“Wonderful house! I wish I could live here!”

Wightwick Manor and Gardens
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Being a William & Co enthusiast this was a must visit for me and I wasn’t disappointed.

Lovely house and gardens too. Lots of rooms open to see in the house and interesting architecture. I liked the introduction visitors got if they waited in the first room. Lots of Morris patterns and amazing wood carvings.

I would of liked a little more knowledge about the owners and their lives but also there is a great array of Pre- Raphaelite art up around the house without much, if any, detail of who was the artist. Was a shame as the house contains many great pieces of art but itself – could be a Pre- Raphaelite exhibition!

Bring a picnic as there is a wonderful orchard with wooden picnic benches to use.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,301)
All reviews
in 67 reviews
"lovely grounds"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Wightwick Manor is a fantastic day out! I took my mother and disabled father for a day out which was local and cheap! The entrance price was reasonable from previous visits but I entered for free with the national art pass! The house is beautiful inside and out and the grounds being summer were in full bloom! The guides around the house were both knowledgeable and polite and very helpful! The gardeners were also helpful answering a few of my dads questions about growing plants and vegetables!
The only down side was there was no golf buggie( which usually runs) to take my dad up the hill to the house which is a little steep! The low side for me was the gift shop which was expensive and didnt sell any keyrings or fridge magnets that we collect:( Add to that the member of staff who was a little rude). The cafe staff were very helpful and polite but the cafe is a little expensive! £4.95 for a sandwich! The grounds have a great picnic area! Inside the house was perfect, outside the house there is a need for more bins and a better selection of ice cream on a hot day! If you live in Wolverhampton, like William Morris art and want to learn a little about local history this is the place for you! If I had to rate out of 10 I would give it a 9!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The guids where very knowledgeable about the history, guided tours avaliable. The gardens are very well kept by the staff and volunters lovely mature trees and interesting plants. Plenty of parking which is a short walk from the house uphill.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Fabulous house and gardens. Beautiful William Morris wallpapers and history. All the guides are volunteers I think. They were very enthusiastic and informative. I wanted to take photos inside but was not allowed.( common my sister tells me) Lovely little cafe.

1  Thank Sarah G
See more reviews
Reviewed June 30, 2013

we don't live that far from here, but hadn't visited for a few years so were a bit confused to find the entrance has changed. I just love this house, which appears to be older than it actually is - full of pre- Raphaelite art and Art & Craft décor - best to visit on a weekend day if you don't want the guided tour - we like to be able to amble through in our own time - on a weekday if you have the tour it is by timed admissions only so you may have to wait to enter - gardens are superb, and lovely if you have a picnic - nice tea rooms with usual good food - William Morris shop is nice - there is a second hand book shop in the stables - staff are helpful if you need to ask questions, but occasionally they feel like 'house police' which I suppose they are really - got freaked out by one lady who blended into the background so well that she made us jump when she moved! - maybe it would be good if they could make small-talk when visitors are around? - getting the balance between intruding on visitors and being overly talkative, and ignoring them on the other hand can be very difficult - in the kitchen one guide was so busy talking to a couple that we couldn't ask a question of him. Now we have NT membership we'll be back again, as it is nice place to just drop into for afternoon tea and an amble round the gardens. Our thanks to the guy with the electric mobility transport buggy who gave us a lift back to the entrance as we were struggling a bit - nice that the facility is there to get to and from the reception area/car park.