“Ate in restaurant, very poor service”

Britannia Hotel Wolverhampton
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
WEST MIDLANDS
“Ate in restaurant, very poor service”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Ate here before theatre show. Food ok but service very, very poor, had to wait five mins at self service for more hot food. Not friendly staff, very much like a poor cafe not a nice hotel. Will not eat here again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank SIMPOP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Greek first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

First time i booked this hotel on expedia and it was because of the price being £29 for a double smoking room which I find was a bargain. Firstly I was waiting in the queue for 15 minutes because there was a issue wid a gentlemen's booking in front of me but the worse thing was there was another member of staff at the back that didn't bother come out and the queue got bigger. Anyway when my turn came the lady was polite and apologised for waiting and gave my room key quick. So then I went up to the room wid my partner and there were two single beds, it was 9pm and i was tired, i went back down and waited in the queue again and when I finally was seen, the lady said I know what your going to say, we don't have no double rooms left thats why I gave you two singles. I was fuming because she could have at least told me before I went up then coming bak down. It didnt make sense because I booked a double room? The room was dirty, dampy and the noise out side was so loud of people loading trunks and people at work. The only good thing was the heater that was on all night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Neena D

Travelers are raving about these Wolverhampton hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Bedding and towels clean, only good points!! Went with a group of friends, went down for 'dinner' and were told we had to share with other people on tables as they hasn't bothered putting tables together for us!! Dinner was a choice of sausage, liver and bacon or chicken thighs with some lame looking veg!! I think I saw basil faulty chasing manual across the restaurant! Had a few drinks in the public bar attached to hotel, some very dodgy characters in there, toilets were filthy, bins were overflowing with paper towels. No, valances on beds, carpets worn and overall rooms and hotel needs a major revamp, oh and seemed to be some strange people hanging around reception!! Was cheap, and I guess you get what you pay for!! Won't be going there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nik G
Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed for three nights in a single room on second floor. The good news was that as stated in other reviews, the towels and bedding where clean. It was a busy weekend for the staff due to an event at the Civic so a queue to check in can be excused. However, be under no illusion, the standard of accommodation was very poor. The furniture was broken and old. Carpet was badly stained and dirty, obviously been down for at least 15 years in my estimation - definitely needed footwear on stepping out of bed! I went out to buy cleaning products in order to feel able to use the bathroom without catching something! The wash basin was cracked and there was a definite ring of slime around the plug hole. The bathroom floor was dirty too and splashes from previous guests had not been removed. there was mould growing around the tiles of the shower. The whole hotel requires a deep clean, even the corridors and stairs had dirty stains where something had been spilt and never mopped up. The owner of this establishment should be held up as a disgrace to the hospitality industry. I feel sorry for the people who work here. The reason they don't ask if you enjoyed your stay is SO obvious. I won't be returning and wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Janet G
UK
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Arrived in the middle of a Friday afternoon to find a queue of people waiting to check in. 40 minutes later we approach the check-in. A couple from France are filling in about four different forms. The couple in front of us are told that they somehow underpaid by £7 when booking online and have to pay the extra now, and will be subject to yet another £2 transaction fee if using their card again. However our check in went smoothly and we were given our swipe card and told where to find our room. About 10 minutes later after navigating a bit of a maze into some kind of an annex, we find it. It's not too big but I've stayed in smaller on the continent. The bathroom is clean enough though my other half finds one hair (and not of the head variety) on the toilet seat. The floor looks as if it needs a vacuum. But otherwise it seems clean enough and will do for our three night stay.

Our friends, who checked in later, were put in the 'smoking' area of the hotel despite asking not to be there. (I also thought that smoking bedrooms were illegal in the UK now but I've clearly got that wrong). Their room stank of smoke which is unpleasant for non-smokers. However when they asked to change room, they were told that there were no further rooms available. At least they had a room, however. While they were asking to change rooms, a group of six people arrived, having paid for three rooms in advance. They were told they could only have two of these rooms, and that there wasn't a third. When they contested this, having already paid, the receptionist said that the hotel had an overbooking policy. Somehow it could be overbooked and it seemed to be rooms available on a first-come first-served basis. I thought that usually in circumstances like this a hotel would arrange for another room in another hotel in the local area. However they said that the people would need to walk around the town to find something themselves. In my opinion this is very poor.

Later, we bumped into a man staying in a room near ours in the annex, who was in a rush and had just discovered that the room card he was given didn't work on his door, which had a keyhole and no slot for a room card. You would expect the hotel to know which rooms had cards and which didn't, and I wondered which room the card was actually set to open.

The rest of our stay went OK. A number of people queuing up to check in told us to avoid the breakfasts there, so I can't comment on those. We went to the Wetherspoons pub across the road for decent enough food at a reasonable price.

The best thing about this hotel is the location, directly opposite Wolverhampton railway station, and a stone's throw for the bus station. Just what we needed to be able to attend a weekend series of concerts at the Civic Hall. The bed was quite firm but comfortable enough to sleep on. Our room was on the inside of the hotel so very quiet apart from some people shouting in the corridors at about 3am one morning, but this of course is not the fault of the hotel. They provided teabags and coffee, with sugar and milk, and there was a hairdryer. The TV was very old but it worked. The shower and bath were fine, until the last morning, when we had no hot water despite waiting for a while and trying several times. Our friends staying in a different part of the hotel also had no hot water.

In summary, it's in a decent location, feels safe inside, is generally clean (the floor was vacuumed after day 1) and the staff were quite friendly. I would stay there again if I just wanted somewhere as a basic stopover, but would make sure I turned up early to guarantee I got my room, and would take proof of payment with me to make sure that I had paid my bill in full before arrival. Definitely not recommended for romantic weekends!!

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room, make sure to ask well in advance. The outside of the hotel is on a m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SugarMouse
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We had to spend ages waiting to check in , and despite having confirmation they struggled to find us and missed the fact we had booked breakfast (only for 1 in error) so we added a second
The room was clean and reception and other staff helpful and friendly . until breakfast where we were made first to go back to reception as we only had one breakfast ticket . we had paid for two at this point . only to return and still be kept waiting like criminals. I am sure this could have been checked and dealt with in a more professional manner. If there had been a problem we would still have been sat in the breakfast room eating the breakfast after all !!!!
but if the computer had not been so slow and messed up the problem would not have arisen

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anniepatricia
S-O-T
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Grubbythroughout, uncomfortable beds, ill fitting curtains, dirty bathroom. Breakfast cheap and nasty, carton juice, tinned mushrooms and sliced bread- nothing to recommend it and definitely would not stay again. Long wait at reception and key card hadn't been programmed correctly and couldn't get in the room so had to trail back to reception- not impressed

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family