“Local told me "poshest in Yeovil"”

Yeovil Court Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Yeovil
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed for a wedding in Yeovil for one night. Friendly staff and nice, basic room. Only criticise is that it was the hottest weekend of the year, and our radiator was on full blast! Went around turning those in the room and hallways down! Was impressed they emailed me before my stay to warn me of a wedding there that evening which didn't affect us at all, but a nice touch. Breakfast was really good. All in all a lovely stay, if a bit on the pricey side.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 8, 2012

We lucked into this hotel via Trip Advisor recommendations. It is a great little place--very comfortable, clean, large rooms, etc. The staff was lovely and accommodating and we enjoyed our stay. One review pointed out it's on a main road but we didn't hear any noise at all--either at dinner in the building nearest the road nor in the annex where our rooms were (where all we heard were birds, etc.--felt like you were in the country!).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed just one night, maybe we were spoilt having just come from a lovely B&B and having had some fantastic meals in Dorset - but we were very disappointed with our stay at YCH.
We stayed in the annex in a luxury double which was a nice room with a huge bed. the sitting room part had wicker furniture which was filthy dirty in the channels at the side. they need to run a hoover brush along this! We had one dirty glass and one small bottle of water for two people. The bathroom was dark and dated looking, with a shower over the bath and a horrid curtain, although it was clean.
The staff were friendly and welcoming, we had drinks in the very nice outdoor area, although be warned this hotel is right on the main road so it's not very tranquil!
We were on a DBB package at £150 per night. The meals were not of a good standard particularly as the hotel has an AA 2 star award. The starter was £2 extra for three of the smallest prawns I have ever seen and tiny morsels of scallop on a sea of yellow custard like risotto. Truly I eat anything, but this was really disgusting! My partner had pork terrine which he said was ok although the brioche was thick very hard baguette type bread. The main course was pork belly which came on some mashed potato which I would swear came out of a packet - with a moat of sauce running around it. The pork was tough on the outside and fatty inside. My husband had breast of local chicken which was very dry. The desert was toffee banana crumble tart which had a biscuit base so hard you needed a pickaxe to get through it - so we left that bit. and the sauce was sickly. I feel very put out that we paid for a meal with our room cost and even though our main courses alone were £9 cheaper than the most expensive included options they still charge extra for the starter of 3 prawns and scallops! Surely it would be fairer to have a maximum overall spend as we both chose less expensive mains and deserts than we could have had? You barely put your cutlery down when they whisked your plates away. We slept well and breakfast the next day was much better although the cooked breakfast appeared before I had finished my cereal and again as I rested my cutlery on the plate a waitress whisked my plate away! The music was terrible and so we had our coffee outside on the lawns where we met other couples doing the same!
I am cross at myself for booking here when I looked for so long to choose a nice place, and we particularly like to eat good food so was drawn in by the AA award - I will not take any notice of that in future! There were no feedback forms to fill in when we left and no one asked if we had enjoyed our stay although the bar and restaurant staff were very obliging and efficient. You have to get a password for the wi-fi which we did but when we went to use it on lap top and phone it would not work on both items as it is single use only, so ask for two codes if you both need to use it!

Room Tip: Annex is away from main road - upstairs rooms good size but with sloping roof and tilting loft style...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SUSAN S
YeovilCourtHotel, Owner at Yeovil Court Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

According to the above client we did nothing right. I will try to cover some of the relevant points.
I will start by pointing out that I was present on check out, we chatted about weather and stay and none of the above was mentioned.
None of our rooms are “filthy dirty”, we have obtained 79% from the AA for the past 5 years, which puts us in the top 20% three stars hotel in UK.
Location has always been on A30, but our patio area is around 80 yards from main road, not visible and fenced.
Whilst food is subjective, I totally disagree with the above comments, we have 2 chefs that have both worked in 3 rosette establishments and we are well known in the area for our quality of food. No supplement was charged for the food.
Music in the morning is always played very quietly as a background and is either radio 2 or 3.
Every room has an information folder that includes guest feedback forms.
I cannot understand the comment about Wi-Fi as is a free facility and password request was designed to guarantee a higher level of security for guests.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Not sure what to think of this hotel initially as it does not appear to be connected to any of the large hotel groups, but after a long days travel we were pleasantly surprised.

Check in was vey efficient and friendly as we were made to feel right at home and as if we belonged. We were curiously given the keys to our room along with directions as the room was in different wing.

The room not located too far away, with parking close by was very well kept. The decor was old but very well maintained without a blemish. The en-suite had been brought up to date with the latest mod-cons and offered a good quality shower. The bed was very comfortable with crisp clean linen and as it was winter an extra thick cuddly blanket was on offer although not needed as the room was well heated.

After a very good nights sleep in the comfortable bed it was off to the breakfast room for a fantastic breakfast. Once again the staff was friendly and very helpful being able to offer almost any kind of breakfast cooked however you liked it.

Well done Yeovil Court Hotel on a fabulously well run hotel, you are definitely on my must visit again list.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Freddie6602
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Nice to stay in an independent hotel where efforts have been made to make it different and a cut above the norm. The bar and restaurant is smart and the food is good (although not enhanced by intrusive upbeat masak; Bruce Springsteen at dinner? - not for me thanks). Friendly staff and free Wi-Fi.

But - and it's a big but - the internal soundproofing around my room was poor. Conversation from the corridor was a bit irritating but the main problem was noise from the adjacent room. I was woken by my neighbour's mobile phone going off late in the evening and then kept awake by the ensuing phone conversation. I was then woken early in the morning by their alarm clock! Floor boards very creaky too. I can be a light sleeper, but this is too much to take.

The need to sleep properly is a necessity, not a luxury, so this is enough to prevent me from returning. Shame really, because everything else was good and I like to support places like this.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Oolon_Colluphid
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My colleague and I stayed at the hotel on business for 3 nights. What a wonderful stay! The hotel did everything they could to make us feel so comfortable. The rooms were very spacious, beds so comfy and all at a very reasonable rate.The restaurant is very good and had a wide choice of meals. We were lucky enough to work our way through the menu for the 3 nights and were not disappointed with the quality and service. I will definitley choose to stay at this hotel again over the chains as the hotel really made us feel so welcome and had such a personal touch. Thanks again, Mrs E O'Brien.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lou020
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Just had a second one night stay on business trip. The first stay was in the annex in a ground floor room which was absolutely fine. The second stay I was upgraded to a suite at the front of the hotel on the first floor which was excellent. The food cannot be faulted and staff were friendly and helpful. Lovely seating area with decent sized TV.
If you want to venture out, the nearest pub is 15-20 minute walk to The Quicksilver Mail which is down the hill towards Yeovil. Good beer, quirky but friendly regulars!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business