“Horrific hotel should be shut down or you should be paid to stay there”

Britannia Hotel Wolverhampton
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Do not stay here unless you want to stay in a room where the bathroom has holes punched into the wall and the rooms look like they've never seen a clean.

Hotel staff couldn't care less about complaints and almost seem put out when you comment about a non smoking room you've requested yet it's quite apparent someone has smoked in the room...I thought it was against the law to smoke in doors...apparently not at the Britannia.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Melanie B
There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel Wolverhampton

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The whole hotel needs a deep clean. None of the rooms I have stayed in have been spotless but if you you are unfortunate enough to be in room 207. Bad luck. The bathroom is horrendous, like a 1970s squat and I reckon some of the congealed soap and pubic hair has been lying around in there since then. There is a large leak stain on the bedroom ceiling and the luggage shelf is hanging off the wall. A dreadful room.

Breakfast is always a lottery. Don't arrive too late because you might not have a choice of anything but toasted crusts. The hotel staff are reluctant to restock the buffet after half past nine (breakfast finishes at 10.00am). On the other hand you may get a choice of fruit juices, tinned fruit, cereal, and a half decent full English breakfast if you time it right. Tea is always horrible, coffee is sometimes drinkable. If you can get a good breakfast then it is worth the £5 special offer price.

Does the hotel have any good points? The staff are usually quite amenable. There are free newspapers. The hotel is central to everything you need in the city centre. Our bed was comfortable and we both slept well. I will stay again because it is cheap and my expectations for this hotel are low and I am therefore never disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the two main roads are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WanderingGazza
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I required a place to stay for two nights as I was working in the area but having booked the hotel before reading the reviews I was left with feelings of mild dread.
These disappeared upon arrival as the hotel looks lovely from the outside with quite a posh foyer to match. The corridors are smart and clean and the room itself was very nice indeed. Much better than all of the Travel Lodges I have stayed in recently; quite cosy in fact.
I have no idea where most of the negative reviews come from but I can only attribute them to mass hysteria. There is no noise from the night club opposite (which, by the way, is housed in a magnificent building) as it has been shut for many months now. The area of Wolverhampton the Britannia is situated in is close to many bars, restaurants and fast food outlets so visitors will not be bored or hungry. The only downside to the hotel is the bar. It seems like the owners have tried to make it modern and stylish but it's just cheap and clinical looking with a less than sophisticated clientelle due to the ridiculously cheap drinks on offer.

The Britannia may not be ideal for honeymooning couples but it is fantastic for work parties or those simply needing a base from which to do other things.

I cannot comment on the food as I did not try it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kronstadt
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at the Britannia on the 23rd of Feb after a concert at the civic hall. The Britannia chain is well known and being from Coventry, I'm aware of some of their hotels and services so I booked a double room at a cost of £46.40 (plus £2 card surcharge).

The hotel is in view as you step out of the train station and is approx 5 mins from the civic hall which is ideal but thats about the only good thing. The interior of the hotel is tired, dated and smells stale.

Our room was spacious but dirty, old and freezing. The carpet was covered in dirty stains and marks, the bathroom was damp/mouldy and had thick layers of dust over everything. We were at the front of the hotel and during the night the noise is horrendous from the wine bar across the road.

Although we only used the hotel as a place to rest our heads, we got very little sleep as the bed was unbelieveably hard and being 24 I don't expect to wake up feeling like I have the joints of a 70 year old!

Based on our impression of the room/reception we opted to eat at the wetherspoons across the road so I can't comment on the restaurant service etc - it looked like a school cafe which also put us off.

I can't rate the hotel as terrible as their staff were at least helpful and friendly but that's the only good point, well that and leaving.

Would I stay again? Not if you paid me...currently awaiting a response to my complaint!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Doody1988
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night as we went to a concert at the civic, booked it through late rooms.com so got a good price and the hotel served its purpose but would have been very disappointed if paid full price, hotel in general need of refurbishment and the room was ok but our bathroom had no heating and was freezing. Breakfast we booked the night before so paid £5 instead of £10 which again was ok but definitely not worth £10, the tea was barely drinkable. I would stay again but certainly not at full price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

as hotel was quiet cheap wasnt expecting great things but the whole hotel smelt of tobacco smoke as i was travelling with my grand child we choose to eat in hotel big mistake the food was cold and badly presented breakfast was no better tea was in a flask and even at 7 30 tasted stewed

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for one night. I requested a non smoking room but was allocated a smoking room on arrival. The room was disgusting it smelled really strongly of cigarettes. I requested another room but was told the hotel was full. I felt like I was sleeping in an ashtray it was appalling. I have since complained and asked for a refund which has been refused as "I actually stayed in the room" I would never ever stay in this hotel again even if it was free....

• Stayed: November 2012