bill, although it does then say underneath that it is optional, some however may miss this and a table of 7 could end up paying £10+ service charge for service that can be a little lacking sometimes.

The cocktails and draught beers are really very nice and if your heading to Bentley Bridge for drinks before your film then Chiquito is, in my opinion, a better option than the nearby pub The Nickelodeon.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Simon B
Wolverhampton
“So disappointed and STILL angry”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I went here on 31st August knowing that we will get a good meal and make the movie at the same time. All was going well until our waitress came over. She started flirting with my partner IN FRONT OF ME, took his order and forgot mine, got his drink and messed mine up (how you get the word COKE from what I ordered which was San Miguel) I will never know! OUr starters EVENTUALLY came and where luke warm and just about passable as food forgetting the corn on the cob was another thing. The plate sat in front of us empty for 10 minutes before the waitress came back, not once might I add she came to ask if they were ok during eating. After half an hour I had to ask where our mains were to a different waiter who was horrified to find we didnt have ours only for it to arrive cold to the touch. My boyfriends steak was ment to be medium rare but was sitting that long it turned to well done. To make matters worse, things where left of the plates AGAIN. To frightened to send them back for waiting another half hour we ate what we could. The manager ( I assume it was) knew we were not happy but never came near us. Our waitress after asking for the bill several times came with it, went with the cash and arrived 10 minutes later looking for a TIP!!!!!! All evening we heard her rather loudly discussing what tips she made and what percentage should be left to her etc from other tables. My boyfriend had to get me to leave quickly as I was not happy and the restaurant would have heard me complain rather loudly. We missed our movie due to this.
The evening WAS NOT busy so why the terrible service and staff. We have been in before where the queues are out the door and we still recieved 1st class service. The whole evening very much upset me and I left hungry. I will be taking this further with the restaurant. My tip would be avoid at all costs and I cant believe I am saying this about one of my favourite places to eat in wolverhampton that it not a pub!!

• Visited August 2012
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Great evening with friends.......”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Haveing not dined at this chain before I booked table to meet some friends as it was convieniently located half way between our homes. When booking online I was able to download a voucher for free starter or desserts for the four of us which was a bonus! There is lots of easy parking outside and the resturant is roomy with booths for seating. The menui is long with a good range of Mexican style food. Background music not too loud and adds nicely to the atmosphere. Very attentive staff who were knowledgable about the menu. The food came promptly, it was hot and well presented, quite large portions! With the free starters it was a reasonably priced evening, very ebjoyable, we will certainly return and take the family.

• Visited August 2012
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Standards slipping?”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We visit Chiquito regularly and have always enjoyed the great-tasting food and lively atmosphere. However a recent visit (02/07/12) left us feeling very disappointed.
The service was uncharacteristically inattentive, inefficient and careless - which wasn't helped by the fact that we were served by three different waitresses.
One of our main courses was incorrect. A side dish failed to appear until we asked where it was.
The staff appeared disinterested. Upon leaving we were billed for the incorrect main dish in addition to those we had ordered. This was corrected when it was pointed out, but we received no apology.
The food was as tasty as ever, well-presented and very enjoyable.
The service however, was a big let down and has left us thinking twice about going back.

• Visited July 2012