“We took our Bridge School”
Review of Chatsworth Hotel

Chatsworth Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Reviewed January 18, 2013

77 of us stayed in this hotel in November, 2012 and everyone agreed that it was an excellent experience. All the staff were very friendly and helpful both in reception and in the restaurant. The food was good and very well organised. Altogether a good weekend.

Room Tip: If you want a view then ask for a front facing room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tessa T
There are newer reviews for Chatsworth Hotel

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Sorry but all I can say is this hotel is pretty bad compared to others, I stayed here over Christmas period because it’s the only hotel local to my parents I can find that’s open, in my job I travel a lot so I stay at plenty of hotels, in fact on this three week trip I have stayed at seven hotels, two in Worthing, two in London, one in Brighton, one in Hong Kong and one in Paris, so I think I’m in a pretty good position to judge what’s good and what’s bad.

Facts

Expensive - This hotel is not cheap, it’s a three star hotel stuck in the 1970’s. I paid £115 per night but some other elderly people told me they had paid £240 per person per night including breakfast lunch and dinner, now I could understand this if it’s top quality, but I’m sorry it’s not, I heard a lot of elderly people complaining and I totally see why!

Small rooms – The room I was given was a double, it’s a joke I’ve have had bigger single rooms, I think the bed was 4ft wide so small, the rooms are decorated in an old fashion style, artex on the walls, I’ve not seen since the 70’s, the bedding looked dirty, stains on the pillow cases and duvet cover, the carpet was beige and looked like it’s not been cleaned for a long time, the room was very hot even thought are heating was off, you can’t open the window more than a few inches and you don’t want to because the road noise is so loud, it’s right on the main street near the bus station.

Sleep Quality – Very poor, too hot, too noisy, small bed, at the end of the day I just needed the room to sleep, other things don’t matter, this room scores one of of ten for sleep quality, both me and my girlfriend felt tired all day, because we failed to sleep well!

Breakfast – The choice is so small, go look at the Aldington Hotel opposite and you’ll see how a breakfast should be done.

This hotel targets elderly people as its clients and in my view charges them a lot, the quality is missing, the pay a lot of money they deserve better, just because they are old does not mean you can charge them a fortune for poor quality.

This hotel needs to get out of its comfort zone and going and see what the competition are doing, this hotel is stuck in the 70’s, my cousin also stated here before Christmas and her view was exactly the same as me

My advice book a premium room at the Aldington opposite, 100 times better and it’s cheaper! I would be there now If only it was open over Christmas

I would never stay at this hotel again, I would rather sleep on my relatives floor than here!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel, one opposite is better!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank KeepFitChris
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfactory stay with us.

The rate that you paid- £115.00 per room , per night , inclusive of Bed and Full English Breakfast is very competitive with similar local three star hotels. As it is you were upgraded free of charge to a Garden View Room which would normally be more expensive.

We do not charge people £240.00 per person per night to stay with us over Christrmas! Our very popular Christmas 2012 programme was only £129.00 per person, per night for a 5 night break or £142.50 per person, per night for a 4 night break. This rate included Full Board with a Full Entertainment Programme. We received many compliments as usual for our popular Christmas Package and have many regular guests who return every year due to personal service that we provide.

Our standard sized rooms are decorated in a traditional style in keeping with the hotel. All of our beds are a standard size. We do not have duvets in our bedrooms. Our bedding and carpets are cleaned regularly. Many of our bedrooms have the advantage of air conditioning if you felt the road was too noisy for the window to be open.

We offer a wide selection for the following for our daily breakfast ;
Continental Breakfast: Chilled Fruit Juices - Orange, Grapefruit, Tomato, Grapefruit Segments,Stewed Prunes, Fresh Fruit Salad, Cereals - Rice Crispies, Cornflakes, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, Branflakes, All-bran, Muesli, Frosties, Granary Toast, White Toast, Butter & Preserves - Jams, Marmalade, Honey, Marmite, Tea, Coffee, Herbal Infusions
or our Full English Breakfast: Warmed White or Granary Rolls, Warmed Croissants, Porridge, Poached, Boiled, Scrambled, Fried Eggs, Bacon, Sausages, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Cold Baked Ham.
We have won a Visit England Breakfast Award for which we are very proud.

We do have a large customer base of elderly people who stay with us as we are a very popular destination for coach companies who regularly bring groups to us. We do not appreciate suggestions that we charge extra to the elderly. We are very proud of the high service that we provide our guests.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I arrived just fore Christmas and the was a lovely welcome from reception, no hint of any stress, and a nice shuttle scent of mulled wine. The decorations were tasteful, and the staff polite, helpful and efficient checking me in.
My room was very clean, and warm, it was freezing outside when I arrived so felt relieved to be in my room. Nice facilities in room, and efficient discreet housekeeping.

I ate once or twice in the restaurant, I don't eat meat, but there was plenty to choose from and it was excellent, there isn't always an abundance of choice for vegetarians, but this was good, usually just risotto!!

The Hotel is in a perfect location as it is next to the sea, and very close to shops, I could keep going back and forth to do Christmas shopping, really was an advantage, as the streets were packed.

I booked this room early, and got a very good deal, I was delighted with this Hotel, and will return again if I am in this area again.

Full on free Wi-Fi, in the Hotel room, really appreciated, and an absolute must have for travelling.

Room Tip: This Hotel is on the sea from but facing sideways, it would be an idea if you wanted to be in sea vi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Troubadour04
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Chatsworth Hotel recently with friends for a weekend break. It would be unreasonable to say that we did not have an acceptable time but our experience is very similar to other guests and reading the managements responses the onus is clearly upon potential guests to stipulate requirements upon booking. That the rooms apparently accord to Visit England 3 star hotel accreditation does not change the fact that they ARE small. The rooms particularly, are indeed very hot even when the radiator is turned off, so ask for one with air conditioning and double glazing. Quite how heavy a sleeper you need to be to have a good night in one of the front rooms overlooking the gardens (and the road!) with the window open is very debatable! The decoration is indeed "traditional style", I would prefer the word "dated" and I do not mean "Georgian". Oh yes, make sure that you ask for a room with a power shower. The food is not going to win any prizes but a reasonable choice is given, is well presented and wholesome. Having said that the fried fish was excellent. Overall we received what we paid for, the staff were all very pleasant but I think that the lower room charge is made up for by the bar prices. If we agree on re-visiting Worthing next year we will try another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the largest and most recently decorated room overlooking the gardens with double glazing, ai...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mr_Meldrew
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Whilst the Kingsway is my favourite hotel in Worthing, I like to try out other places and the Chatsworth finally came up within my work price cap, so thought I'd give it a try.

Room was nice, but chairs weren't overly comfortable and the TV was stuck on the wall, meaning a cricked neck from looking up all night. Comfy bed and reasonable bathroom.

However, as a smoker, I'm in and out most of the night and they decided to lock the doors at 10:30pm. This wouldn't be a problem, but the night receptionist was proper grumpy that I was going in and out, watching me the whole time I was outside until I came back - made me feel uncomfortable and I got the impression he would have preferred if I'd just gone to bed.

As a result, I didn't even bother with breakfast the next morning - thankfully it was only for one night and I'm going straight back to the Kingsway next time I'm in Worthing - they make me feel at home there!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Stevie_Ramone
ChatsworthHotel, Manager at Chatsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the bedroom, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy watching the television due to its position. All of our televisions are wall mounted with an extendable bracket.

I do apologise that you felt uncomfortable due to the Night Manager. Unfortunately due to our location we do not have a smoking area and therefore if you do wish to smoke you do have to go outside the hotel.

We do have many regular guests who stay with us due to the personal service that we provide. I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you, as I do not want your lasting impression of the hotel to be a negative one.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We were lucky to win the prize of a night at the pantomime with an overnight stay at the Chatsworth Hotel last Thursday. We arrived before the show to put our bags into the room and were shocked at the disgusting room offered to us. The room was tiny with a very small double and one single, and an additional broom cupboard with a flimsy rickety bunk bed crammed into it. The carpet was stained and the shower room smelt strongly of urine.
We decided to cut our losses and book our taxi home after the show.
We were extremely disappointed as we had taken a day off from work to shop in Worthing the next day, and were looking forward to our treat.
On our return from the pantomime(which was excellent!) we went up to the room to collect our bags, to find that it was situated directly over the disco, so even if we had stayed, sleeping would not have been an option!! Apparently the disco was due to finish at 1am.
I am sure that the positive reviews have been from people who have been lucky to be allocated better rooms at the front of the hotel.
On a positive note, the night time receptionist was very helpful in helping us find our taxi home.

Room Tip: Do not use the family rooms and make sure that you have one that overlooks the gardens
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Lasermum

All of our standard rooms are adequately spacious which exceed requirements from Visit England accreditation for a 3 star hotel. All of our double and single beds are industry standard size.

Many of our guests enjoy our family rooms which have the advantage of an annexe room with a pair of bunk beds, wardrobe and television- ideal for parents who would like some peace and quiet but the security of knowing that they cannot exit the room apart from passing through the main room.

We do clean all of our bedrooms and bathrooms on a daily basis to a very high standard.

We did have one of our popular Christmas Party Nights in the hotel on the date of your stay, we had advised the booker of your room at the time the reservation was made that there would be heightened noise levels until 12.30 am, which is standard practice when we have events such as this. We do always attempt to situate guests away from the function room, but if this is not possible we do advise about noise levels.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

stayed as a couple from 2nd to the 5th december 2012.we were in worthing to visit my daughter and 2 grandchildren.WHY have i never stayed here before.what a fabulous hotel.we had a garden view room from which we could also see the sea.lovely comfy bed,although we are used to a king size bed the double bed was so comfy it more than made up for it.hairdryer in the room was really good,i had taken my own as i never trust a hotel drier for speed but i tried it and it was excellent,never pack mine again.the shower took a while to warm up but was perfect when it did.water is a little slow but its a huge,grand old hotel and its charm makes up for any slight imperfections.
breakfast was really tasty,i dont know where the sausage are from but they were gorgeous,very attentive waiting staff,and the service is top class.
the reception staff are very polite and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
we will always stay here in the future,its took us a while and a few bad mistakes but we have found our little haven for our next visit "down south"

Room Tip: next time we stay we are booking a sea view room,they are at the end of the hotel and look much bigg...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family