“Stained, sticky carpet!!”

Britannia Hotel Wolverhampton
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here for one night on 8th December, immediate impression was that hotel was dated and in need of refurbishment but seemed ok. However, our room was very basic with a badly stained and sticky carpet. Tea/coffee supplied but no spoon to make a drink with. The double bed was pushed against the wall under the window which was single glazed with a huge crack in the glass. The room looked out onto the nightclub opposite which was noisy but have to say the bed was comfy and the sheets were clean. Slept ok but woke up a few times feeling cold because of the draught coming through the window. Had to go down some stairs to the bathroom which was a first and the toilet was squeezed between the end of the bath and wall so had to wedge my bum between the two!! We looked at the rubber bath mat and decided not to use it........ We'd paid £62 per couple for B&B (breakfast was on offer for £5 per guest) and the breakfast was ok, but wouldn't have paid £10 each for it! Our friends room was bigger than ours and in their opinion much better than ours!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nicola_edwards73

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Whilst I agree the decor of the hotel has seen better days I feel some of the previous comments are unfair. Facilities were basic, rather dated but clean. Meals were not gourmet but perfectly edible. The staff were friendly and helpful. Its the old adage - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You can't expect 5 star when you pay 2 star prices.
The one problem is the noise factor and both the hotel and the tour operator (National Holidays) should be more honest about that. Luckily we had a side room, small but enough for our one night stay, the bed was comfortable and we slept like logs. But upnfortunately other members of our group were subjected to severe noise disruption from the nearby nigtclub and got very little sleep.

Room Tip: Side and rear rooms are best for a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2012

i have stayed here for four years and never had any problems we went in november overnight or as we thought , we had booked up in july only to be told when we got there that our room was cancelled due to debit card we used had expired, that was rubbish we had used the card that morning to get cash out mmmm how strange. there were three other people before us all with the same complaint very odd , the staff of course didnt take the blame themselves but tried to blame who we had booked with , not happy as we had friends coming to us later that night and had to book into another hotel very lucky to find one as it was the darts weekend and was very busy. we will never stay there again on principal that they could not admit a mistake we all make them .

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank StokeOnTrentAngela
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Spent one night only Thank goodness. Noise level from Nightclub opposite was unbearable. Surely "Duty of care" is required by the hotel to its customers and we should have been told at booking in, that they knew [staff told me so at 2am after I went and spoke to them re lack of, sorry no sleep at all from 11pm onwards, by time I got to sleep it was at least 3 45am ] sleeping would be difficult in the front facing room we were given. All I received from staff was "We know, but there is nothing we can do about it. the Night Club has been given permission to play loud music until 3am" GREAT!!!! . So the hotel takes its money and customers suffer.Fantastic response. We were allowed into the room with the hotel knowing we would have this problem. That about sums up the Duty of Care this hotel has for its customers. NONE!!!. A weekend trip spoilt. BEWARE!!!! If you are offered a front facing room RUN!!! You would be better off staying in the local Bus Station next door.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ALAN6821
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Booked two rooms on line and received an email confirmation and number only to receive another email a couple of hours later telling me my reservation had been cancelled due to "session time out" I rang the number on the email and the chap told me he had "reinstated the booking" When we arrived at the hotel the receptionist told us that the "system was down" and she would need our booking ref number. Eventually after emailing the booking from my smartphone to her computer (not the system that was down) she checked us in and took payment, but couldn't issue a receipt because.............."the system was down". I have since called the hotel and central reservations for a receipt 7 times but have ben told they can't email it only post it. Ten days later and I still haven't received a receipt or a promised phone call to tell me that they have dealt with it. The rooms in the hotel are minimalist (tiny) to say the least, the bar in the hotel only accepts cash (no booking to room) the tea in the rooms is a cross between earl gray and dish water and the duvet would just about cover a small child.The 14" TV was from the 70's with its built in VHS vcr and if my arms had been a tad longer I could have touched both walls.Dont expect a car park, that is over at the station and costs (a special price) £5.00 All in all Britannia a very poor effort considering that the nearby Premier Inn can offer far more including a car park and 32" LCD TV for almost the same price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Overthebluemoon
Reviewed November 22, 2012

..that's all you can say really. What started me off, was that I had booked via an internet booking service and then had to pay a surcharge when I checked in. Legally, you have to advise a consumer in advance if they are being surcharged. It's a bit late when you are checking in at 11pm. After that, the shabby appearance of the corridors, scuffed doors, mouldy bathmats and the rest of it reminded me why staying in a 'non-branded' hotel in the UK leaves me feeling let down. It's small wonder people take to the Hiltons, Marriotts etc - these brands have a reputation to keep.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RicksterBerlin
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Had a terrible experience at this hotel over the weekend after such a great day at the darts at Civic Hall. We booked this stay in August and paid for a double and asked for a high floor. When we arrived we had been allocated a twin and told that no rooms were available on a high floor. When we viewed the room it stank of smoke including the bed linen, when my partner complained to the so called duty manager he was rude and completely unhelpful. He eventually agreed to change the sheets and spray some airfreshner wehich he did but he was extremely unhappy about it stomping about the room and all he said was that was the best he could do. The bed covers still smelt of smoke.

When we got to bed at the back of 11pm we didn't realise our room 109 was right at the loading bay for the grand theatre next door. A show was obviously coming to the end and they parked a lorry right outside our room and about 20 staff started moving equipment and loading the lorry. This carried on for sometime so myself and my partner visited reception to complain about the noice. The receptionist Craig said normally staff ask the grand theatre to keep the noise down as it is a regular problem. He said he would ask the duty manager to come to our room we waited 15 minutes and no one arrived so we went back to the reception. Craig said he had asked him to come and see us which he hadn't done. The duty manager at this point came out and said it was basically our fault for booking a city centre hotel and they are not responsible for noise at the grand theatre or do anything about it. Customer service by Sabin the duty manager shocking.

Craig the receptionist agreed to come and see how noisy it was for us, we returned to the room and the card would not work to get us back in the room. Craig then got the master keys and none of them would work. He claimed that this had never happened before and that the only option would be to call maintenance and ask someone to come in to try and get the door open. I was basically stuck at reception for over 2 hours in my pyjama's waiting on the maintenance person to arrive from home, Sabin claimed he lived 5 minutes away then left for home leaving poor Craig to deal with us. Whilst sitting at reception all kinds of people walked in and out of the hotel mostly drunks that had no room booked. It's shocking that a chain like this allows this to go on and that they don't keep any rooms for emergency situations. When the maintence guy arrived he said he lived about 25 minutes away but had been drinking so had to get someone to drive him. Eventually we got in our room about 2.55am from the back of 11pm. I was in tears at this point.

Shocking treatment by so called duty manager but very honest and decent treatment from Craig the receptionist who was left to deal with all chaos.

Safe to say we won't be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple