“Old fashioned seaside bargain break!”
Review of Chatsworth Hotel

Chatsworth Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Worthing
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Our kgb deal served us well. Nice people. Good breakfast. And charming topsy turvy multi landing Warren of a hotel! Would return And recommend to my granny! Great location and worth a room upgrade to sea view as the morning light is beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Jo C

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We recently took advantage of a voucher for three nights at the Chatsworth with an evening meal on one of those nights. Once again, charming and helpful staff throughout the hotel, comfortable room with plenty of coffee, tea and milk and co-ordinated furnishings. Everything in the hotel is of a high standard - even to the delicious biscuits provided every day. The restaurant is superb - excellent just prepared english breakfast/smoked haddock/gammon after a help yourself buffet of cereals, yoghurt, fruit and pastries, and delicious and plentiful evening meal on the night we chose.

I must mention the excellent maitre d'/restaurant manager who ensures the restaurant always runs smoothly and greets and seats diners with charm and friendliness, which is not always the case in restaurants these days. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff here and they will go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your stay here, as we did. Great location just off the promenade and within minutes of bus stops to neighbouring seaside towns. Also the tourist office is just a few minutes away along the front and the bus information office is even nearer.
We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the nearby bus station but did not cause us any problems and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank margaret s
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed just one night, but it was very pleasant experience. Good service, nice staff, just enough space in the room for a short term visit, and a great location very close to the beach. Would recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Xpetullka
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Chatsworth for 3 nights in July on a KGB deal and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were fortunate to have lovely weather which added to our enjoyment. The hotel is very close to the seafront and shops, and Worthing is a very nice town. The rooms were comfortable and the meals excellent. Would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Nice to have a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisCoggins
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very enjoyable stay in a lovely family run hotel. The hotel is perfectly situated close to the sea front and pier and also to the shops etc in the town.The rooms were clean and replenished with tea, coffee and biscuits each day. Beds were very comfortable. Restaurant meals were good and served freshly cooked and red hot. All the staff including reception, bar staff, waiting staff and cleaning staff were extremely polite and helpful and perhaps most important cheerful and pleasant. I would certainly be happy to stay there again and would recommend it to anyone wishing to stay in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank copperdogDerbyshire
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Restaurant food and service amazing. Really enjoyable stay. If you are driving remind them to explain the parking discounts available. Rooms spotless. Great
location for sea front and bus services. Rooms can be a little noisy e were on second floor.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 30, 2013

wow, I didn't realise places like this still existed!! Right, I can't knock the Chatsworth completely so I'll start with the positives.....the location is good - right by the seafront and 2minutes walk from the town centre. The staff were all very friendly. My room had a nice outlook onto the park opposite. I had no trouble parking both days even though the first night it was gone 9pm when i arrived. Parking outside is metered at 20p per 10min between 9am and 6pm with a maximum stay of 2 hours so if you're planning to park all day you'd need to go somewhere else. I was out at work so it wasn't an issue for me. It may be old but it was clean although round the window could do with some attention and there was a good few decades of dust inside the top of the radiator. The shower had good pressure and the bathroom was spotless - although it did smell a bit damp.

But it's not all rosy I'm afraid! I have not stayed anywhere so dated ever! Felt like I'd arrived in a time travel machine when I open the door of my room. The communal areas are dated but in keeping with the age and style of the building but my bedroom was something else entirely. I felt like I was staying at my gran's in the 1980's (and that's an insult to my gran's taste to be fair!). From reading other reviews and the photos online not all rooms are like this so take care when you book. Work booked mine so I don't know if there was a choice if this was all that was left.

I was on the first floor overlooking the park. Which is a nice view but the road is a busy thoroughfare and there's no double glazing so it's noisy. There's also no aircon so if you don't want to bake you need the window open and it's even noiser! I was annoyed that I went out for the day leaving the window open and room service had closed it when they made up the room so my attempts to cool the room so that I could sleep with the window shut were wasted and I had to spend the night with the window open.

The walls were badly painted peach artex, with a threadbare patterned carpet and a different pattern again on the bed spread and curtains. I'd say my room was small for a double, there was only 1 "comfy" chair and not much space around the desk / table area. The beds still have sheets, blankets and bedspreads not duvets and the pillows were of varying quality - 2 felt quite new, the other 2 were possibly older than me and one of the pillowcases was full of holes. The sheets looked clean but didn't smelll very fresh - they had that musty smell to them which isn't very attractive. The mattress was a bit old and saggy.The bath towels are also small and I didn't have a bathmat the first night so had to use the hand towel to stand on when i got out of the shower.

Breakfast was OK but I'm not sure how they won an award for it last year! It's serve yourself cold buffet - cereals, dried fruit, natural yogurt, tinned grapefruit, fruit juices and bread rolls. There's no fresh fruit or continental options such as pastries, nice breads, cheese etc. Tea and coffee is brought to your table by waiting staff of which there are many. If you have tea they bring you a pot but coffee is poured by the staff and the cups are tiny so expect to ask for a lot of refills if you like your caffiene in a morning!! The hot option is bacon (1 rasher), sausage, grilled tomato (half), beans, poached, fried or scrambled egg and buttered mushrooms. I had all except the mushrooms and the meat was nice quality but the beans tasted cheap and had a skin on the top like they'd be sat on the side for a while. There's a list of extra charges if you want more eggs, bacon or sausages which seems a bit steep to me. I've no idea what might happen if you wanted 2 eggs and no bacon for example! The service was good but it's all a bit formal and stuffy when you're on business and just want to get out the door to work.

I didn't eat there in the evening so can't comment on the quality of the food but the only vegetarian maincourse was an omelette at £12.50!! (I assume you get more than 1 egg in that unlike breakfast!!)

So all in all it wasn't a terrible place to stay but based on the quality of decor in the 21st century I can't give the Chatsworth anything higher than average. If you stay then chose your room carefully! Would I go back.....preferably not but I might have to as there's often a shortage of hotel rooms in the area especially when we book business trips at the last minute.

There's a fine line between "traditional" and "dated" and I think the Chatsworth has crossed it!

Room Tip: Some rooms have been renovated and apparently have aircon. It would be worth paying the extra.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business