“Definitely the best Worthing can offer”

The Ardington Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Geelong
“Definitely the best Worthing can offer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in April 2013 while visiting relatives in Sussex. I am originally from Worthing (live down under now) and I was keen to spend a night in the old home town. Most other hotels in Worthing seem to be completely worn out and get poor reviews, or have either burned down and been replaced by apartment (The Warnes) or have been demolished (The Beachhouse Hotel). The Chatsworth is still there, but gets dodgy reviews.

So based in my pal TripAdvisor I picked the Ardington- not somewhere I had ever noticed when I lived in Worthing.

The booking process is a bit off-putting - you can't book online and have to do it by email (always a security issue with proving a credit card). This would be my only suggestion for improvement - come fully into the modern world and let people book securely online. Nevertheless, the were no issues with the booking and they were expecting when I arrived!

There was a warm welcome, a very nice superior double room - not huge, but nicely furnished and decorated. Bathroom was fine with a shower over the bath. Would have preferred a shower screen to the shower curtain.

I ate dinner in the restaurant which runs the rather curious slogan "You don't have to sleep with us to eat with us" which is somewhat reassuring.

I had whitebait as a starter which I suspect was from frozen rather than fresh (but still nice), followed by Steak Diane - perfectly cooked and with fabulous chips. This was servers with a HUGE glass if wine (must be almost half a bottle) and sparkling water. Service by the young German waiter was sweetly personal and attentive.

Free wifi was very patchy and seemed to be switched off after midnight. Checkout was friendly and swift. I paid £3.50 for parking and was able to leave my car right outside the whole day.

Definitely recommended if you are staying in Worthing. I doubt there is anything better.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lynnburn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We now always stay at the Ardington when visiting relatives in Sussex. It is very comfortable and the staff are excellent. Breakfast is good and plenty of choice, well served. Bar area is cosy and welcoming.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are much quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank david_trafford1
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

My son and I were in Worthing for a spot of minigolf, I picked this hotel as it seemed from the reviews that the service was second to none, in fact I thought it would have about 10 rooms when in fact they were numbered above 60.

We arrived very early but didn't need to check in, just wanted to dump a bag. The receptionist was very friendly. When we returned later there was a small wait for the room (again, we were early and wanted to get out of the rain) but nothing to worry about. Location was good, just along from the pier about 50 yards (I guess) from the beach. Parking wasn't too bad, £1 an hour before 6pm on a Saturday and free on Sunday.

The room itself was a twin (59) and clean, neat with a fridge (which we turned off overnight) complete with water and a couple of Kit Kats and a big LCD TV. The bedroom was functional and passed the white towel test! Really pleased. Beds were fairly comfy.

We almost ate in the town but thought we would splash out on the restaurant. Sadly it was booked for a function but we were told we could order A La Carte and sit in the lounge. Actually this was more informal and better for the 2 of us. The hotel didn't have to do this as they were really busy with functions but it showed how they valued customer happiness.

Food was awesome. Our starters were scallops with duck (amazing apple puree) and smoked salmon with a Thai salad - both Masterchef final standard! We then ordered a couple of steaks with hand cut (I think) chips. The sour bread was great too, and the Becks was cold and refreshing. We couldn't face a dessert but the Bailys creme brulee sounded great. Service (from the hotel owner?) was top drawer.

We got a good nights sleep and then on to breakfast. Holy smoke! There were cereals, fruit, yoghurt fruit juice, but that was a waste of space - the fried breakfast was superb! Great sausage, tasty bacon, devine toast, even the beans were strangely excellent! And all served by a happy team. Coffee was in a pot with a small milk jug. Excellent!

So all in all we had a great time. I can't emphasise how good the service was, I look forward to another trip to Worthing next year.

Book now!

Room Tip: 59 was at the top and reasonably quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank marting
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I thought this hotel was ok, not amazing but ok for one night. The guy on reception was a bit off with us when we arrived and a different guy wasn't very helpful when we left (we were carrying lots of luggage and he could have offered to hold the door!). Our room was clean and quiet but the bed wasn't comfortable. As we were paying for a 'premium double' I expected a double/king bed, not two singles pushed together, which I don't really like.

Breakfast was ok, the full English food was a buffet and I prefer everything freshly cooked. But maybe I'm just fussy. It's conveniently located on the sea front but has no parking, you have to buy a ticket to park on the road outside.

So I thought it was ok, but not worth the £90.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank browneyedsarah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed one night in the Ardington Hotel on 9th April on Business. The hotel is in an old building, but has plenty of character and is very clean and tidy. I didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening so can't comment on that, but I did have breakfast. There was a good selection of cooked breakfast, fruits, cereals, toast etc. buffet style.
The check in process was very quick and the receptionist was friendly and helpful.
My room was upgraded to a double room, which although small had everything I needed, including a good selection of tea/coffee and some shortbread!
I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area for business in particular, as the location is excellent.

Room Tip: Double rooms are much more spacious- single rooms looked very small.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here for one night in March.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was pleasant and clean, with very comfortable beds and fabulous lightweight duvets. A tea tray with biscuits was most welcome.

Eating in the restaurant was a pleasure. The food was very well cooked and tasty. I had some of the best fish and chips I've ever had. Although I was part of a very large group, the waiting staff managed their job very efficiently. The breakfast choice was excellent.

There is no lift so anyone with a disability would have difficulty staying here.

I would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Worthing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

On previous visits to Worthing we had popped in for a pre dinner drink and enjoyed sitting in the lounge.The bar serves a good range of bottled beers which I particuarly enjoy.The glasses of
wine are also generous in size.

Due to our usual accomodation being unavailable we reserved a Superior Room at the Ardington for our latest visit to Worthing.

It proved to be a good choice.The room was clean,spacious and contemporary.The staff throughout the hotel were friendly.The breakfast was excellent and as usual we had an enjoyable pre dinner drink in the lounge.

One minor criticism (which applies to many hotels) is that there is not a mirror by the dressing table.

Would certainally return next time.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are worth the small extra charge
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple