“Very good”

The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Worthing
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed here for one night as we had a family birthday in Worthing. The hotel is clean and tidy and served a rather good breakfast. Having stayed at bigger chain hotels in Worthing we were really surprised that this place was so good and so much cheaper.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicola P, Manager at The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

We would like to thank you for your review & look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Because of previous reviews we were somewhat cautious of this hotel, however although it is somewhat dated, it was great. For the price, that was only a few pounds more than Premiere Inn but here included breakfast I could not fault it. The reception staff member was courteous and professional, the standard of rooms was excellent and breakfast was fresh, well cooked and had everything you needed in a buffet style help yourself arrangement. We booked three rooms for one night as we were in the area for a funeral the following day and they even allowed us to keep our change of cloths in one room until we returned from the service.
This group do need to invest in new T.V's and striping out old baths and sanitary ware, there are a few chips of paint in places, but do not be put off from staying here, I have stayed in a lot lot worse places.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, we have recently refurbished the bedrooms & are pleased with the response we have been receiving, We are glad you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed January 2, 2014

It looked promising from the photo. Big mistake not to read Tripadvisor first though. The minute we got there the experience started, and not one I will repeat.

Fristly as soon as we opened the car door in the car park the smell of cooking fat was disgusting, Chicken Cottage places do not even emit such a stink when walking past!. This did not bode well......

The check in staff where not the friendliness. We were MADE to pay for our room within 3 seconds of getting there, no help with bags and we had many. She got the keys and whilst I was asking why we had to pay so promptly she put them below the desk as I was talking as if I was some criminal. This enraged me, who did she think she was dealing with...... I am so angry I cannot say anymore as it will be too rude. A course on customer service is much needed and should be looked into immediately.

As we left her, we were told in parrot fashion and as if we were thick how to turn the lights on and when breakfast was. That was it.

Our room was ok, functional and we were not going to spending any time there to be honest. The next day at 11.30am we heard a god almighty banging on our door with the very same friendly helpful staff shouting at us that we were half an hour late checking out! News Years Day too!

In the bar you cannot add drinks to your room (as the tills do not work together we were told), again another huge failing in my eyes.

I defy anyone to sty in this place. Maybe out of sheer desperation!!!!

Sorry but had to be said.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samantha A

Thank you for the review we do appriciate your remarks, & as you are now aware we are very close to the south downs countryside & farmlands & are very sorry if you found the fumes overpowering.
We have also recently updated our hotel system & are now on par with europe & counties further afield & this is why it is a pay on arrival system, unless you have booked with an agency that will take the money before hand , but weappologise if you found this offensive,unfortunatley this is also why we do not have room tabs as we do not hold card details on our system.
We do explain our lighting system to all guests along with meal times & departure times of 11am,
Unfortunatley our housekeeping staff were on a tight schedule to have rooms available for our guests that were arriving on New Years Day & that is why when we had a phone call earlier in the morning we were unable to give a late check out time.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I visited here as part of mothers 70th birthday meal, we had ordered food and as I waited at the bar to buy drinks, a very angry member of staff who appeared to be the manager! greeted me with " is it just drinks, no, go away!" Not serving! and walked off. Somewhat shocked at his aggression and not wanting to spoil my mother's dinner, I waited, for him to return and serve other people before me, he did so aloofly, but without the abuse, and then said "what do you want then?" Disgruntaly serving me the drinks. It was busy and he was obviously looking for someone to to be rude to, the fact that this was the manager makes it even more disgusting, I would suggest if he does not like his job, that he find an alternative employment instead of being so rude and aggressive to paying customers.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mark140

We are terribly sorry that this has happened at such a special family event, We have spoken to the member of staff in regards to this as myself as the manager was off that evening & hadn`t been made aware of this
We hope to see you in the near future

Reviewed December 15, 2013

we stayed for one night this week. On arrival it was hard to find reception as there are no signs but as you drive in it's right round the front of the building, when you get round there you'll see it easily. Check in friendly and efficient. Room was big, lovely bed. Shower a bit temperamental but ok. Clean, nice TV and tea and coffee. The hairdryer was useless like something from the 70's, Bring your own. Main issue was windows didn't even open a crack and we were very hot. I had asked for a window as we sleep with one open. There are locks on them, maybe they will unlock if you ask? However we really liked it. The location is ace in the hills, lots of wildlife. Staff friendly, Breakfast was nice in the morning. We have rebooked already as my husbands family live down that way.

Room Tip: room 9 was nice
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Having read all of the reviews we nearly gave this hotel a miss, but as it was the only one close to the venue for a party we were attending we felt we had little choice.

Fearing the worst we were very pleasantly surprised. Staff were helpful, hotel was clean and breakfast was good (though they'd run out of marmalade!), We stayed in the annex and our room was spacious, warm, and newly refurbished. It was spotlessly clean and stocked with plentiful tea, coffee, biscuits, and toiletries . Wifi service was a bit patchy in the evening but alright at other times.

Good value at under £70

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Six months ago I booked every room in this hotel (at my fiance's request, as it was close to the venue, i didn't much like the look of the place - very dirty) for our guests to stay in on the night of our wedding. We were getting married nearby, but not in the actual hotel - thank god! At the end of November I called to check on the type of rooms they had and the number, and was given the information by Tom, the lad who took my initial reservation. He also confirmed my booking over the phone at the same time. We got a phone call from Nicola two days later to say there had been a mixup during a change to a different booking system in the summer and they already had the hotel booked out for a wedding that was taking place in the hotel. Therefore she calmly told me that we'd have to go elsewhere, as 'obviously we have to give priority to the other people'. I was fuming, especially as i was given no kind of apology whatsoever and Nicola even said she didn't know what i was angry about. The wedding is in just over 4 months and I have no accommodation for guests coming from overseas!!! Absolutely disgusting customer service. I feel really sorry for the couple who are actually getting married there.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

We are terribly sorry that your Hotel booking had to be cancelled, but as you have said we do have our Wedding Party that had also booked the hotel prior to yourselves, & this had been overlooked when we replaced the Hotel System & during the phone call we appolgised for the over sight.
We informed yourselves as soon as this became apparent & thankfully for both parties this was 6 months prior to your weddings. We wish you all the Happiness in the world for your up coming May wedding