“Basic but clean hotel.”

Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Basic but clean hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Clean room but very basic.
Small rooms with no internet access in the rooms, only in the lobby areas, then when in the lobby area internet kept cutting out.
Hotel very good location surrounded by bars and restaurants.
After reading the room information about the hotel..i noticed check out was 12pm Mon-Fri...only for my room to be called at 11.30 to say check out was 11am. Not good communication at all. Rude reception staff on this occasion!

Room Tip: Dont have a single room...tiny!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Greek first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

having read the reviews before arriving we expected the worst. However, the room was perfectly servicable, despite the rattling lift up to it..

We opted to eat elsewhere, and after speaking to fellow travellers this morning made the right decision. Highly recommend the indian buffet on queen st (johnny spice) and theres a nandos and chinese there too.

Room was airless and hot, but it is the hottest weekend of the year.. Breakfast was acceptable, not the best but not the worst..

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank dullandboring
Llangrannog, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Shabby hotel and dated decor but then it is cheap. My bed linen was clean and there were 2 clean towels but the rest of the room was dirty — the bin hadn't been emptied, tea making tray filthy, bathroom not cleaned especially the toilet, carpet dirty, bits of rubbish around. I didn't ask to move as the staff were busy having an argument with some poor guy who'd booked a month ago but they said didn't have a room. Also I have stayed before and know that most of the rooms are very noisy, either facing the street (sirens, pub noise, traffic) or the back road (linen truck at 4am, extremely noisy) so I thought, well at least the bed's clean and I will be able to sleep, which I did apart from the clanging pipes early in the morning. If you must stay here ask for a room facing into the middle not the streets. Don't bother with the yukky food — there's a Wetherspoons across the road. I would say do yourself a favour, pay a tenner or so extra and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the middle of the hotel - the ones looking out to the streets are really noisy...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank surfergr1

Travelers are raving about these Wolverhampton hotels

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Booked this hotel for one night and one reason only and that was my daughter's university graduation in the auditorium next door. Room decor is basic, bit old but for one night its OK.

WiF-Fi is rubbish, very weak signals in the rooms. Not much else to say about this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ArefMobarak
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

after reading reviews about this hotel prior to my trip, i was very worried about going to this hotel, but as soon as we arrived we were greeted at the entrance by staff, asked if we would like our two twin rooms closer together, as they realised we were a family booked in.The rooms were dated but clean, clean sheets and nice clean towels, toiletries in room for use.The food was just ok, but they id make other food for the kids, which was very kind of them.Didn't get much sleep as the room overlooked the front of the hotel where there were groups shouting and fighting late at night, but that wasn't the hotels fault. The staff were lovely and i couldn't complain about anything. pleasant stay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great location for the centre and it was clean. Other than those two things, the hotel was not very pleasant. It was shabby with broken light shades and grubby windows.Breakfast was adequate, various choices of hot food but not very good quality ingredients.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

.. by staying at The Brittania!

Are you bored or maybe a little bit worn down by the relentless grind of everyday life? Perhaps you feel there is something missing or something more out there? In that case, I would heartily recommend a night in The Brittania in Wolverhampton.

I'm not sure at which point I realised ignoring the reviews on this site was a mistake, it might have been entering the hotel when my hand stuck to the door handle or maybe once I had felt the atmosphere of despair in the foyer but it was definitely before I was told my executive double had magically morphed into a twin and no, I couldn't have a refund. Blinded to all the obvious signs I went up to the room we'd been given and uttered the phrase that doomed me as I slid the key in the door (repeatedly, it didn't work all that well) "come on, how bad can it be?".

A couple of hours later, after some significant retail therapy in the town centre, I felt marginally better and told myself that returning to the hotel wouldn't feel like entering a dystopian nightmare second time around, I was wrong. This time round experience had triumphed over hope and I could no longer pretend that the handprints on the outside of the window (useful as it turns out, as they meant I could actually see through a small patch of the glass to the view of a brick wall) were a good omen as they proved that someone at some point had actually wanted to get into the room. I was no longer able to put a positive spin on the fact that there was an ensuite ("look, at least we don't have to share!") and I was no longer confident that the light fitting above one of the beds wasn't actually going to fall on our heads in the night. (I reported the assorted bits of damage to reception but was met with a shrug and a world weary sigh.) And I could no longer pretend that the stains on the wallpaper weren't the result of a previous tenants dirty protest.

The bed wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as it looked, although I was kept awake by the assorted sounds of other people in the hotel throughout the night. Mainly there was a lot of sobbing interwoven with the odd shout and hacking cough. In the morning, cold and hungry and feeling sad I decided to make the most of my stay and try the breakfast. I won't go into too much detail but try and imagine a Bushtucker trial in a bail hostel and you'll be near the mark.

Suffice to say I didn't stay another night. I ran to the safety, customer service and cleanliness of the Novotel. Remarkably my relationship survived the night and I now have a whole new appreciation for my life and all the wonderful things in it; edible food, clean sheets and non sticky carpet.

To summarise, don't make the mistake I did and ignore these reviews. In fact, don't make the mistake I did and actually book a room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple