All reviews train station original features booked a triple room first floor sunday night biscuits ales hairdryer television england steve
Selected filters
Reviewed April 2, 2019 via mobile

I arrived and all was well
Got to my room and all the windows were open and it was freezing
I closed the windows and went for some food to come back 2 hrs later to the room stinking of what can only discribed as poo
To be told no other rooms for you with a "can't be arsed attitude"
I asked for a refund and went somewhere else
And I'm stl waiting for my refund after calling the landlord 6 times
Not very professional

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2019

We have stayed before somewhat taken in by the history of this old hotel with its range of old lighting, seating etc in the place plus a red telephone box in the conservatory etc

Booking in we asked if food was being served in the evening and was told - yes. At 6.35 pm we got drinks and then pursued the menu. Upon seeking then to order. We were told the kitchen shut at 7pm! However, the chef supplied our order. An information sheet in the bedroom on the wall said food was served until 9pm! So not impressed.
Took a time getting to sleep because the thump thump thump of so-called music from below together with laughter and shouting outside became annoying.

Breakfast was a disaster. It was the cleaning lady who made a pot of tea for us. We asked where the table was with cereals etc and no there wasn't. There wasn't any cereals unless you wanted bran flakes (two small boxes on shelf. We did manage to get a sort off cooked breakfast but nothing to write home about.
Sadly, this venue for b and b has hit the buffers and we won't be going again.
The bed was ok but as so many light bulbs were naff it was disconcerting. The luggage case rack was broken and useless and the stool for the dressing table was in two parts! The hairdryer hose was falling to bits. One washbasin tap was loose, the bathroom window wouldn't shut and low and behold high up on the bedroom window was a small bottle of water!!
We think that this place is now just a noisy pub and anyone thinking of staying should think again especially if you're paying for a shoddy breakfast.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2019 via mobile

Was having an amazing evening drinking with friends having a great time at the Grand Victorian the Amazing bar ladies serving a very busy bar and not having to wait very long

I was standing at the bar my drink in front of me when a man leant across and stuck his fingers in my glass and tried to take my drink his name was Tony
He was drinking himself he had a pint in his other hand but seemed to be working at glass collecting at the same time

When you do this job the correct manor is to ask
“Can I take the empties”
“ have you finished”
Or even check the glasses before you try to take them with your fingers round the lip of the glass health and hygiene was not followed by this man

Unfortunately that spoilt the end of my night with some dirty fingers in my glass
After speaking with the bar lady she offered to replace my drink which was very kind of her and she apologised on behalf of this man (who should of apologised himself!!!)

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2018 via mobile

Great servive, friendly all round, the young lady dark hair made sure we had a amazing eveningand was looked after, will definitely visit again thankyou to all staff for making are new years brilliant and will most certainly come back again in the future and recommend

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2018

Yes, this place has an imposing facade...an old railway hotel straight out of the Victorian age. It is right opposite the station, but, to be honest, on this Saturday night the trains did not seem to disturb us. Our room was clean and decorated to fit the age of the hotel...which, sadly, made it feel dowdy. The inclusion of an en-suite had been done effectively but it did mean that the room was a little small to include some of the furniture, and lamp switches were obscured by the headboard. Certainly the uninhabited reception was tired and lifeless...like walking into a haunted, creaky film set! I also noticed that the spring on my door did not work and so the door slammed shut if I forgot that it was not a soft-closer! Sorry guys!
All this was fine as we did not pay vast sums to stay here...but I really did not like the breakfast service...the downstairs bar wreaked of cleaning agents, the menu was not on the table and so I did not know if there was a choice, the orange juice was not good and the environment felt...well, what it was...an old bar. Not a fresh or cosy morning experience. The old Victorian lady was a bit...erm ...down at heel? I'm guessing the bar area stays like this as it seems to be popular with locals...it certainly has character for a night out...but it did not do it for me in the morning! Lovely clean brasses, though!

Date of stay: October 2018