“The Worst Hotel Ever”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Yeovil
London, United Kingdom
“The Worst Hotel Ever”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm not writing this as a joke, I wish it was. The service in this place is definitely a joke. I have never been treated so badly as I was here, it was disgusting. It was so bad it compelled me to write a review where I have never felt the need before. From the second I walked in the door, after having to call a mobile number to be let in, I was made to feel unwelcome. The man who met me seemed angry at my being there at all, and as a lone female traveller I did my best to coax him to be civil but he was having none of it. I had obviously dragged him out against his will. I had arrived at nine o'clock but he behaved like it was three in the morning. I agreed to take my fellow travelers' key to her room and let her in as she would be arriving later, this seemed to cheer him slightly. My room was in the main house and FREEZING cold, there was no extra heating and a cold night ensued. There was no hot water and I resorted to boiling a kettle to heat my feet. Also, the large windows had no curtains and the wind whistled through them. Why did I not call the grumpy angry man to ask for a heater I hear you ask? I felt intimidated by him and had no wish to see him again that night. I wore all my clothes to bed and had an awful nights' sleep. Next morning I was prepared to forget about the freezing room and I thought at least my company has booked a cooked breakfast. They had, but this is where all hell let loose. All pretence of being civil was dropped by this awful, awful man. He argued about everything - insisted no breakfast had been booked, the broken radiator (nothing wrong with it, and if the room was cold, what do you expect, its minus 5 outside). AT NO POINT DID HE APOLOGISE OR SAY SORRY. After I told him I had never been spoken to like this by anybody, never mind someone in Hotel customer services, he started telling me how he hated the place and I had to stop him there. I was upset by this point, I had had enough. He then grudgingly offered me a cooked breakfast but for obvious reasons I declined and left. All in all, a truly terrible experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wearytraveller137

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My friends and i stayed at The Preston Hotel on the 4th of December. It was an Absolute bargain. The rooms were lovely and spacious, clean and well decorated. There was a lovely homely atmosphere. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating letting us check in early and check out late as we had a funeral to attend. The breakfast was delicious and the bar was great. It was an all round brilliant experience and i would highly recommend it to anyone needing to stay in the area. Thank you Preston Hotel!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Hotel advertises a bar and restaurant services, they are not available on Tuesdays despite being advertised. They do not tell you at time of checking in, you only find out when you turn up for food & a beer.
I would not have booked in had I known this, and a 7 pm it's not easy to start trying to find accommodation !
No offer of reduction in room rates either.
Booking.com ignore complaint emails as well.

DON'T BOOK IN HERE!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Steveiro
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

A good small independent hotel; just out of the town centre. Stayed in one of the annex rooms, it was large well appointed and convenient for business travel. Had a good evening meal in the restaurant. Would certainly go back again if traveling in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
West Sussex
Reviewed August 21, 2012

As I say, the hotel staff we met were very friendly and helpful but the room was disappointing. There were no curtains at the windows, just venetian blinds which were fine during the day but let a lot of light in at night.The new bathroom looked lovely but the door was old and ill fitting. It didn't lock and kept blowing open! One of the pipes leaked, quite badly, and we reported this as soon as we noticed it but it was several hours before anyone came. We were out most of that day and returned to the room at about 10.30pm to find that there was still a slight leak and the towel we had put down was still there and had not been replaced. The room had not been cleaned, tea/coffee etc not replenished and bins not emptied. I have never stayed in a hotel before where the rooms are not serviced daily and I'm afraid this would stop me staying there again or recommending the hotel.
On a more positive note, the bar was pleasant, the breakfast was good and, as i said earlier, the staff were great. However, two nights was enough.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amil383
Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed here for two nights,we had problems finding a triple room so we were stuck with the Preston.Our room was in the attic, the glass had fallen out from the tiny attic window, it was smelly and mouldy the tiny stairs leading to the attic made it nearly impossible with luggage.I awoke on the first night with drops of rain of my face, the roof leaked! Can't understand how this room passed any council inspection! We were given another room the second night, out the back, much better.The younger manager there was very sorry for the inconvenience! Not good enough!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask for a room at the back, I think they call it the chalet.