“Superb Food”

Munch Coffee Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 356 Restaurants in Worthing
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Independent coffee house offering locally sourced products freshly cooked to order. Family run business with space for families, pushchairs and groups. We also have a spacious first floor for those who want to squirrel themselves a way in a quiet corner.
Sussex
“Superb Food”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

visited with our daughter who walks with difficulty and her puppy who is training to be an assistance dog. My husband had breakfast with loads of mushrooms,wonderful hand made sausage, fabulous sussex bacon-thick cut,local eggs and their gorgeous granary bread.We had bacon sandwiches.The bacon was delicious but the bread is so nice I almost wished I had just asked for plain bread.It really is the nicest bread I have ever had.The coffee was very hot and tasty and the tea also full of flavour. The dog had some water.Munch was very busy with lots of children and pushchairs but it works well as there is space to move around with ease.The dog passed his test with flying colours .A very pleasant experience.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Girlbabar

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have just visited munch for the first time this year and discovered that it is now under new ownership. Things look pretty much the same inside although the lovely range of fresh salads and sandwich fillings that were previously on display have now gone. I used to love the coffee in Munch. The mochas were served in huge mugs and were so delicious and chocolatey that we used to call them 'lunch in a mug'! They would really fill you up! Unfortunately the mochas now taste very thin and are served in just a standard sized mug. Free top ups are offered but it didn't taste good enough to want a second one - even if it was free!

I loved the atmosphere and the friendliness of the previous owners and the new staff just haven't matched this. I wish them well but think that they need to try and make this more their own rather than trying to carry on like everything is the same. It isn't.

6 Thank ca1anda
MunchWorthing, Owner at Munch Coffee Bar & Kitchen, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am sorry you feel disappointed from your last visit. As you know we have quite limited space to prepare food downstairs, coupled with 2-qualified chefs in the kitchen upstairs, we opted for our sandwiches still to be freshly made to order but come from the kitchen. At the same time I take on board your comments and appreciate it may lose some of the show removing it from downstairs.
The good news we have used this space for a selection of high quality cakes and are soon to be adding gluten free choices too.
We value the feedback from our customers, any business is a work in progress. Please do return, ask for Samantha and I would be more than happy to address your observations and be able to offer you the experience we are striving for.
“Not so special.”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

New to Worthing, I checked on TA for good places for breakfast and read good reviews for Munch so came to try it out. Was not impressed. Cold (no heating on), gloomy atmosphere, food nothing special, coffee average, very overpriced for what it is. Plastic packed sarnies on sale - these belong in a supermarket. Wouldn't hurry back. Trying somewhere else next time.

7 Thank laughingbelly
I am sorry you felt your last visit was as described. To address the issues raised, we have central heating on a timer that comes on at 6am until we close at 4pm. May I suggest due to the double height space we have downstairs, in combination with double hinged full sized doors which run the length of our premises along the arcade, which I can't wait to open in the summer time, it can get drafty.
Our sandwiches are all freshly made to order from our kitchen; you have observed and commented on our "Munch Away" sandwiches which our customers have asked us for. They want the great taste and freshness but on a grab and go basis.
Please do return, ask for Samantha and would be more than happy to address your observations and have the opportunity to show you what we do best.
Sussex
“Superb Coffee”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I rarely go out for coffee as i can never find somewhere that supplies what I call a good cup of coffee. My requirements are simple-excellent coffee served very hot with a jug of milk so I may add as much or as little as I need. I was delighted to find that at Munch-now under new owners.

It was very clean there and served almost instantly by a pleasant and attentive young man. I noticed that all the other customers were served equally quickly.

The new owner came down and I congratulated her on the coffee and the fact that it was hot. She said she had had to service the machine and she was planning other changes which I am sure will improve a very good cafe into a superb one. I plan to visit again soon to try lunch or breakfast which I am sure will be equally good.

A very pleasant experience.

3 Thank Girlbabar
Worthing, United Kingdom
“from Top spot ... to the very bottom :(”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We joyously reviewed this place when it first opened as we absolutely loved it, and we came here quite regularly. and for treats like Birthday Breakfasts etc... it had by far the best quality Breakfasts in town and the friendliest service for miles around. Well, that was before January 2013.

We re-visited several days after New Year, looking forward to a Birthday treat Breakfast, but boy were we in for a HUGE disappointment.

Although everything looks the same on the surface (same decor, same menu etc.) believe us when we say this place is NOT the same Munch as it was in 2011/2012. Not one jot.

The Full English (the one with "Crusty Toasted Bloomer") arrived after an extraordinarily long wait (the table next to us had arrived long after us, ordered their breakfast, eaten and paid for it, and left, before we even caught a glimpse of our food, with no word of apology for the truly remarkable delay).

The Full English, which previously had yummy Crunchy/Crusty Toasted Bloomer, was served with anaemic, under-toasted, soggy, cold, cheap white sliced, plastic-wrapped bread, which had been 'pre-margarined', and sat limp and cold on the edge of plate. I asked the chap who brought our plates what had happened to the Crusty toasted Bloomer, and got a terse "We don't have any." He then turned his back and walked away.No apology, nor offer of anything else.

The bacon, which used to be freshly cooked, juicy and tasty was just shocking, we mean REALLY shocking - rock hard, tasteless and tough, it had CLEARLY been re-heated from at least a day or two ago's service. The usually lovely herby home-made sausages have gone, only to be replaced with uniform, bland, greasy, mass-made (looked like frozen catering pack) sausages. The tasty fresh field/open-cup mushrooms have disappeared, and now you get a small spoonfull of the tiniest, most intensely shrivelled up, massively overcooked mushrooms we've ever seen. And as for the eggs...? Oh dear. Ours arrived with slimy, raw albumen and some unidentifiable large blobs of dark-orange coloured grease over the yolks. Yueuuk.

The Eggs Benedict, previously a firm favourite, we requested as a half-size portion, but it arrived as a quarter-size of the portions we've enjoyed here previously. The ham was NOT the thick, hand carved, home roasted type, as offered on the menu. The hollandaise was not freshly made either, but was straight out of a jar or packet. And to top it all off, the egg was over-poached so the yolk was chalky and semi-solid.

We ate the tiny portion of Eggs Benedict, however, as we were ravenous after the long wait. But we just could not stomach the Full English, which tasted of little except old grease/cooking fat. We are not exaggerating when we say it was hideous. just hideous. So much so, that we immediately went to another cafe up on Warwick Street (Continental) and started our Birthday Breakfast all over again!

We just could not believe that Munch, previously our number one Cafe in Worthing, had gone SO bad, that we agreed it was now bottom of the list in Worthing.

When we were about to pay and leave, the waitress asked if "was everything ok", to which I (almost apologetically) mentioned our surprise at the change in quality, asking if the usual chef was off or something. The waitress then very curtly asked "Why?" , so I briefly mentioned the toast and also the bacon/sausage. Instead of ANY attempt at explanation, let alone apology, she then launched into a full-scale angry tirade about the ex-owners, who she said had recently bought the cafe from... yes folks, it seems MUNCH was sold by the previous, food-loving, customer friendly, allotment-growing, owners in December 2012 ... so, the waitress, who was doing her best 'Mrs Angry' impression at us, rather than making amends for the terrible food, was in fact the new owner, and made it VERY clear she had NO intention of listening to customers, let alone improving or re-instating anything.

She went on at us, literally "at" us, for several minutes, about how we were "wrong" about the quality of the bread, that her bread WAS "fresh" and "top quality", repeatedly telling us that it was "freshly baked Kingsmill" (words fail us!). She then blurted out at us that "nowhere can get fresh bread 'cos of the Bank Holiday"... 'eh??! our visit was several days days AFTER the New Year bank holiday.. all shops and suppliers been fully open and back to work as normal for at least 3 days!

I did say to her (whilst slowly backing away) that we didn't want any argument, we just thought it had dropped in quality, and had only commented because of our disappointment at the food compared to previous visits, such as the disappearance of the homemade sausages for example. This led to her getting more angry and aggressive, absolutely insisting that the previous owners "only ever used frozen meat", whereas she used "fresh from the Butchers" produce (WOW!), and that the previous owners had been serving "frozen rubbish" to customers. Ironic, given the sausage served to us was clearly frozen, or from a mass-catering pack at the very least. She just wasn't having ANYTHING said about her food, vociferously drilling into us that the quality of what she is serving is a ten-times better than the previous owners "rubbish".

Oh dear. oh wow. just wow :( We felt like we'd gone into some parallel universe, as this was so far removed from the reality we knew as 'Munch' before.

I explained again we didn't want any argument or fuss, and just wanted to settle our bill and leave. She then charged us FULL price for the half-portion of Eggs Benedict, and full price for the mostly uneaten Full English. We paid in full as we did NOT want any more verbal aggro from this woman, who clearly has NO idea about good food, never mind customer service.

We left, very sad and disappointed that Munch has changed hands... we loved the home-made and allotment-fresh produce served by the previous owners, and the real care they took over the cooking, and the care they took over the customers. We just hope they have plans for a new local venture, as we sorely need something like the OLD-style Munch back in Worthing.

We were really shocked at how different the experience was to our previous visits, in terms of both the food and service. Simply awful.

Also, they need to STOP using the same menus as the previous owners, as the reality of what you get on the plate FAR differs from what is described on the menu (for Breakfasts anyway).. and is worlds away from the quality of the food which used to be served here. False Advertising? Trade Descriptions Act ???

Perhaps go and try the "new" Munch yourself and make up your own minds... but don't say you weren't warned!

23 Thank WorthingFoodies