“Not Brilliant. OK if you like no personal contact - Revised”

Worthing and Findon Pit Stop
Ranked #24 of 30 Worthing B&B and Inns
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Not Brilliant. OK if you like no personal contact - Revised”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have revised this review slightly, following a letter from Mr Clive Horsfall.
I booked through Laterooms, and arrived within minutes of my estimated arrival time. There was a sign on door which said something along the lines that I needed to report to the wooden shed over the road. This was locked and appeared deserted but with another sign, along the lines of asking me to ring the bell if the site was unattended. No one answered the bell. There was however a mobile phone number on another sign by the door to this shed, which I rang.
The phone was answered by someone who I appeared to have disturbed at a family meal, on which I felt I was intruding. I was told my room number: that the key was in the door: that my credit card was already charged (although this wasn’t made obvious by laterooms) and I would get an emailed receipt. This receipt never arrived. I emailed the contact on my laterooms confirmation again asking for a receipt but at the time of writing this has still not arrived. I did not even receive a receipt with the letter from Mr Horsfall.
On the plus side the room was clean and recently decorated, and indeed to the standard highlighted by the proprietors response to my original review.
In my opinion it is a shame that the service wasn’t of the same standard as the room. A note in my room said something along the lines of please ask rather than leave a bad review - that is OK if the request is delivered.
The other review which I left for Findon was for a meal and not a room and so, I think, irrelevant to this one. I have however stayed in Findon in the past, admittedly several years ago.

Room Tip: Sadly my best advice, again in my opinion, would be to stay somewhere else unless you like no person...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sheerness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We would not call this a hotel just rooms over a village store that is closed, we arrived to find no reception,only a note on the door to book in the wooden shed across the road by marigold cottage only to find no one there after ringing the bell, so had to ring a phone number stuck on the door,when answered was told "room 10 key in door". We booked this room for one night through hotels.com, advertised as complementary breakfast, a complementary bottled water and complementary parking, there is no parking as such only find a place on the road, no bottled water, no complementary breakfast and we saw no one associated with the "hotel". How can you advertise these things without supplying?. The village was nice and julia's kitchen across the where we had breakfast was very nice. We will not visit again that is for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raymondw702

Travelers are raving about these Worthing hotels

Glastonbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Positives: (rm10), TV, WIFI, SKY (not certain if full package as I was working), En Suite Room

Negatives to my requirements: No Hairdryer, No Alarm Clock, Extremely poor finish to the bathroom, grouting over the tiles and some areas not covered with boarding......looks incomplete

Overall Value - Good Value

......However my booking was for a King Room and when I arrived and checked on the website I had been given a double room. As mentioned in another review there is a green light in the room for Health and Safety Reasons and it is right above the bed and as a light sleeper......you can guess no an ounce of sleep was had, which did not bode well for the early start and long day with lots of driving ahead of me. I am sorry but I will not stay again it was not suitable for me turning up to a business appointment with wet unkempt hair with dark circles under my eyes.

Room Tip: My room did not have the views over the downs as per the site, I had views of the shops over the roa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Very happy with the accommodation provided. The greatest thing about this place is the fresh décor and revitalising modern feel. The facilities were more than ample and the television outstanding. Very comfortable place to stay. Offering so much more privacy than other b+b's and hotels. Could do with little more milk but that would really be nit picking!!! Will definitely stay again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jessica w
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We booked this hotel through hotels.com, and paid £90 per night to include breakfast, staying for 3 nights. We had two rooms 11 and 7. We received a text the day before our stay, stating that the keys would be in the doors of the rooms, and the front door would be left open. When we arrived, we saw that all of the rooms were above a convienence store and steakhouse restaurant, there was no allocated parking spaces and had to park quite a bit further up the street. To get to the rooms you have to go up a very steep set of stairs (so elderly and disabled people be aware), and the light is on a timer, which isnt long enough, and the light kept going off when my elderly parents were only half way up the stairs. The rooms initially appeared clean and tidy, until we moved to bed to get in as it is up against the wall, this has obviously never been hoovered under, and we found feathers, dust and a black sock underneath. The bed had obviously been broken by previous customers and when you sat on the end, the slats went through to the floor, and needed fixing everytime before you got into bed. Mum and Dad couldnt get the heating to work in their room and there was no instruction on its use.The room information booklet stated that if you needed toilet roll, milk, towels etc then you had to text the number given on the booklet, and if you had any problems then you were to text the given number. As we wearnt sure about what time breakfast etc we text the number and were told that breakfast would be at the steakhouse downstairs at 8am. We got up for 8am, only to find that the steakhouse was shut, and no breakfast was given the first day. I spoke to Clive, who bascially told me that I was in a £100 a night room, and I hadnt paid full price so it wasnt his fault!! He was very rude, telling me he was stressed and he had been up all night with his sick daughter, trying to put the blame onto everyone except himself. After complaining he phoned us back and told us that breakfast would be sorted for the next two days and the steakhouse owner would give us a refund for the missed breakfast (which he didnt do, he said that we were to get the refund from Clive). We text the number and asked for some more toilet roll and milk and went out for the day. On our return that is exactly what we got! there was no cleaning of the room, no clean towels and only 1 toilet roll placed in the room and 4 small cartons of milk. The next two mornings we got breakfast at the steakhouse, and aside from being cold it was very nice. Again we left for the day, and came back to the room again not being cleaned or serviced and we had used up the toilet roll and Milk again, so text the number given for them to bring some round. No-one came, so we were left with no toilet roll or milk, we ended up having to go to the tesco express a couple of miles down the road to buy our own milk and toilet roll. At no point during our 3 night stay was the room serviced/cleaned, we never once saw any member of staff from the Stay @ Findon and feel the rooms are highly overated, we stayed in a days inn on the way back up north which we paid £25 per room, this was of much better quality and the service was excellent in comparison. The rooms are small and certainly not worth the £90 a night we paid for them let alone anymore, I have stayed at lots of hotels in my time and would never ever stay here again!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank judithcharmerswanabe
Dartford, Kent, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a reasonable place to stay in Findon, albeit that you are located over a convenience store (which is closed at present – not sure how peaceful it would be when trading). It’s a good location insomuch as the village pubs, restaurants and shops are all within a 5 minute walk (definitely worth trying The Steakhouse restaurant – excellent food!).
Worth noting that The Stay only offers accommodation, but no dining – maybe a tie-up with one of the local eateries would be an idea?
The decor is generally in good condition, but the bed in our room (9) was far too soft, leading to a very stiff back in the morning!
All-in-all, good enough for a one-night stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
clivehorsfall, General Manager at Worthing and Findon Pit Stop, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We'd like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review, however sites such as these can be subject to abuse of which we have no control. We'd welcome any feedback to be sent direct to us on feedback.thestayfindon@gmail.com
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We booked directly through 'The Stay' online.

Unfortunately our confirmation email didn't specify which room number we had been allocated and how we were to go about checking in and out. There also was no information on where it was safe to park our car.
Upon arrival we ended up being assisted by a very kind gentleman next door. What a pity no-one from the Stay responded to the two calls we made to both allocated numbers we didn't even receive a text or see anybody connected with 'The Stay'.

The room was small and very cramped, as soon as we came in through the door the bottom of the double bed hit your legs. Once the sofa bed was pulled out we couldn't find any space to put the travel cot up where it was easily accessible and safe. Our booking we had believed would be for a king family room to accommodate us comfortably.
Next the bed linen and pillows. They were old and stained and had no pillow protector covers on any of them, neither were there any mattress protectors.

For fire & safety reasons there is a green light permanently on right in the centre of the room. Which illuminates the whole room at night . However these probably have to be in place due to fire & safety rules but bear this in mind if you find it hard to sleep with a strange green glow in your room.

All in all I think for a clean and spacious family room you could do better at the Premier Inn. The Stay seems more suited as cheap & cheerful suited to single workers who need somewhere to crash whilst working away from home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family