“Faded past granduer”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Woking, United Kingdom
“Faded past granduer”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked the Grand Victorian as I needed a family room for a short break overnight at the coast. I had read the previous reviews and did not have deluxe expectations but it seems to be things that can be rectified that let the Hotel down. Simply cleanliness is not expensive.
I arrived and used one of their 4 parking space in an area at the back of the hotel. This area was strewn with rubbish and old bottles. Check in was smooth and staff very polite . The lobby had character and was pleasant. The room itself was on the frst floor (2US) and did have a damp smell to it. Everything was just tired, with carpets needing a good steam clean, light fittings loose, TV on its last legs and torn wallpaper. That said the sheets and towels were fresly laundered and in good order. I will say that there was no noise overnight even with nightclub below and heating and window ventilation was good.
In the morning we took breakfast in the conservatory, again a nice setting but the seats were stained and table needed revarnishing. Hot options were buffet style and cereal was available as well as juice and toast.
All in all the price was reasonable but the hotel had the potential to be so much better if attention was given to redecorating and using the Victorian charm of the building with high ceilings and wood panels.
We had had a satisfactory stay but would only come again if it changed hands or had an extensive revamp.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Selhurst1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

At first glance, a stunning Victorian behemoth! Rooms serve a purpose, staff welcoming on arrival. We thought that the location would lend to a rather noisy night after licensing hours, but not the case at all! The silence was deafening! The bed in our room didn't fill us with confidence of having a comfortable nights sleep, and we both retired with trepidation as to the conditions of our backs in the morning. ....well, we both woke like spring spring chickens, feeling great. .....recommended for those who are looking for a stopover. ..

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Harleston, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Having read many of the reviews just before travelling for a family reunion booked by "granny", quite frankly, I was worried about where we were going to be staying! However, I want to say that many of the reviews on here are, in my opinion, highly unjustified and grossly exaggerated! This establishment represents excellent value for money and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The hotel does not aspire to be a 5* boutique hotel -rather it was nostalgic and a step back in time. Our enjoyable stay was tailor made for us by the attentiveness and flexibility of the owners who accommodated all the awkward requests of a party of 9 aged 10 to 80 -nothing was too much for them and I would like to thank them wholeheartedly for all their efforts. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again in future!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sammie C
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I'd like to give feedback on my recent stay as I believe it can be helpful for the future. I stayed in room 19 from 12th-15th December. The hotel was recommended mainly for the location, being very close to the station and not far from where my daughter lives, who I was visiting.

There are a few minor points that I wanted to make - no towel rail in the bathroom and no bin. No non slip mat in the bath - it was very slippery. The bath was very stained. My main point is that the mattress is in urgent need of being replaced. I could feel every spring digging in, so much so that I had to sleep on top of the duvet. As the room was very warm, even with the radiator off, I managed with the thin quilt. I know I should have said something at the time but I did like the room overall and made the best of it. But they shouldn't be letting guests sleep on mattresses like that.

On the upside the towels were of good quality and changed every day, the tea tray was well stocked, the tv was a good size and I was impressed with the amount of channels. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. The price was reasonable. The toaster made excellent toast!

I plan to stay again but I would like to be reassured that the mattress issue will be addressed!

Room Tip: I asked for top floor to avoid being disturbed. However if you stay on a Fri/Sat be aware there is a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
gateshead, tyne & wear
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Rooms are fairly basic and tired, ready for a refurb. Good old fashioned pub which is really what this is and just happens to have rooms attached. Good breakfast but no variation, still adequate and better than many. Bar meals pretty good and reasonably priced. Staff all very friendly. Stairway and corridors well decorated, especially for train enthusiasts, but rooms aren`t up to the same standard. Actually had about four different rooms over several stays and could find fault with all of them but beds were clean and comfortable. All in all this is a reasonably priced, short stay, business hotel but not a family or holiday hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I booked a triple room for a weekend it worked out at £46 per person per night with breakfast, the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful! Perfect location as we travelled by train, bit rough around the edges but I would much rather have lovely smiley staff and the odd cobweb than a pristine room and poefaced staff, will definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013
Keynsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Whilst Worthing does not have many town centre pubs, this pub/hotel offers all you could want, from accommodation to a good range of food & real ale.

I did not stay here, as my visit was for the football (Worthing FC is only 10 minutes' walk away).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo