“Big room, friendly staff. Not bad for a company-booked hotel.”

Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Big room, friendly staff. Not bad for a company-booked hotel.”
Reviewed September 18, 2009

This hotel was booked by my company for 3 nights for a course. The hotel website looks impressive and I was keen to see how this translated when I got there. The hotel itself is in a residential area and has large grounds and ample parking. The receptionist was nice although brisk with instructions and the bar and reception area looked recently refurbished and modern. The rooms are to the right and left of the main three storey 'house' and usually involve going up the stairs and over one of two restaurants and then back down more stairs. The hotel passageways were always warm - too warm for me- but I am sure they were appreciated.
My first night was in the very nice looking Chic restaurant. Unfortunately, the aesthetics of the restaurant were a stark contrast to the food which was terrible. The smoked salmon and prawns turned out to be a weird salmon unbreaded fishcake with one lukewarm prawn - obviously defrosted but overly cooked in the microwave. The chicken pie was in fact a white sauce with chicken in a dish, with a small pastry crust floating on top. The vegetables were brown and tasteless and I suspect, also boiled form frozen. The fruit salad was soft and obviously a few days old with orange juice on it.
The second and third night was spent in the Kavi (Indian) restaurant next door; it was magnificent! Although not hot curry, the taste was great, as was the freshly made peshwari naan. This more than made up for the Chic restaurant.
The room was very large with patio doors and had enough room for two tables with chairs and a sofa (I think it was a sofa bed). Wifi was free and had a good singal strength. A fairly large LCD TV with freeview was good. The bathroom was pleasant and well lit with plenty of towels. The only down side to the room was the power spikes (and drops) that affected the room lights a couple of times a night (my colleagues main light had given up completely). The bed was ok but not great, as were the pillows, but it was a double bed which was welcoming.
The gym was well equiped but not particularly safe or clean; by this I mean there was a lot of equipment but nothing to clean them with once you finished and there was probably too much equipment in the room to be safe. Nethertheless, a very welcome addition! I didn't try the pool or sauna but my colleague was impressed and used it regularly.
Overall, I would say the room was spacious and clean, the staff were nice and attentive, the gym was well equiped and luckily, an excellent alternative restaurant to the Chic one; do not stay here without trying the Kavi restaurant! Two of the best curries I have had in the UK.
As this hotel was booked for me I don't know the rate, hence a 3/5 stars. If it was also fairly cheap I would have to say that minus the Chic restaurant it would be 3-4 stars.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Cumbria
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I got the room on a deal for £50 B&B. The Hotel has clearly finished its refurbishment and most of the rooms seem to be in the annex to the original Manor House.
The Health club is in an adjacent converted house and the gym is superbly equipped.
The room was standard fair, the radiator stayed cold when turned off.
The staff were friendly and the buffet breakfast pleasant.
However, the Kavi Indian resteraunt was superb.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Dumfries
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Booked this hotel through an online site and after reading comments on Trip advisor almost cancelled. Glad i didn't. We received a warm welcome, the room (sleeping 3 adults) was perfect for our needs and the pool and leisure facilities were great. Staff could not have been more friendly and helpful with any request. Breakfast had a large choice and as much as we wanted. Only point was for those on a leisure break having to eat by 9.30 was a little early!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Bicester
Reviewed July 8, 2009

Firstly, I have never felt the urge to write a bad review about a hotel, but for some reason I do about this one. I’ve stayed in some rough places before but this one tops it.

First impressions were good, the reception and bar area are very nice, as you will see from the website. Receptionists were very efficient and polite. I've stayed in Ramada hotels numerous times so wasn't surprised by this.

It all started to fall apart when I got to my room, which I am currently sat in writing this. The interior is dated to say the least, yellowing light shades, grey net curtains, fading curtains. The bed is so lumpy that I have bruised ribs, and struggled to drift off to sleep (my girlfriend will testify that sleeping is normally not a problem). The walls are so thin, that everyone who walks passed my room on the horrendously creaky floor boards, sounds like they are actually in the room. There is also loud music coming from somewhere downstairs which goes on until late.

The bathroom is another let down. The bathroom suite seems to be made up of three different suites cobbled together, the blind is faded, the sash window is broken and the paint is flaking. There is also a nice little paper sign written in felt pen that seems to have been here a while, telling me the radiator might be hot. The complimentary toiletries look so cheap that I'm scared at what they might do to my skin!

Breakfast is another sham. First morning there was a lack of hash browns, so they were replaced with spicy potato wedges. SPICY POTATO WEDGES ON AN ENGLISH BREAKFAST!

You'll will at least be able to laugh, as you sit in the "Chic" restaurant, contemplating the irony of the name.

To summarise, I expect more from a Ramada, hell I expect more from a travel lodge. A bitter disappointment.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank CHARL13
JamesJagpal, Operations Manager at Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2009
Thank you for your compliments on our property.

However we deeply apologise you were inconvenienced on your stay.

We currently have two sections to the Hotel a newer wing and older wing. From looking at your review it seems you have stayed in our older wing of the Hotel. This may have been for a number of reasons such as we book all guests into our newer wing on a first come first serve basis. Also dependant some agents, rooms are booked on automatic allocation.

From looking into your night stay with us it appears there were rooms available in our new wing and if your concerns with the room were raised with reception we could have quite happy moved you over to a new room. Even though it is an older wing the our room standard is still higher than most Hotels and they have traditional features such as high ceilings, four poster beds in some, sash windows and decretive coving. However at the beginning of August we are having a full scale renovation of the 35 rooms in this wing.

I have raised your comments with the chef on duty who has informed me this was not the case and wedges are only used for buffets of lunch requests.

I hope you will return to our property and see that our newer wing towards the end of the year and also try our Chic and Kavi restaurants which many residents and outside guests enjoy.

Travelers are raving about these Wolverhampton hotels

Isle of Man
Reviewed May 8, 2009

Did you know that Ramada hotels are individually owned? I didn't. I stayed recently in the Ramada Park Hall Hotel, which had been described as 4*. In my opinion it was nowhere near 4*. I complained to Ramada in an email and received a phone message (which admittedly was very nice) saying that the hotel would contact me directly within one week; it did not. I will not use Ramada hotels again as it would appear that the quality of hotels described as "Ramada hotels" cannot be relied upon and, at the moment, it seems that the hotel owners are not controlled by Ramada. I certainly would not consider staying in the Ramada Park hall again; the Premier Inn in Wolverhampton was of far higher quality.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wilkesman
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I've stayed here a few times and have to stay, i'm disappointed considering it's a Ramada. The staffing levels are low, with long waits at reception and sometimes there is nobody available to check you out in the mornings. Breakfast is served in a brightly lit white room with the worst selection of food i've come across in any hotel of this standard.

The rooms are shabby, bland and do not have a cosy feel. The only saving grace to this hotel is the gym and the Indian restaurant. The gym opens at 6am and is very nice if a little cramped. The Indian restaurant attached to the hotel serves great food and is very unexpected.

Overall, the hotel is good value compared to others in the area but the rooms and service levels let it down.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2009

What a bizarre place in the middle of a 70s housing estate. The ostentatious and distinctly dodgy looking fountain in the car park sets the tone. I felt let down by Ramada - is this place really part of an established chain? I wanted to get out the moment I got in. The only good thing to say is the rooms were clean - but the bedding rustled like straw and the beds need replacing. The worst breakfast offer I have seen in a long time. Ramada - you need to take action now to save your reputation.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank milly_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolverhampton
The Mount Hotel
Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel
Barons Court Hotel
Barons Court Hotel
#2 of 20 in Wolverhampton

Been to Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!