“A charming old place with a lot of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Manor

The Manor
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Yeovil
Frimley
“A charming old place with a lot of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I spent a week in Yeovil at the Manor Hotel. It's a delightful old place, tastefully refurbished, with a welcoming homely feel. My room was on the top floor of the main building, and was quiet and comfortable. If you like modern purpose-built hotels with shoebox-shaped rooms, then my room in the Manor Hotel wouldn't suit you, with its little alcoves, rather tight corners, gently sloping floor and very long en-suite. But if you're happy to stay in somewhere built in 1776 and thoughtfully converted for hotel use, you'll doubtless agree that these quirks are really part of the charm of the place. The bed was exceedingly comfortable and I slept very well all week. Breakfast offered a good variety and was completely satisfactory. On the whole, staff were friendly, helpful and approachable, and the management have obviously made every effort to give everyone a perfect stay.

Unfortunately, little details can sometimes disappoint the visitor and frustrate the best intentions of staff. During my stay the free wi-fi was on the blink on one evening (a one-off problem, I understand) – but when I explained why this posed a serious problem for me (deadline the following day), staff kindly found a workaround. Technology struck again when I checked out and found that calls made from my room phone had been charged by their automated system at about three times their published rates. My invoice was adjusted after some discussion.

However, the Manor Hotel is a charming old place with a lot of character, well maintained, with a good standard of furnishings and fittings and a very pleasant ambience. And it's worth adding that it's only two minutes' walk from Yeovil town centre, five minutes' walk from a very large Tesco Extra (24 hr opening) and under ten minutes' walk from the excellent local Goldenstones leisure centre and swimming pool.

In case you hadn't realised, the hotel was extensively refurbished towards the end of 2011, so you'd be wise to regard reviews before November 2011 as substantially obsolete. This also unfairly affects the average ratings – look at the 2012 reviews and you'll see what I mean...

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Manor, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay. Was greeted by very helpful friendly staff. I stayed in the stable block at the rear of the building. I had booked a single room but was pleased to be placed in a twin room. The room was large and spotlessly clean. The only down points were the shower in the bathroom, It was of the over the bath type and not very powerful, and the hair dryer I found in the wardrobe had all the attachments to fix it to the wall but wasn't, making it a bit unwieldy to use. The bar staff were friendly and helpful and the menu was good. Breakfast in the morning was of a good standard.
Overall I had a lovely stay and would definitely consider visiting again if I am in the area.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have just spent three nights at the Manor Hotel from the 18th to the 20th incl. It was an anniversary break, and I had upgraded our room to a 'superior' room. We were given room 7, which was really lovely, spacious and overlooking the front of the hotel. It had a four poster bed and a really nice bathroom. We found all the staff to be really helpful and friendly. In particular a member of the restaurant staff called Tanita, who despite being on duty for several days due to staff sickness, was efficient, professional and always in good humour. There is a real 'family' feel to the Manor. It is just a few minutes walk from Yeovil town centre, and has a nice restaurant, which is good value for money. The breakfast menu was varied, and delicious. I had read the reviews and found them to be a bit mixed, but our experience was consistently good and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Room 7 is spacious, had a very comfortable four poster bed and a lovely bathroom with a free standin...
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We met friends to spend two days at The Manor Hotel, Yeovil, UK. The location was ideal as the following day our wives wanted to go shopping and myself and other went to see the football.
The staff were very friendly and attentive and I could not fault them.
The food was good, particulary the english breakfast.
Rooms were very comfortable, but unfortunately it was extreamly hot during our stay and with no air conditioning we had no choice but to leave the window open.
Coupled with the occational car passing and early morning seagulls ($am in the mrning) didn't get much sleep.
The stairs down to the public gent is very steep and comming up I was unfortunate to catch my foot under protuding metal stair edge (I wear size 12) and take the skin off in three places on my arm. First aid was slow and it was only when the manager was summond to authorise use of the first aid kit, I was given a paper towel to wipe up the blood and three blue plaster to apply myself, with difficulty. The staff said they are not allowed to apply them or use anticeptic wipes?
Apart from that we had a nice weekend and for the price would return again.
I will be writing to the management to mention the danger of the stair treds and will update you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mackenziefiddler
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Manor, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Took a large group here for a one night stay.
This is an old hotel, but rather than appear 'tired' it retains a lively, welcoming and warm atmosphere, with people drinking in the beer garden as well as in the large bar area.
The central location isn't actually near any busy road, therefore was reasonably quiet at night.
I was in the stables annexe rather than the main building, but the rooms just about adequate in size, and acceptably clean.
The restaurant was very popular for residents and non residents - plenty of good value 'specials' were available for those who didn't wish to venture out into the town to eat. The breakfast choice was also very good.
I would recommend this as a reasonable stop off for those passing through the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Manor, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Christchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Just had third stay after refit. the staff are absolutely wonderful. We are disappointed that having been lead to believe the stay was three nights and fourth free this was not the case as last year we paid the same for four nights and stayed in same room. Rang the head office and they were not particularly helpful and its a shame because we go every year and feel that we have been let down by a bad promotion.we do not feel £95 per night is fair price when last year it was £65 mid week and £75 weekend. This year we have had to pay £95 per night which is suppose to be a good deal with one night free. Come on this is not fair. Room 10 really spacious and very very hot!!! very noisy as coolers just below.

Room Tip: Room 10 in main hotel really fantastic room with very nice settee but very very hot an cooler below...
1 Thank DEBORAH222
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Manor, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
We would like to thank this guest for their review and the team, as are we, are pleased to hear that this couple think that they are wonderful and we look forward to welcoming them back.

A major refurbishment of the hotel took place last year in which £750,000 was invested and we reopened in November 2011. In the lead up to the refurbishment then our room rates did drop and this was reflected in the prices paid by this guest last year. Room 10 was changed to a Superior room as it is a larger room than our standard doubles and now has a 42” Plasma TV, a sofa and a King Size bed. For these added extras then a £20 supplement is charged on top of our usual price, which on this occasion did amount to £95 per night. This room was actually requested.

We take onboard the comments regarding the temperature of the room and we do have fans available when the weather is as hot as it has been. During this weather it does mean that the coolers are heard when the windows are open.
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed for 1 night in the "Stable" behind the main hotel. A double room which I would best describe as not too spacious. Not a room you would want to spend more than 1 or 2 nights in really. Had a wardrobe and a small dressing table with mirror and Kettle/cups etc on it and not much room for anything else, One small chair so nowhere for both of us to sit should we have wanted to, The bathroom was dated and very small although spotlessly clean with an efficient shower over the bath and nice fluffy towels; I did think 1 little piece of soap and 1 small bottle of shower gel was by far the least we have ever been supplied with. The bed was very comfortable and had nice spotless linen. The breakfast was good, cooked and buffet continental available and the dining room very pleasant as was the other public areas. The staff where friendly and helpful.

OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Manor, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We always take your comments on board to deliver the best service and value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.