“Great Location, Friendly Staff but Tired Building...”
Review of Mermaid Hotel

Mermaid Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Yeovil
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Great Location, Friendly Staff but Tired Building...”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Booked for one night at the hotel (Saturday) friendly staff and great building (Old Coaching Inn) used very much by local people.

Basic, clean accomodation, fairly priced for what you get. B&B includes Continental Breakfast which is Cereal, Toast, Tea or Coffee but you can upgrade to Full English for £2.50 which did look good.

There is limited parking in a very small courtyard, possibly enough room for 8 cars, where guests cars park nose to tail on a first come first serve basis.

The decor is a bit shabby and tired, and access into and within the building is not disabled friendly as there are many steps and stairs, and the corridors feel a little like a rabbit warren.

Would we stay for a night or 2 again...yes, good value for money, great location and friendly atmosphere...

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have eaten many times at this carvery and in the main the food and service has been good, but today I had reason to complain that there where 3 hairs in my food, the young lady serving took it back to the kitchen and returned to say it was stubble from the pork, I said that I did not accept that, because crackling stubble would be quit course, and this was not course in any way and all 3 hairs where over 1 inch long, then some one came from the kitchen and argued with me in front of other costumers that as we had eaten pork there was no way it could have come from anywhere else, I do find this behaviour rude and unacceptable. This was a celebration birthday meal that was spoiled by staff who do not know how to interact with customers. Mrs N.B Stone

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank nina s
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

What can I say I am a contractor and having worked in yeovil for a few months I believe this to be the best value for money place to stay it far from the Ritz's but it's far from the price it's great value for money the rooms are clean the bedding is clean and there is parking I will be staying again would recommend

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim T
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Rooms lacked cleanliness although it was obvious that some effort had been put in. The worst bit was tge fact that there were young girls there at the bar who came up the corridors after midnight to make a lot of noise and arguing! You turn up for breakfast and there's a notice saying "wait here until you are welcomed to your table" but silly enough there'll be no one there to welcome you. Had to forgo breakfast as no one turned up to welcome me and was running late for work. The lady manager Michelle or Cheryl cant remember name was extremely nice and very helpful for sure!
The floor carpets on the corridor was in a state and seriously foul smelling!! Its bad overall and ssorry wouldn't stay again or recommend unless these Issues have been thoroughly addressed.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank sody44
ahappychappie, Owner at Mermaid Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I do think you've been a little unkind as the rooms are very clean. I have shown your review to the chambermaids and they are both distraught.
The hall carpet certainly doesn't smell at all. I really do accept constructive critism but it's a not really fair to exaggerate.
I can only apologise for the other noisy guests

Travelers are raving about these Yeovil hotels

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in pubs from Florida to Beijing and this is by far the worst establishment I have ever had the misfortune to stumble across! The staff couldn't even look me in the eye. I feel this is due to the fact they had the audacity to charge 50 hard earned pounds to stay in their dump! I would rather sleep in a one man tent! To top it all off the billiards table was a shambles and it's only use was to hold drinks! The food was poor!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Bradleywright8
ahappychappie, Owner at Mermaid Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your stay, obviously I have looked into your complaint and have no record of you staying here. I have also checked with the staff and they have no recollection of your stay. Also we do not have a billiard table so I am a little confused.
Stockton on the Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed over for 3 nights on 23rd August. We were visiting family for a special occasion, the journey took over 7hrs so you can imagine I was extremely tired by the time we arrived there. I have eaten at the carvery several times before and cant fault it. I rang ahead to query parking and the lady was very helpful and polite. Once we arrived there the service was faultless, very happy and polite. I have read numerous reviews on this hotel and can honestly say that we had a lovely 3 days there and for those with negative remarks what do you want for £50 per night the Ritz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See you in October all going well Paula & Richie Room 4 :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paula3292
Seaford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Recently stayed at The Mermaid Hotel. Lovely old building in an excellent location. Found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Wanted to try the food in the evening but appeared that the restaurant was closed. The room was clean, although the bathroom had black mold over the ceiling, the shower doors did not close properly and the bathroom light didn't work. I was also very disappointed with the continental breakfast, very little choice of cereals and the bread for toast was two days out of date. This put me off having the full breakfast, although I note the other comments about food and again the restaurant area was clean. This hotel has all the makings of being a tip top place to stay, but just needs a little more attention to detail regarding maintenance and the breakfast choices.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family