“Disappointing”

Burlington Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

After arriving at the hotel a little early. We were greeted by a lovely girl on the reception. She went and checked herself that our room was ready as she couldn't understand the housekeeper when she asked her. We thank her for what she did for us.
When arriving in our room (202) we said WOW. it looked beautiful and was one of the largest rooms we have ever stayed in and was looking forward to our night......... However on closer inspection it was absolutely filthy!! :-(
There was a very thick layer of dust along the suede headboard and the beautiful black ornate mirror was broken and almost white with so much dust!!
Even simple things like the bedside shelves, phone and clock were covered in dust!!
The room also had an amazing dual aspect view of the sea, however this was spoilt by the absolutely filthy windows, one that you could barely see out off!! Such a shame and certainly not worth the money we paid.
After spending a lovely evening with friends who work as a programme controller/ DJ and in advertising at the local radio staion. We went back to the hotel, all was quiet although busy. We couldn't hear the bar though, which we were happily surprised about as our room is just above. However the guests Constantly coming up the stairs and banging the stair doors kept us awake until after 3am. So after Having the worst night sleep ever in a hotel I was glad to leave after having a wonderful full English breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Cghills
Chris P, Director at Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

The Burlington Management is very sorry and very disappointed that we let you down so badly.

We pride ourselves on delivering exceptionally high standards of cleanliness and I can assure you that a full investigation is in place to identify the root cause and avoid a future instance of this kind. But I have to disagree that the room was, using your own words, “filthy”, as this was not the case.

I also disagree with your low score for value for money as you stated that the room itself had the wow factor.

We did check you in, complimentary, early prior to our head housekeeper checking the room which is standard practise in our hotel.

On the point of filthy windows, our windows are cleaned weekly and were cleaned 2 days prior to your stay, but being a seaside hotel with the current weather and sea-spray, it becomes a daily challenge.

Unfortunately the banging of the doors is something we can only address if mentioned to us immediately during your stay as we cannot know which guest was responsible for this. All of our doors have soft close mechanisms and only when Guests abuse those would result in noise.

With regards to the broken mirror, I personally inspected the room this morning and found that there is a very small break on one of the pieces of filigree.

On a positive note, I am pleased to hear that you found our receptionist Katherine helpful and friendly and that you enjoyed our cooked to order full English breakfast.

If you would have notified us of your dissatisfaction at anytime during your stay we would have been able to rectify the issues you mentioned immediately and ensured a better stay.

I would very much like to rebuild your trust in The Burlington and therefore if you find yourself visiting Worthing again, I would be most grateful if you would contact the General Managers Office where your booking will be dealt by me. Clearly, your stay fell well short of the standards you rightly expected. My sincere apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Had a short break here with my partner and I can't recommend it enough ! We stayed in room 302 and found everything from the staff to the meals in bar to be top notch.
The room is beautiful and it's perfect for a romantic break!
We were really impressed with the menu there's something there for everyone.
Seriously considering having our wedding reception here next year.

Room Tip: Room 302 has got everything !!! Really special !!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here over the Easter weekend. I was photographing the wedding of my niece. We had heard a few bad reports of this hotel, but they were unfounded. Our room was a good size well decorated & appointed, I would have preferred a shower cubicle rather than over the bath, but it did the job. Bottled water supplied every day & good tea.coffee facilities. We had a good view of the sea and the promenade.
We found the staff very helpful both on reception and restaurant. Breakfast was very good, not buffet style for the main but cooked to order.
We had a 90th birthday afternoon tea on the Saturday for which the food was excellent and reasonable price.
The only let down was that there is no lift so all my gear and bags had to be lugged up and down stairs.
parking is by voucher from the hotel for on road parking in marked bays. We only had to pay for one night as it was a bank holiday. We were lucky to get spots not to far from hotel.
We would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a beautifully underated hotel with fantastic staff and amazing views of the beach! I cannot understand why this hotel has recieved so many negative reviews (but i guess there is no pleasing small minded, pathetic picky people) the staff are brilliant and are always there to serve you and eager to please, the bar staff are very attentive and Fely the headhouse keeper is the queen of cleaning! The rooms are cleaned to a very high standard and when we came back from a walk around town our room looked fantastic. There was no dust anywhere, not even on the tops of the blinds or the wall pictures! The breakfast they serve is very tasty, i liked the fact that you could choose how you wanted your eggs done and that you could order more if you wanted. I would definately recommend this place to my friends and family.

Room Tip: i was told that all rooms that have a direct sea view are honeymoon executive suites or family rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 5720katherine
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My sister and i had a few days at this hotel and we had a wonderful time staff and rooms were fantastic food was great we willl definitely be going back soon. Kerry the General Manager runs this hotel wonderful. Would recommend staying at this hotel for Worthing

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed at the Burlington Hotel 3wks ago.
I thought I would treat my wife to a short break for our wedding anniversary.
We happened to meet the hotel Director Chris in the bar while we were having a drink and on hearing it was our anniversary he upgraded our room to the executive suite free of charge(Wow) and if this is the way of promoting the business then well done!
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay, great room, lovely dinners that were well cooked and found the staff to be very helpful.
I have to say we stayed in this hotel 2 years ago and have noticed a massive improvement in staffing and décor.
I have already recommended this hotel to all my friends and look forward to coming back again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I hired the night club venue for a surprise 40th, the staff and GM were outstanding and went above board to make sure everything I wanted could happen.
Nothing was too much trouble and the whole evening could not have run smoother. The GM Kerry was amazing and her staff were friendly and always available to help.
I was lucky enough to also stay the night and the room (family room) was clean, light and also had fantastic towels !
The Breakfast was also great and the team in the morning were still in good spirits even after the late night !!! Great Team.
C. Cunliffe

Room Tip: What more could you ask for ! you are on the sea front.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends