“Sunday roast rocks”

The Preston Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Yeovil
“Sunday roast rocks”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Wow not just great value for money (£9.95 for 2 courses) but tender meat, roast potatoes to die for, fresh veg and the staff are first class. If your in the area on a Sunday and you wanna roast then this has to be best in town

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Yeovil
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Six of us went for dinner last week to celebrate a birthday. The ambience was great, the staff welcoming and the food was fab! The bar area was lovely to eat in and has the perfect atmosphere to make it a great 'local'.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just had sunday lunch here with my wife, sister and fiancé. It was very well cooked and I couldn't fault it. For desert I had the cheese and biscuits which were enough for two. All for £10. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the cheese and biscuits. You wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I booked this for a wedding when all the hotels on the groom's list were full. I had misgivings because of the negative reviews further down the page. In between booking it and actually staying there, the place changed hands. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff and management were very friendly and welcoming, the bar area was nicely styled and there were non-residents coming in just for the craic. I ate there before going out and had a good meal. Breakfast the next morning was very nice (cooked breakfast, toast, cereal, all included in the price). The room itself was very clean and had no problems, and the bathroom had been refurbished probably 2 weeks before. The bedroom had not yet been updated, but could do with a bit of an update. But given that the new team had only taken over just 2 or 3 weeks ago, obviously they can't do everything in the first month! It was a very pleasant stay, and bore no relation to the reviews from people who had stayed there under the old ownership. I would definitely stay there again.

Note I only signed up to TA just to leave this review because I really felt that the new people are so nice that they do not deserve to be tarnished by the reviews left prior to them taking over. I wish them all the best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I wouldnt normally write a review after popping out for a glass of wine with a friend but I felt this night deserved a little recognition. We had literally gone out for a quick drink and chat but were easily pursuaded to stay for a couple more...and a couple more (!) by the very enjoyable surroundings and really outstanding service. Vicky and Lisa, half of the new management team made us feel like we were part of the family and their enthusiasm for their new venture was obvious.

We didn't eat but must say the food being served up looked delicious. I'll be back next week - save me a seat!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Pinotgigglio
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had a lovely Sunday Lunch here with my daughter & son in law - thank you. Tastey food, with a delicious home made bread & butter pudding. Warm inviting, good clean restaurant with very pleasant staff, they were delightful - thank you. I understand this hotel is under new management - so good luck.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SundayLunchSue
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been booked in here by my company, this has to be BYFAR the worst hotel i have ever stayed in for cleanliness. There are cobwebs on the ceiling, behind the tv hasn't seen a duster in a millennium and the bathroom is beyond description, there are scuff marks all over the walls and stains on the carpet. There is NO food served in the eve mon-thurs, they instead taxi you to a restaurant in town which is over priced with small portions. On return at 8pm the main hotel and bar are CLOSED !! With not a pub or shop in the local vicinity. Overall an extremely dire experience, i will be instructing my company to change the hotel booking first thing in the morning.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gummi2174
Preston H, Owner at The Preston Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We are pleased to announce that with effect from the 4th March, Paul and Vicky Smith and Paul and Lisa Craig along with some very competent and enthusiastic colleagues have taken over the running of the Preston.
We can now assure you of a very warm welcome, a clean and comfortable room, a lovely bar and restaurant serving drinks and hearty food from Monday to Saturday evenings and on Sundays we offer a traditional roast.
We are aware of some negative reviews of late but we are confident that recent issues have been eliminated through our customer focused approach.
We look forward to seeing you very soon.
The team.