Chatsworth Hotel
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Hotel(Worthing)(Great Value!)
$86
Glenhill Guest House(Worthing)(Great Value!)
$78
Travelocity
$94
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Village House Hotel(Worthing)(Great Value!)
$48
TripAdvisor
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Merton House(Worthing)
The Moorings(Worthing)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgames roomcoach tripcoach partiesthird floorsteyne gardenssea fronttraditional hotelsea viewwaiting staffrestaurant stafftown centrebit datedlong weekendtwin roomfour poster bedfull englishstreet parking
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Booked the hotel for an overnight business trip before reading TA reviews and was then regretting my decision, how wrong I was!
This is a great, quaint seaside hotel. Best to describe it as faded splendour. Yes it's old and the decor is not modern boutique style but its clean and tidy with traditional hotel service.
Didn't experience the restaurant but well done Chatsworth House

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Chatsworth's heyday was probably in the 50's to 70's when the nation spent summers at the seaside. It has a tired feel, like a once beautiful woman who is trying very hard to retain the shreds of her allure.

I paid £42 50 for a single room and breakfast. I trailed my bag down a corridor with dissonant colours between wall and floor to find a room with a red floral pattern carpet which clashed with the pale tangerine curtains and bed spreads. The television was a postage stamp in the corner and I turned off the radiator as I feared I had no chance of sleep in the stuffy room.

Eight hours later I awoke amazed at the experience of waking up in a comfortable bed properly rested and ready for my meetings. My newspaper was under the door and the shower excellent, and as hot as i wanted. Breakfast was a treat, everything was fresh and cooked to order, if I had to find a smidgen of fault I might suggest the coffee could have been stronger.

The reception staff, the waiters , every staff member I met was efficient, well mannered and knew their role. They all smiled a lot.

If I ever have to visit Worthing again, I will probably stay there because the only thing that matters when I am staying in a different hotel day after day is the quality of sleep, the efficiency of the staff and that the food is well cooked and presented. At that price it was a steal.

However I wish the management would consider refurbing to retain the cosy sense of a seaside hotel but lose the feeling of tacky B and B which relates to the lousy choices of colours and patterns in the rooms I saw.

Room Tip: Close your eyes to the decor unless you like shabby and enjoy the bed!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Sam W
Reviewed January 18, 2013

77 of us stayed in this hotel in November, 2012 and everyone agreed that it was an excellent experience. All the staff were very friendly and helpful both in reception and in the restaurant. The food was good and very well organised. Altogether a good weekend.

Room Tip: If you want a view then ask for a front facing room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tessa T
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Sorry but all I can say is this hotel is pretty bad compared to others, I stayed here over Christmas period because it’s the only hotel local to my parents I can find that’s open, in my job I travel a lot so I stay at plenty of hotels, in fact on this three week trip I have stayed at seven hotels, two in Worthing, two in London, one in Brighton, one in Hong Kong and one in Paris, so I think I’m in a pretty good position to judge what’s good and what’s bad.

Facts

Expensive - This hotel is not cheap, it’s a three star hotel stuck in the 1970’s. I paid £115 per night but some other elderly people told me they had paid £240 per person per night including breakfast lunch and dinner, now I could understand this if it’s top quality, but I’m sorry it’s not, I heard a lot of elderly people complaining and I totally see why!

Small rooms – The room I was given was a double, it’s a joke I’ve have had bigger single rooms, I think the bed was 4ft wide so small, the rooms are decorated in an old fashion style, artex on the walls, I’ve not seen since the 70’s, the bedding looked dirty, stains on the pillow cases and duvet cover, the carpet was beige and looked like it’s not been cleaned for a long time, the room was very hot even thought are heating was off, you can’t open the window more than a few inches and you don’t want to because the road noise is so loud, it’s right on the main street near the bus station.

Sleep Quality – Very poor, too hot, too noisy, small bed, at the end of the day I just needed the room to sleep, other things don’t matter, this room scores one of of ten for sleep quality, both me and my girlfriend felt tired all day, because we failed to sleep well!

Breakfast – The choice is so small, go look at the Aldington Hotel opposite and you’ll see how a breakfast should be done.

This hotel targets elderly people as its clients and in my view charges them a lot, the quality is missing, the pay a lot of money they deserve better, just because they are old does not mean you can charge them a fortune for poor quality.

This hotel needs to get out of its comfort zone and going and see what the competition are doing, this hotel is stuck in the 70’s, my cousin also stated here before Christmas and her view was exactly the same as me

My advice book a premium room at the Aldington opposite, 100 times better and it’s cheaper! I would be there now If only it was open over Christmas

I would never stay at this hotel again, I would rather sleep on my relatives floor than here!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel, one opposite is better!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank KeepFitChris
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfactory stay with us.

The rate that you paid- £115.00 per room , per night , inclusive of Bed and Full English Breakfast is very competitive with similar local three star hotels. As it is you were upgraded free of charge to a Garden View Room which would normally be more expensive.

We do not charge people £240.00 per person per night to stay with us over Christrmas! Our very popular Christmas 2012 programme was only £129.00 per person, per night for a 5 night break or £142.50 per person, per night for a 4 night break. This rate included Full Board with a Full Entertainment Programme. We received many compliments as usual for our popular Christmas Package and have many regular guests who return every year due to personal service that we provide.

Our standard sized rooms are decorated in a traditional style in keeping with the hotel. All of our beds are a standard size. We do not have duvets in our bedrooms. Our bedding and carpets are cleaned regularly. Many of our bedrooms have the advantage of air conditioning if you felt the road was too noisy for the window to be open.

We offer a wide selection for the following for our daily breakfast ;
Continental Breakfast: Chilled Fruit Juices - Orange, Grapefruit, Tomato, Grapefruit Segments,Stewed Prunes, Fresh Fruit Salad, Cereals - Rice Crispies, Cornflakes, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, Branflakes, All-bran, Muesli, Frosties, Granary Toast, White Toast, Butter & Preserves - Jams, Marmalade, Honey, Marmite, Tea, Coffee, Herbal Infusions
or our Full English Breakfast: Warmed White or Granary Rolls, Warmed Croissants, Porridge, Poached, Boiled, Scrambled, Fried Eggs, Bacon, Sausages, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Cold Baked Ham.
We have won a Visit England Breakfast Award for which we are very proud.

We do have a large customer base of elderly people who stay with us as we are a very popular destination for coach companies who regularly bring groups to us. We do not appreciate suggestions that we charge extra to the elderly. We are very proud of the high service that we provide our guests.

I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you, as I do not want your lasting impression of the hotel to be a negative one.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I arrived just fore Christmas and the was a lovely welcome from reception, no hint of any stress, and a nice shuttle scent of mulled wine. The decorations were tasteful, and the staff polite, helpful and efficient checking me in.
My room was very clean, and warm, it was freezing outside when I arrived so felt relieved to be in my room. Nice facilities in room, and efficient discreet housekeeping.

I ate once or twice in the restaurant, I don't eat meat, but there was plenty to choose from and it was excellent, there isn't always an abundance of choice for vegetarians, but this was good, usually just risotto!!

The Hotel is in a perfect location as it is next to the sea, and very close to shops, I could keep going back and forth to do Christmas shopping, really was an advantage, as the streets were packed.

I booked this room early, and got a very good deal, I was delighted with this Hotel, and will return again if I am in this area again.

Full on free Wi-Fi, in the Hotel room, really appreciated, and an absolute must have for travelling.

Room Tip: This Hotel is on the sea from but facing sideways, it would be an idea if you wanted to be in sea view room, to check first. I didn't mind not getting one, I was aware up front, but the Hotel is right extra the sea anyway.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo