“Worst booking”

Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Worst booking”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Booked this as a cheap overnight stay as we had a early train 1st room we was given as soon as the door was opened it smelled of a dirty ashtray an open black sack had been left on chair full of rubbish lifted the bag to find crusts of stale bread. After complaining wa given 2nd room on 3rd floor the whole landing was covered in sheets that the cleaners had put out of rooms in small bundles. The room was well awful the bathroom door did not shut carpet was full of stains I wouldn't take of my shoes off, cups were filthy and overall mucky. We were told there was an a la cart menu when we asked was told fish,lasagne, pork chop all served with chips when I asked what was vegetarian option was told I could have salad with chips. We went and called premier inn that's just over the way much better stay will never stay in a Britania hotel again!!! Don't do it

Room Tip: Call another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Greek first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have stayed here a few, separate times on business.

The hotel itself is in a very good location to get... well anywhere really. The staff are very friendly and very accommodating.

The rooms however; the first one I was given absolutely stunk of cigarette smoke, the carpet felt damp and one of the lights was out and the rest were very dingy. I went to reception straight away and explained the issue, to which they were most helpful and apologetic and immediately moved me up to the bridal suite which was very nice, very clean, very spacious and very comfortable.

The second time I stayed, the room I stayed in was adequate, the wallpaper appeared to be peeling somewhat and the carpet was fairly worn and tatty and just generally outdated, though it was clean and sufficient enough.

The last time I stayed was the same situation, I asked to be moved this time and was again, moved to a honeymoon suite by way of apology which was very similar to the bridal suite. The hotel is in definite need of a good spruce up. The standard rooms are just that, very standard, very basic and some a lot worse! I think the staff are also aware of this but they do make up for it somewhat.

Breakfast was lovely, consecutively, every time I have visited, lots on offer and all very fresh and again, the staff were very friendly.

Overall I would stay here again, perhaps wouldn't particularly recommend this to anyone without warning. I think if it just had a large "spruce-up" and update of decor it could be amazing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
stockport
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Had a three night stay as me and my wife were going to the v festival and easy shuttle bus commute from wolves. Good points location near train station and shuttle bus stop for v . Also main town round the corner and bar next door had lager and bitter happy hour 11am til 4pm £1.50 per pint . Hotel Is outdated and needs renovation floors squeaky shower curtain mouldy room small . Needs a good paint job and make it a bit more appealing. Wasn't impressed with fire alarms going off at 2am although unsure if it was faulty or guests acting up. All in all would go v festival again but unlikely to stay there again £65 a night it was room only but all in all better than a tent at v

Stayed August 2012
South Shields
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Booked a trip with National Holidays and they took my family to stay at this awful hotel.
Well to say i was appalled at the conditions they expect you to sleep in is an understatement, We were expected to stay in room 301. This room was full of mould, damp crawling the walls and ceiling, stains all over the walls and carpets, cracked bathroom window, not to mention the filth of a bathroom. Dirty bed linen not to mention what the actual pillows and duvet were covered in??? dead flies, moths all over unhoovered floor smell beyond vile and they expected me to stay there with my daughter and niece of nine. I went down to reception to complain, asked to be moved and they said this was impossible? the housekeeper was asked to go to room and change bedding, in turn we left the hotel and went to find somewhere else to stay. On finding suitable accomodation I went back to the Britannia hotel to check out. The next morning on meeting back outside of the hotel (we did not want to go back inside) we were met with a madman driver driving back and forth staring at us alongside two men exchanging a package and money I shall let you make the judgement of what was going on! How can a well known company put families in an area like this and expect you to feel safe..! I have already wrote a complaint direct to them and only hope they do the decent thing and reimburse me. Never ever stay here, I shall certainly not be visiting Wolverhampton any time soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Donna B

Travelers are raving about these Wolverhampton hotels

Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Last minute overnight stay at short notice saw me stay here for one night. I need to say that it only cost me £24 so in terms of price it was ok but it did have some major points.

The style of the hotel is tired, old and very outdated. The room was very worn out with dirty ripped wallpaper, tired furniture and rotting wooden window frames. The bed was ancient but I must say bedding and towels were crisp and clean. Just as well as I would have walked out otherwise. My room was just outside a nearby fire exit of the next building and the ground was full of cigarrete stubs

Breakfast was rubbish. The typical british breakfast was on offer with little choice and stale looking food. I has prepaid for this but due to a "technical hitch" my name wasn't on the list. The waiter shouted this at me loudly in a way which made heads turn and me very embarrassed. I was told I could eat if I had a credit card. I sat and ate, by which time the waiter had confirmed my prepayment with the front desk. Pathetic service!

On the subject of front desk staff, a smile would be nice. I was in Wolverhampton due to very sad family reason and a single smile, false or not, would have been nice that day...nothing.

Parking was offsite at the rail station for £5 per day which I thought was reasonable.

A complaint letter took 7 weeks for a reply which was just a typical "thank you for telling us" response.

OK, for £24 what do you want...I want a clean room with polite staff, at least half decent food. Not too much to ask for now is it.

Room Tip: My top tip...don't bother staying here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Chris F
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have just stayed here for 4nights and had a very enjoyable stay.The food was well cooked tasty and there was plenty of it .We did have an issue with the food for dietary reasons but we saw the management who put us in contact with the lady who runs the restaurant and between the lady and the chef wthey done all they could to put on food that was nearer to our requirements and were very helpful.The food was well cooked and plenty of it.The staff were also very good and the room was kept very clean and topped up with toiletries.Yes there is certain parts of the hotel needs a bit of tidying up but you have to think of it as very old and also with the price you pay it is a budget hotel and therefore good value . Also as the hotel is on the main street in the town you will have a certain amount of noise at the front but it is close to the bus and rail station.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kr8476
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is by far the most appalling service I've experienced in a hotel. I arrived to find that not only had my room been double booked but a number of other guest's rooms had as well.

The three staff on duty seemed completely unaware of the concept of a hotel and merely shrugged on being informed that, as we had booked the room in advance, we would actually like to stay in it.

I can only assume that all three of them were starting in the business that day.

While the other guests were told to find alternative hotels (at extra cost), I was offered an alternative room with a camp bed. As I had no choice I accepted and was given a bed with no middle making the floor the only practical place to sleep for the night.

Added to which the room was filthy and the shower only operated as a kettle.

It would be funny if it wasn't frightening that this business is allowed to trade.

Oh and the man on the desk's suit collar was turned up.

Do not stay here under any circumstance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends