“This is a Hostel not a Hotel!”
Review of Kingsway Hotel

Kingsway Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Worthing
Warwickshire
“This is a Hostel not a Hotel!”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

During my 27 years as a police officers I have visited many social security and DSS hostels and this 'hotel' is no different to either of the affore mentioned. The walls, doors and carpets are absolutly filthy. They have obviously never been cleaned or decorated for years. The windows are ill fitting and have double glazed units that are all broken, hence the condensation within the once sealed units. There is little or no pressure in the water system so the showers do not work and should you dare to take a bath, it takes an age to put sufficient water in to wash yourself. The whole building smells and in my opinion, should be condemed and closed down. The only food we ate whilst there was the breakfast which was a plate of grease and stodge. I suggest if you ever contemplate staying in Worthing, stay away from the 'Hostel Kingsway'.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Middlesbrough
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We booked here because it was the only place offering accomodation on the two nights we required. The setting is very good although the fronage of the hotel is discouraging and a bit down market. The staff were excellent, friendly and helpful but our room was shabby and tired looking . It was changed without us even asking to a much better one after we complained about the shower and bathroom ( fittings coming off in one's hands and cold water...) The main concern was the obvious dirt around doors and paintwork. I wasn't the only person not wishing to touch walls, doors or bannisters. The corridors were very dingy, haphazard and narrow, very claustrophobic . They would be a nightmare to negotiate in a fire. Other people have commented on the ancient lift but at least it worked if only when carrying two people! We didn't eat in the hotel but breakfast was ok with the staff working very hard to please. However the stained chairs and the grime along the radiator next to the table were more than offputting. Renovation should start with a thorough clean, painting throughout and attention to details such as fixtures and fitting, windows which open or close properly, electrical sockets, finishes in the bathrooms and showers. It is a long time since I have been in a hotel which was so grubby but I must praise the staff who couldn't have worked harder or been more helpful..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Worthing hotels

Berkshire
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I was welcomed by a really friendly receptionist who immediately made me feel at home with her good humour and happy manner. Very quick and professional check in.

My room was very clean - especially the bathroom which sparkled. Had a hairdryer, pull down ironing board and iron and everything else you would expect in a single room (including a small sitting area, working tv and remote and hospitality basket). Ok, it had a yukky back view but single rooms usually do - at least it was off the road and quiet)

Plenty of hot water, with a bath and shower.

Although i didn't eat in (too many chips and treats during the day) i felt comfortable and at home in the bar.

All in all, i would recommend this. it is a little tired and faded, but it certainly wouldnt put me off staying again. And i will.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Worthing
Reviewed February 15, 2009

This is the funniest meal i have had in a long time; Faulty Towers does exist in WORTHING!!!

You should take the following if you intend to eat here:-
Duster – you maybe some time, as there is lots of cobwebs
Drinks – you wont be offered two
Camera – to record the antics of the hapless waiter
Tissues – because you will laugh so much at the antiquated establishment and staff
Tummy upset pills – you may need them next day

Quotes you will hear: -

“All our food is fresh”
“I was born in 32”
“Shall I shoot the chef”?
“What’s your name again”?

Do not eat here if you like fresh food, clean surroundings, or efficient staff.

• Liked — Food - Terriable and tined
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sparkles09
Xaghra, Malta
Reviewed February 1, 2009

this was a last minute hotel as we hadnt planned to stay in worthing at all whislt visitng family. we tried several hotels near to our aunts home. with a huge sign on the front of the hotel building advertising 25.00 per room, we thought we give it a go! the new Travel lodge was fully booked and looked lovely!
on entering the kingsway hotel, a dark and dingy reception area and a musky odour lerked. check in was ok, i paid 50.00 for one night in a twin room with my son. no breakfast!
second floor room no'21. the elevator for two persons only is nearing 200 yrs old!!!
our room was large and had ensuite which may have been tiled in the last few years or so. the basin is old, cigarette burns along the very old marble surface, the toilet seat is stained yellow!!! the bath is small but deep. mould grows in the corners. the overhead shower is in a poor state! the heated towel rail didnt heat! the Wall tiles hadn't had a clean in ages! a somewhat damp odour lerks here too. hot water eventually came through!
the room itself though spacious has two small single beds, white sheets slightly worn out! old blankets and very old uncomfotable mattress's. pillows were ok!
we had two winged velour chairs were very worn, broken and ripped!
we had to hire a freeview remote for 20.00 which was refundable upon return! why???
the actual arial connect was also broken and my son fix it!! even tho' a guy from reception came to look at it! and couldnt work out what was wrong! he offered to replace the broken chairs that i pointed out to him, but i thought why now!
the decor' is unbelivabley foul. dirty walls, poor wiring, no PAP test lables on electric kettle, tv, radio, oh the radio!!! a wooden box fixed to the wall post war? there is only one double plug unit, which has two extention cubes plugged in to it.
kettle is fured with scale! the basket containing tea & coffee etc wwas filthy with old damp coffee grounds. the windows , one of which had a top to bottom crack are taped with black duct tape! mould grew all along the bottom of the windows, the curtains are worn, torn and stained from damp cills! the paper was peeling off and housed cobwebs. the ceiling has a huge old damp patch where a leak had occured, it also left trails of water marks down the wall, thro' a picture to the skirting.
i'd be so ashamed to work in this hotel,or yet to stay in here ever again. on check out i asked for a guest comments form to which they had none!
Everything about this hotel was outdated! of poor quality and the basics of cleanliness and hygene lack here.

• Liked — sea view! tho poor weather!
  • Disliked — hated the whole experience here!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MerchantDoc
Dunfermline
Reviewed September 27, 2008

I lived in Worthing for 24 of my 26 years, and this hotel has been there for as long as I can remember. Its always looked reasonably nice from the outside, but last weekend, I really did learn just what that old adage "never judge a book by its cover" means!!

I had booked a single room, not overlooking the seafront (I know how busy the road gets at night), but I was given a strange room with a "cupboard" which housed bunk beds, and a large, terribly decorated main room, with a bed made of goodness knows what. I am no Princess, but it was more than peas which ruined my sleep! On both mornings I had the displeasure to wake up after a fitfull night's sleep, I felt as though I had been speared to the bed.. I was so stiff and in agony. The pillows were horrible, the blankets on the bed had rips and holes in them, the eiderdown was ripped and freyed at the edges, and the curtains were not only in a similar condition, but neither fit the windows or blocked out any of the blue neon light, fixed to the hotel's frontage, right by my window.

I chose not to watch any TV during my stay, after being asked for a £20 deposit for the remote control. I've never heard of anything more ridiculous when booking in to a hotel.

The only saving grace for the hotel was the crisp ironed white flat sheet on the bed, which was the only thing that looked clean. The shower was nice, but the lightbulb was blown, so it was an experience.

• Liked — How close it is to my Mum's house
  • Disliked — Every thing else
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GersPrincess
hertfordshire
Reviewed September 21, 2006

we arrived at the hotel at 8pm, to find nowhere to park, so my partner went in to ask the night porter, he came out and said " the car park is full, you will have to find somewhere else" !
so, we asked if there was anywhere nearby, to which we were told it's all permit parking. so, i asked him if he knew anywhere as we were new to the area, but by this time he was getting very irate, and started shouting that we shouldnt drive to worthing !
I asked again if he knew of anywhere to park, so then it must of been one question too many, as he started shouting at us and then THUMPED our car !!
he appologised, saying that he was stressed, and overworked !
we got a free night at the hotel, but it was not the best of places, i asked for a glass of red wine, and it was served warmer than a cup of tea !
my advice is simple :- DONT GO THERE !

• Liked — going home
  • Disliked — night porter, small rooms, hot wine, uncleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — DONT GO THERE !
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple