“Fantastic Space”

Wolverhampton Art Gallery
More attraction details
Owner description: With its family friendly displays and interactives, Wolverhampton Art Gallery can be enjoyed by visitors of all ages.See permanent displays dedicated to key periods in history alongside regularly changing exhibitions that embrace painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, multi-media, and more. From grand paintings by 18th century greats, to thought provoking contemporary pieces, there’s always something new to discover.Relax in the laid-back setting of the Art Gallery Cafe, with its delicious menu, ranges of speciality loose-leaf teas and fresh coffee, and discover a treasure trove of crafts, cards and jewellery in the gallery shop.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The extension to Wolverhampton Art Gallery is a truly visionary building. The light and airy entrance and staircase lead to cool and spacious exhibition areas. The film areas work especially well. Seemingly replicating the warren-like space of the old Gallery, and perhaps even the ideal that "Out of Darkness Cometh Light", Wolverhampton has a building which befits this City.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is a lovely place to visit. When we visited sadly the Pop Art section (which I am told is excellent) was closed, but there was plenty to see without this. We enjoyed the child friendly sculpture section, where there were lots of tactile exhibits. and we also enjoyed the cafe very much which had a large choice of food, including a wide selection of home made cakes. I would go again just for the cakes!

1  Thank Carolyn S
Reviewed May 15, 2013

What a great art gallery! I must admit from the exterior the unprepossessing Victorian building didn't offer much hope. I popped in to get out of the rain and was quite surprised.

The gallery carries a mix of new and old really well as you stroll from room to room. A lot of great work very well displayed. Some of the art is 'hands on' and educational.

I particularly enjoyed the Sensing Sculpture Gallery and the amazing 'light and sound' cabinet thing that makes your eyes go weird (and gives you a headache). The bust of Richard Jobson (lead singer with The Skids) by David Mach made out of coat hangers is very impressive.

I also liked David Finchett’s  exhibition of urban photography taken in Wolverhampton (great work David) and the 'Manga' paintings of Manchester based artist David Hancock.

The gallery has quite a smart trendy looking cafe with beautiful coloured glass windows and there is a little gift shop. I found it all very entertaining and enlightening. This place could teach other more sober galleries a thing or two on how to present art.

I agree with a comment below. It probably is the best thing in Wolverhampton. I just wish I had more time to spend there. Well worth a visit if you are in the neighbourhood.
Free admission (donations accepted)

WolvesAG, Front Office Manager at Wolverhampton Art Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for telling us about the great time you had at the Gallery, I hope you are able to come back soon - we have a couple of exciting new exhibitions on this summer: Pauline Boty: Pop Artist and Woman opens on 1 June and Ron Mueck: Artist Rooms opens on 20 July which I think you would enjoy.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have been visiting this venue for about 20+ years and it is still as lovely as the first time we visited. The staff were very pleasant and friendly in serving you. the food is presented very well in the cabinets making it very difficult to choose from the variety of fresh salads and then the variety of yummy cakes. The cafe today was very busy which speaks for itself.Will visit again. So pleasant to have a lovely lunch and then browse the lovely exhibits afterwards.

1  Thank BeverleyH374
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I moved away from Wolverhampton over ten years ago and this is the first time I’ve visited WAVE since then.

I like to see menus of places I eat before I go, due to my diet- but was surprised I couldn’t find a menu for the café on their website. It’s ok though, I emailed WAVE and got a friendly response back, including a PDF of the menu, within a couple of hours, along with an apolology explaining the website was undergoing maintenance. Needless to say, the menu looked yummy & there was plenty I could eat!

The first thing that struck me when I entered the gallery was how much bigger it is compared to ten years ago. I remember it being very dark and forboding and the only item that I could remember was the ‘coat hanger man’ (which I did actually find later on, much to my joy!). But now it’s fresh, big and welcoming, much better. The exhibits were interesting, the fine art sections were beautiful and the David Hancock exhibit, which I’d gone to see, didn’t’ disappoint. The exhibits were positioned logically (dependant on how old they were, as far as I could tell), the attendees were polite and the café food was lovely. The café staff were helpful and friendly too and there were plenty of seats, despite it being a Saturday lunchtime.

It’s great to see that such a splendid building and day out is still available for free. It’s interesting, varied and inviting, the staff are friendly and the café food is tasty and reasonably priced. I didn’t get there early enough to take part in any of the guided tours, but I think it’s great they have those on offer too. I would definitely recommend this day out for adults and families alike.

2  Thank Ikkleruby