“Totally Atrocious Hotel - Please do not stay here!!!!!!”

The Highdown Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Kelly
“Totally Atrocious Hotel - Please do not stay here!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Dirty, unwelcoming and definitely not a hotel that I would endorse to anyone, and I would not class this as a 3* hotel. I stayed in this establishment as I had a job interview in the area and wished to stay somewhere that was clean, comfortable and accessible. After being handed my keys by an inattentive receptionist, who was deep in conversation with two of her colleagues, I then entered the main section of the hotel to be greeted with the stench of damp. I then went in to my room, which was dark and shabby, and also had an offensive odour but I couldn’t put the lights on as the receptionist did not explain to me how to put them on using the key. I vacated the room after bumbling around for a few minutes, going straight to reception, and demanded a refund. Unfortunately, this did not happen as the receptionist informed me that as it was through your website they could not give me my money back, and that it had already been withdrawn from my account. Instead I was offered another room, which I had to take as I did not want to have to pay for another hotel and I still I that impending (extremely stressful) interview. The second room was slightly better than the first in the fact that it did not smell quite as bad. Although it was still dirty, dingy, with ripped wallpaper and a broken hair-dryer (I discovered this after my shower the next morning and prior to my interview I did not look my best). I arrived for breakfast just after 9am (unfortunately it finished at exactly 9am), so I was extremely hungry. The nearest shop was 30 minutes away and I had to walk across a dual carriage way just to get something to eat. After my interview I knew that I would have to return back to this horrible establishment as I had booked for two nights and my flight home was not until the morning. I cannot express how much I did not enjoy my stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: I would not recommend it to my worst enemy
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank annkicat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Portree, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I had booked a twin room for my friend and myself for one night of the 19th February. We were flying down from Inverness to Gatwick to pick up a car in Lancing.
My error was that on the agency form I entered only one person staying. I sent a correction by email but the newly installed software misinterpreted this as a single room. When we got to the hotel they were full. The receptionist was fantastic. He got in touch with the Angmering Hotel in Goring by Sea and arranged alternative accommodation there at the same price, and extremely reasonable that price was. We enjoyed a very comfortable night there, the management and staff were all very helpful and pleasant.
We are from the Isle of Skye and this was the first time we had stayed in this area of England. Hopefully someday we'll be able to have a longer stay down there knowing we can go in confidence of finding first class accommodation and exceptional help and hospitality.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Balf00r
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2010

You might wonder why anyone in their right mind would book to stay at this hotel. Having read some of the reviews I was expecting Fawlty Towers, but we needed to visit family in Worthing and this was the nearest choice. I can honestly say that our stay was absolutely fine. The room was clean, warm, spacious and comfortable, with freeview TV, free wi-fi and tea and coffee making, and a good hot shower.

It's true that the furniture and decor is a bit dated and shabby, and the staffing is pretty minimal, but for a three-star hotel it was exactly what I expected. We had three good nights' sleep and the breakfast was perfectly adequate.

I don't know if we were just lucky, or if the hotel have made an effort following the bad reviews - hopefully the latter as we will probably need to stay again, but I would have no problem with that.

The weather was grey and miserable, but I'm sure in the summer its a lovely location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IDSBristol
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2010

Living locally my friend and I decided to treat our wives to a meal in the Highdown carvery Restaurant,and personally visited the Restaurant on Monday to have a look and book for the following wednesday, having told the manager that we would arrive prior to our booked table time in order to have a couple of drinks.On arrival on the Wednesday we were greeted by a young lady who looked up our booking and then asked another young lady where the table that we were booked onto was situated. WE requested that they take our coats but were told that they did not have a cloakroom facility.The ladies went to sit by the Fireplace opposite the bar but the seats were littered with files and paperwork,and when queried if these seats occupied the young lady said that it was her paperwork and removed it.We than ordered two pints of real ale only to be told it was not available and also told that the only beer available was lager or Guinness, we then ordered a pint of Guinness only to be told that was also unavailable due to the pumps being repositioned the following day. Strange when they normally reposition the pumps and top and tail or repipe that does not alter the Keg fitting, perhaps things have changed?? We then ordered a scotch and coke with ice only to be nearly served a 12 year old malt whisky on querying this we were told that they did not have any Bells etc.We then tried to order a J20 but were told they would have to look in the cellar to see if they had some,we then asked to see the manager who came over to the bar and to his credit must have gone to another Bar and returned with an opened 1-5 Litre bottle of Famous Grouse but reitterated they had no beer ,or Guinness or Cider only Lager and also no J20s, itwas at this point we decided to leave. Why when we visited in person on the Monday did they not prewarn us of the Bar alteration and the problems concerning the dispensing of stock.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank podmorerichard

Travelers are raving about these Worthing hotels

Worthing
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I thought I would have a carvery dinner instead of cooking at home. I live locally so did not stay overnight at the hotel. It was early evening and the dining room was not yet busy, but nevertheless the waitress showed me to what must be the worst table in the place, in the corridor right next to the Fire Exit doors. I asked for another table, and she showed me to one in a dark corner where there was insufficient light. I have no doubt in my own mind that this was because I was a woman, dining alone, and she was saving the better tables for couples/families. I ordered a drink, which the waitress left on the corner table, while I went up to the carvery table. I got my meal, and then returned and picked up my drink, and moved to another table of my own choice, next to a window, so I could have a decent light so I would be able to see my food. The view from the window was of a wall and a tarpaulin, I think.
With regard to the carvery meal itself, the veg were hot, but this is the first time I have ever seen stuffing (for the turnkey) made with sweetcorn in it. Presumably this is the leftovers from a previous day. The chef gave me a tiny slice of turkey. Either he thinks we are are vegetarians or he has been told to cut costs. Disappointingly, the customer is not allowed here to go back for second helpings of veg (unlike Toby carveries, where you are allowed) so it is necessary at Highdown to pile one's plate as high as physically possible at one's first and only visit to the counter.
Poor value for money. On the plus side, there is plenty of free parking and the stunning gardens are free to visit for guests and non-guests alike. They also have a cafe for tea and cakes which allows customers to take dogs inside and sit at your table, so if you have a dog you will welcome that facility.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank plainfoodplease
Blackpool, Lancashire
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Great location, beautiful building and some lovely walks and gardens close by.
The negatives in my opinion - The en-suite in our large double room was very tiered, the dreaded black mould everywhere! The bed had seen better days and needs a light switch by the bed and not over by the entrance door? If you need to get up in the night, you can't see a thing and finding the light switches was a problem in unfamiliar surroundings.
Please note the public bar shuts at 10 pm and there is nowhere to drink with in walking distance! I'm talking about Friday and Saturday night!
As so many other hotels and bubs these days, the staff are all kids and lack people skills. Potential customers for the Carvery restaurant were queuing by the front door for long periods with out being seen to or acknowledged.
The food served in the Carvery was very poor, tasteless bland and I could not cut through my roast potatoes. In there defence I was the last customer of the night?
At breakfast time, you are better of getting there for first sitting. I arrived 40 mins in to breakfast time and although looked fab, it was way past it's serving up time in the hot 'Bay Mari's' !
No sign of any kitchen staff to get freshly cooked eggs etc. I hope the new owners address these area's, as it could make for a great venue. The way things are, I would not go back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ricerocket
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I would never set foot in this Hotel again . It was supposed to be a 2 day break but after we was shown to our room which had not been cleaned (dirty towels on the floor bed not changed) we were shown to our 2ND room only to find so much dirt and dust everywhere and i mean everywhere (i wrote my name in the dirt on the TV) The manager even said after i had shown him that he would not have stayed in that room either. We got our money back and left as soon as we could. I have since written to the owner and to the hotel (Twice) but have not heard anything back (very bad manners and business) not to reply with some sort off reason as to why this very pretty Hotel from the outside has been left to ruin inside this was supposed to be 3 stars

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple