“Could be great!”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Blackpool, Lancashire
“Could be great!”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Great location, beautiful building and some lovely walks and gardens close by.
The negatives in my opinion - The en-suite in our large double room was very tiered, the dreaded black mould everywhere! The bed had seen better days and needs a light switch by the bed and not over by the entrance door? If you need to get up in the night, you can't see a thing and finding the light switches was a problem in unfamiliar surroundings.
Please note the public bar shuts at 10 pm and there is nowhere to drink with in walking distance! I'm talking about Friday and Saturday night!
As so many other hotels and bubs these days, the staff are all kids and lack people skills. Potential customers for the Carvery restaurant were queuing by the front door for long periods with out being seen to or acknowledged.
The food served in the Carvery was very poor, tasteless bland and I could not cut through my roast potatoes. In there defence I was the last customer of the night?
At breakfast time, you are better of getting there for first sitting. I arrived 40 mins in to breakfast time and although looked fab, it was way past it's serving up time in the hot 'Bay Mari's' !
No sign of any kitchen staff to get freshly cooked eggs etc. I hope the new owners address these area's, as it could make for a great venue. The way things are, I would not go back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ricerocket

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I would never set foot in this Hotel again . It was supposed to be a 2 day break but after we was shown to our room which had not been cleaned (dirty towels on the floor bed not changed) we were shown to our 2ND room only to find so much dirt and dust everywhere and i mean everywhere (i wrote my name in the dirt on the TV) The manager even said after i had shown him that he would not have stayed in that room either. We got our money back and left as soon as we could. I have since written to the owner and to the hotel (Twice) but have not heard anything back (very bad manners and business) not to reply with some sort off reason as to why this very pretty Hotel from the outside has been left to ruin inside this was supposed to be 3 stars

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bevvie_10

Travelers are raving about these Worthing hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We were 2 couples staying for the weekend. The rooms were spacious although ours was dark due to a large tree enveloping the window, and the furniture was painted dark green. And bizarely there was no bath plug or sink plug either and my wife prefers a bath. Oh well not the end of the world. Avoid function nights if you don't like being woken in the early hours. And the beds weren't that comfortable and no spare pillows in our room. In our friend's room, the wardrobe door detached itself. Thorough cleaning did not seem important.
The breakfast can best be described as adequate if limited. I particularly missed my usual marmalade, allegedly due to arrive on Monday.
There was a garden area on top of an old wartime bunker, where the seating was concrete benches but the tops had become unstuck from their plinths and were lying on the grass. And the glasses and plates left out there from the Friday night function were still there when we left on Sunday. There seemed to be no motivation to keep the place looking tidy although admitedly there seemed to be only one lady looking after everything except the food preparation. There were more staff on function night of course. Great location, with lovely downland walks on the doorstep, and a lovely garden which used to belong to the house. Has good potential, needs firm management..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Devon
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I object to the fact that they took my payment from my credit card before I even arrived, I had planned to use a different card as I have just changed bank account. On arrival in the room firstly there were no teabags, went to ask at reception but it was unmanned and there was no bell to ring for attention. When unpacking one wardrobe door fell off. A saucer had not been washed, toothpaste holder was caked in someone else's toothpaste. The toilet brush was filthy (ever heard of bleach?) One towel was dirty. The beds were awful, mattress so lumpy that my arms were bruised, pillows were even worse. There were sharp bits sticking out at the bottom of the bath. The hairdryer had a broken wire so that when you held it together to use it you burned your hand. The only upside was that breakfast was very good although served on grubby crockery. We last stayed here two years ago and did so on a regular basis. Things are so bad now that we will never stay again. Wonder what trading standards and health and safety would make of this?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marmite2devon
West Sussex
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I visited this hotel and restaurant recently with family and was extremely disappointed. The rooms are very tatty and I personally believe that more effort should be made by the owners to improve them. There is no room service available, the bathroom is unsafe and it is difficult to sleep with the noise around.

Also, my family and I decided to dine in the restaurant. We ordered 4 carvery meals and then asked for a jug of tap water with seperate glasses for all of us as we are not alcohol drinkers.

We were instead brought 4 glasses of luke warm tap water, however I decided to just enjoy my meal and did not bother to complain. This was until later, when I was handed my bill by the waitress to discover that they had charged us 50p per glass of water. Apparently, if you do not order a proper drink with your meal, they charge you for tap water. I think that's disgusting! Especially since their juice drinks are very small bottles and you are charged over £3 for each one.

Anyway, the staff seemed bored and unhelpful and so the servic we received as a whole was useless.

We will not be returning again and I would definitely not recommend this place- a waste of money!

I would also just like to add that I have stayed in my hotels before and have never complained about any of them or given them a bad review. Normally I would not bother as I do not like to give anyone bad feedback, however I feel this time it is necessary to warn people.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank E7002002
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I'm widely travelled, and have found that British hotels tend to offer some of the worst value for money to be found anywhere in the world.

Although very far from being the worst place I've ever stayed, unfortunately the Highdown epitomises just about everything that's wrong with British hotels. I'm not a fussy person, and I think I have realistic expectations about what to expect for my money, but the many minor niggles encountered at the Highdown combined to make what should be a wonderful hotel into one to which I will not be anxious to return. The comparison with Fawlty Towers made in an earlier review is indeed a valid one.

I will give some examples:

I booked over the phone a few hours before arrival using the number provided on the hotel's website, which put me through to the Head Office of RelaxInnz, the chain which runs the Highdown. They took my credit card details and told me they'd send me an e-mail confirmation (which never arrived) and that the Highdown would be expecting me when I arrived that afternoon (which they weren't). They did give us a free upgrade at reception to a four-poster room, which was good of them. It makes me wonder what might have happened at a busier time of year though.

The place is an old country mansion, but it has been given a corporate makeover, rather spoiling its character. I should add that the aforementioned makeover is not a particularly recent one, however! Despite the slightly tatty decor, our room looked reasonably OK if a little gloomy, and our bed was large, with a nice thick duvet. Unfortunately the mattress was too hard. Everyone likes different mattresses, and I didn't find it too bad, but my wife found it very uncomfortable and had trouble sleeping on it.

The light switches in the room were bizarrely positioned. For example, there were independently operated bedside lights on either side of the bed. However both switches were located together on the same side of the bed! If I wanted to switch my bedside light on or off and didn't want to disturb my wife, I would have to get out of bed and move around to her side of the bed in order to do so! Meanwhile the light switches for the bathroom were not (as might be expected) next to the bathroom door. They were on the opposite wall in a huge block with all the other light switches for the room. Invariably anyone getting up to visit the bathroom in the night would end up switching on the main lights and waking the room's other occupant. Whoever's convenience the wiring was done for, it certainly wasn't the guests'!

My wife had her laptop with her and tried to log in to the free wi-fi system, but couldn't register. Maybe the signal wasn't strong enough or something, because she was able to register when she took it into the restaurant, and it worked OK in the room once she'd done that.

Our room was at the end of a windowless corridor. The lights for this corridor were controlled by a motion sensor which was at the opposite end of the corridor. Our keys were attached to a plastic strip that had to be inserted into a slot in order to turn the power on in our room. This presented an interesting challenge when it came to locking the door on the way out. In order to lock the door we needed the key, but this meant we had no light, since the key was attached to the plastic strip which when removed turned the lights in the room out, plunging us into total darkness! My wife got around this by sending me to the end of the corridor, which had the effect of turning the corridor lights on. Ingenious, but once again not very convenient, especially for anyone performing the operation alone!

Now the subject of cleanliness. The bed linen was clean, and the carpets cleanish. Nothing above eye level though had seen a duster for a very long time. As for the bathroom, I have often laughed at all those pernickity people who complain in Tripadvisor reviews about pinhead-sized spots of mildew on the grouting between the bathroom tiles. However the mildew levels in this bathroom were at an altogether more prolific stage. I reckon it won't be long before they're able to harvest their own wild mushrooms to serve up in their restaurant. Not that it serves anything as sophisticated as wild mushrooms or anything.

On the subject of the restaurant, we didn't sample the £5 carvery, having been put off by the breakfast. I don't think I've ever seen a more meagre choice of cereals. I kid you not the choice consisted of Co-co Pops, Frosties, and All Bran! Surely to goodness it wouldn't hurt them to add some cornflakes, rice crispies, and muesli to their range?!!! There were a couple of jugs of fruit juice, and I grabbed a glass to pour myself some only to find my glass was dirty. I grabbed another and that was similarly filthy. They were all in a similar condition, and I was reduced to polishing one with my sweater. It didn't inspire confidence as to the cleanliness of the plates and cutlery. With regard to the full English breakfast, the bacon appeared to be of reasonable quality. The sausages however were truly nasty. The Highdown Hotel is hardly unique in this country in serving up substandard British sausages and giving English cuisine the terrible reputation it's got, of course, but it's just another example of the way in which it falls short and results in an experience which even remotely discerning guests will not be anxious to repeat.

If the Highdown was ridiculously cheap, I would have been prepared to overlook most of the above, and treat them as the kind of quirks found in most budget hotels and hostels around the world. However, I feel that what they charge puts it in the mid-range rather than the budget category, and that it does not currently offer value for money. This is a great pity, since with a bit of TLC and some serious attention to detail it could be a really pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BigH65
Worthing
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Our Daughter and Partner married at the Hotel and held their reception in the function Room, both Families stopped at the Hotel overnight. The Hotel itself stands proudly on the top of Highdown in fantastic surroundings.
The staff at the Hotel were brilliant giving great customer service and Tara was without doubt a terrific Events organiser. Thoughout the whole event, from the planning to leaving the following day Tara oversaw everything, we felt completely at ease and in safe hands. The room for the ceremony was tastefully decorated which led to truly romantic atmosphere for their marriage. The Function room is fabulous and when prepared for the days events certainly had the WOW factor, many thanks to all those involved. Guests from all over the country attended and all were very impressed.
The Food - for the sit down meal was served in a timely manner and looked and tasted fantasic - the evening buffet was great too, no dried curly sandwiches, everything was fresh and well presented.
The Hotel Rooms were comfortable and no one in the party had a poor comment to make in fact quite the reverse.
Again many thanks to Tara and the team who helped to make the happy couple's day so special.
We have also been up to the hotel for the Carvery - cannot fault it, again great service and great food really well presented and tasty.

• Stayed February 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worthing
Travelodge Worthing Seafront
#8 of 11 in Worthing
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!