“Fabulous Place”

Wightwick Manor and Gardens
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I lived in Wolverhampton for years and have returned after a period away. I used to pass by very often but was never a National Trust member so never went. Imagine my surprise to find such a gem on my doorstep! The house is beautiful and I learned such a lot about the area that I never knew. Gardens are pretty but not vast. We went to the tea rooms and ate outside as the weather was fab. The only gripe I do have is that the tables outside are white and, as it was a bright sunny day, the glare from the tables was extremely bad.

1  Thank Daphned
There are newer reviews for Wightwick Manor and Gardens

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is one of those places that's really a 'stone's throw' from the area in which you live, but that you've never visited. It's been recommended to me many times, and at last I've finally been.

It is indeed a beautiful house, and one time home. I can now associate certain things, such as the paint people, with a name. It's amazing what can be learnt. The house was owned by obviously wealthy people, the furnishings and decoration are beautiful. None of it though is in an ostentatious manner, and you could easily imagine yourself living there. Part of the house is younger than the other, but, especially from the outside, it's made to look older! The exterior is gorgeous with twisted chimneys and beautiful woodwork.

The gardens are very pleasant, not huge, but lovely for a wonder round. I especially like the process used for 'recycling' their garden rubbish.

There's also a great tea room. Home made cakes and a selection of hot meals. If it's a sunny day there's seating outside.

The only 'down' point was the lady in the ticket office. Although very pleasant she really tried to sell the National Trust membership to me. It was a very good offer, but if you don't visit NT properties all that often, it's not worth the money. She was very persistent, and this kind of sales pressure has the opposite affect on me.

The above aside, it really is a wonderful property to visit. The staff inside the house were all very knowledgeable and more than happy to answer any questions. What a wonderful place to work within.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

As this is only around the corner from where we live we thought we'd pop in one afternoon.

I can't believe I've driven past it many times and not noticed how big the grounds are, it's hidden well from the main road.

Great for art and design lovers, and as a modern building compared to other National Trust buildings it made the visit feel different. There was a lot to see, a small guide was given at the beginning and then we were free to explore the building ourselves. We went around the William Morris exhibition before stopping for a lovely giant slice of coffee and walnut cake and a proper pot of tea (unlike the few other NT places we've visited). To help burn off the huge slice of cake we went around the shop and lovely gardens, orchard, picnic area, and vegetable, and Caribbean herb garden. Very inspirational.

Plus I finally got to walk over the bridge I've seen so many times from driving under.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Nice local venue, some history and some great outdoor locations too. It's amazing what's on your door step. Also worth look at David Austin Roses which is nearby to. This part of the country is so elegant

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have just bought a subscription to the National Trust for me and my 13 year old son
and this is the first place we have visited using our free entry card. At £9.50 per adult (£4.80 for children) we have already got back a third of the annual membership cost so well worth thinking about if you like historic houses etc. The house is a wonderful example of a victorian mock tudor building with lovely Willam Morris fabrics on some walls instead of wallpaper. The second generation Mander family still retain a small flat hidden behind a secret door in the wooden panelling of the drawing room. The whole house gives a real upstairs-downstairs insight. Shop is very pricey except for the nice jute/cotton indian made reusable NT bags at £3. Restuarant in the barn is ok for a drink and a snack but pricey for lunch at £4.50 for a bowl of soup. Gardens are pleasant but nothing special. The walk up from the disabled car park would be a challenge to those with limited mobility but you can request a transfer in a golf like buggy.

2  Thank singleparentdad