“Dreadful room and expensive”

The Halfway House Inn Country Lodge
Ranked #16 of 27 Yeovil B&B and Inns
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
“Dreadful room and expensive”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here on our way back from a holiday in Devon. It was the Friday of the bank holiday in late August which I had completely forgotten when we decided to stop on the way back to Essex. After spending a good 2-3 hours online trying to find somewhere we finally decided to pay the £100 for this family room just to get somewhere - the children were absolutely sick of being in the car and we were sick of searching. Given the cost we felt sure it would be of a fairly decent standard and I have to say, it was clean. The room, however, was awful. We arrived to find that they actually didn't have a family room available, even though we'd booked one online only 20 minutes before. We were therefore shown to chalet-style room with a bedroom uptairs and a double sofa bed downstairs. This had been put out and made up which meant that it was difficult to actually walk around the room. There was a bit of a kitchenette which had a fridge, a microwave, a kettle and some empty cupboards. The decor was extremely dated and shoddy. We had to wait for the room to be made up but were not offered a drink while we waited and no-one suggested booking for dinner in the pub which was full when we arrived to sit down for dinner. We then had to wait over an hour for our food by which time the kids were really past it. The staff were pleasant enough but it certainly wasn't worth what we paid for it, and I wouldn't go there again or recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Melanie P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay. Although our room was small it was very clean & an adequate ensuite. We enjoyed our dinners & breakfast was great. The grounds around the lake are lovely & our hosts were very hospitable. Be aware though it is in a busy road, this did not however bother us at all. Plenty of car parking too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Came here for a carvery . Rang up and booked a table before hand . My partner said we wanted a table for him his partner and our 2 year old . We asked on the phone if our son could just have a little bit of food off our plate as he does not eat much . The lady on the phone confirmed that would be fine . When we got there we were showed to the restaurant where the carvery was . Immediately I knew it wasn't going to be nice just by looking at the very limited selection . We went up to the chef to get our carvery. We asked if we could have a small plate for our son to put a little bit of food off our plates on as he wouldn't eat much . The chef said no we would have to pay for a small bowl of food to which my reply was that he wouldn't eat a bowl as he wasn't a big eater . And that we had already confirmed whilst booking that he could just have some of ours . The chef was having non of it so we had to pay for a bowl !! I was disgusted in this to be honest as not only had we already confirmed when booking that my son would not require his own meal and I knew it would be wasted . The chef put a tiny bit of meat in the bowl and we put a tiny few potatoes in as the selection was so rubbish . Me and my partner got our carverys . Beef and pork ! The pork might as well of been a slab of fat as there was no meat on it . Over cooked Yorkshire puddings . Cheap and nasty stuffing balls . A choice of carrots , dried cabbage , lumpy swede , and rock solid cauliflower cheese . The selection was shocking . When we sat down to eat me and my partner both agreed that it was vile . My partner ate half . I didn't even eat quarter left all my fatty meat , rock hard vegetables . As for my little boy he didn't even touch Any of the food in his bowl which I knew he wouldn't In the first place. So when we left his meal had been untouched . When we went to pay at the bar we had been charged for the small bowl. My partner argued the fact that when we had rang and booked we were told he could eat of our plate . The Barmaid said yes I know I said this and I did tell chef this when she put the charge on your table bill I'm really sorry but But she thought better of it and wanted to charge you . I'm sorry but that is unacceptable . We should not be forced to purchase a meal for a small 2 year old when we knew he wouldn't eat it and had agreed this when booking . I'm annoyed at myself for even paying for it especially when it was untouched like I knew it would be . All in all disgusting carvery . Will not be going back there again . And I warn everyone not to go there you be extremely disappointed !!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Charlieh001

Travelers are raving about these Yeovil hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

This camping is good and a good deal compare to some others i went to, but the location is the worse i ever encoutered if you dont have a car. From yeovil junction station i had to mostly walk my bike with a backback for 2 hrs because of the hills before and after the city. 1 mile from the camping the road becomes so dangerous that non only could not i ride my bike but even walk it! I let it locked and walked the mile each day in and out the camping and then biked the hill to the city (up and down, each time). The stretch on 1 mile is the most dangerous road i ever saw due to its narrowness; it was even difficult to walk it, because cars were coming at 50 mph on this main road and thick and uninterupted bushes 8 feet high were coming right at the side white line: no place for 2 cars and a walker, i had to stop and squeeze to the wall- bushes. To make sure it is still more dangerous, especially if you try to bike, the bushes were thorny and some branches were over the white line. Hellish. Never again.
Fortunately it was nevertheless possible to find some parallele lanes to bike to the yeovilton air museum. But there was no solution between the camping and yeovil.
NOT FOR CYCLIST.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank louisarnout
Carmarthen
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were fortunate to be given a wonderful room at the front of the hotel. We had a wooden four poster bed and a fantastic en-suite with double shower and jacuzzi bath. Everything was very clean and there was plenty of storage space/furniture within the bedroom. I found the bed extremely comfortable and slept very well which is unusual for me.The breakfast was plentiful and there was cereals and yogurts as well as a full English. The downsides were that the room decor was tired. Chipped paintwork and curling wall paper let it down but I believe the hotel was being done up during our stay. The other point to be aware of is that the plug sockets are very low to the floor and it is impossible to plug anything in. I couldn't charge my phone or anything else. There is a fridge in the room which disturbed my husband switching off and on all night but I didn't hear it. I also didn't find a hairdryer in the room which surprised me somewhat. We only stayed 2 nights and ate in the hotel on one of those. It's traditional pub food, not the best but not the worst either. You get what you pay for. The location is approximately 1-2 miles out of the town centre - and it wouldn't be a pleasant walk so you'd either drive or take a taxi which cost us £7. If you walk down behind the hotel there is a gorgeous lake there which is worth a look.

Room Tip: Our room number was 21 if you fancy a 4 poster bed but read my whole review as the plug sockets may...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anitaCarmarthen
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were guests at a recent wedding at the halfway house for approx 70 guests. And it is just that.... Halfway....
Initial reception and service from the bar staff was very good, however that is the only positive i could give this pub/Restaurant/Wedding venue/Hotel.
The bride and groom had opted for a carvery wedding reception, quite relaxed and not to formal. The top table were served their meal at the table whilst the rest of us waited our turn to go up to the carvery.We did notice the top table guests repeatedly returning to the carvery for gravy , potatoes and even salt and pepper , which was missed off all the tables !!
The two young staff after serving the top table were then totally absent from further service..until clearing the mains and serving dessert. Absolutely nobody was co-ordinating this wedding or supervising the meal service. None of the tables were invited up to the carvery table by table. Service was extremely slow as only one lady was serving the carvery on her own. The top table had finished a full 45 minutes before the last table were fully served. Warm day (excellent) guests fragmented into the garden , staff having problems with serving desserts because of no organiser or wedding co-ordinator from the Halfway house.
The best man finally got guests back into the reception and the grooms father had to take over the organising of the cake cutting and speeches. eventualy all the formalities were concluded satisfactorily. but withlittle or no assistance from the hotel staff or management.
After the day reception the room was rearranged for the evening reception....well to be honest the top table
was moved to the side , to now become the buffet table. And that was about it apart from removing the unused cutlery and dirty glasses. the table clothes were left in-situ with gravy and wine spillages evident and daytime rubbish left on the tables.Trying to get a drink at the function room bar in the evening was a joke , several guests had to
complain as the barperson although on duty was never behind the bar.
The cleanliness and preparation for the bride and grooms big day (not forgeting us guests) was totally lacking in virtually all areas. I felt so so sorry for the bridal party who I know were going to raise certain issues with the manageress the following day. I could go on about many other little issues about the halfway house , but to be honest its not worth any more time. Do not book a wedding here unless you have got 100% assurances from the management regarding all the issues I have raised .

Room Tip: Sorry did not stay here we were merely wedding guests
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison H
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here with my uncle and we enjoyed a great meal in the pub plus breakfast. Staff were very helpful / entertaining. Food was bang on. Accommodation clean and far enough away from the pub to ensure a good nights sleep. Recommended.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a Lake view, so ask if you want one.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yeovil
Ash House Hotel
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ilchester
Terrace Lodge Hotel Yeovil
Travelodge Yeovil Podimore

Been to The Halfway House Inn Country Lodge? Share your experiences!