“Hidden Gem in South East”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ashford
Elmsted Court Farmhouse
Ranked #11 of 29 Ashford B&B and Inns
Waldstadt
“Hidden Gem in South East”
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We stayed with 2 couples from the 26. June to 29. June as a stop over to Dover and the continent. We arrived by car fairly late (18:30) which was OK with Carol.
Upon arrival our host Carol greeted us kindly and courteously.
The breakfast was top notch and we could basically get whatever we wanted but mostly stayed with the Full English or egg on toast.
The rooms were tidy and even good quality toiletries were available in the super clean bathrooms.
My parents stayed in the slightly larger "Oak Room" since my Dad needed the firmer mattress but there was hardly any difference in my opinion.
Since we had keys we could basically come and go whenever we wanted.
Also, since I like ti cycle before breakfast Andy, Carol's husband, allowed me to use their tool shed to safely lock the bike during the day.
In addition I could keep my car in the barn to avoid it being in the sun all day stuffed with lots of stuff I bought on our trip so far.

I think the only issue which might irk somebody is heat related:
our smaller "Elm Room" only had a single small window hence it was pretty warm.
but we improvised by opening the door and venting the heat through my parents' room.
Obviously this is not fault but simply because of the beautiful old farm house being 14th century.

Since the Jakeman family is a local farmer family they obiously had pretty good knowledge not only of touristy places like Canterbury but the county's beauty.
For instance I took a lovely bike ride through the country to Canterbury before the tourists, very recommend!

Also taking the nearby North Downs Trail into the unspoiled town of Wye is a real treat.

For those of you who want to discover the are independently there were plenty of maps, brochures etc. in a box unter the dressing table.
Also there were plenty of recommendations where to eat out, kept up to date by the guest, too!

Generally we felt at home and very well cared for and as Andy said "you can make yourself feel at home". Spot on!
We'll definitely be back on our next trip to the "Garden of England".

Thank you!

Room Tip: Simply call Carol&Andy and they'll be happy to accomodate you.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank knubbels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Elmsted Court Farm B&B is an unexpected gem. I booked a room very easily on the 9th May for 1 night on Friday 13th May for my mother and myself. Tt was quickly confirmed via email.

From the word go, ie the booking I knew it would be a nice place as demonstrated by the warm and friendly conversation I had just booking.

We arrived on Friday with a friend who lives locally, who showed us the back way to get there! If you go out as per instructions it's a lot easier!

The room was absolutely pristine, the beds were comfortable and the room thoughtfully and carefully arranged. It's a nice touch having a fridge with fresh milk and fresh water in it. I could have stayed much longer as the room and delightful shower room was very well equipped, even with a torch.

Breakfast the next morning, at a time convenient for us, as at the time we were the only guests, was delighful, the platter of fresh fruit was wonderfully healthy and the cooked breakfast delicious. My mother is not eating much but she really enjoyed the fruit and the boiled egg she requested and the toast was very tasty.

We met Andrew briefly after watching him with some amusement feeding very hungry and aggressive sheep!

All in all, I would definitely recommend Elmsted Court Farm and we stayed in the Elm Room. I think Carol undercharges actually, as I feel certain the rooms are equivalent to a 5* B&B.

Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed May 2011
Lot France
Reviewed November 23, 2010

We found Elstead Court Farm by accident on the internet. We are regular travellers to and from France and are on the lookout constantly for good places to stay. Carol and Andy welcomed us warmly and we were made to feel instantly at home.
The large double room was comfortably furnished with everything the weary traveller could need, ((fridge, TV Tea/Coffee etc.,) and the sofa was really appreciated. The en suite shower room was beautifuul and the breakfast superb. It was well worth the short detour from the motorway and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MargaretLotFrance
CarolJakeman, Owner at Elmsted Court Farmhouse, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Thank you for your very positive comments which we very much appreciate.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We only spent one night in Elmsted Court Farmhouse and as we arrived we already regretted we couldn't stay longer! The location is wonderful and very peaceful.
We slept in the large oak room, which was very clean and nicely installed. The bathroom has an excellent shower. One minor problem was that we couldn't turn off the heating during the night so we had to open the window. We had a fantastic diner in The Five Bells, a pub nearby. The English breakfast was very good and I really appreciated the fresh fruit. Carol is a very friendly host. We will certainly recomment this place!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tamar011
CarolJakeman, Owner at Elmsted Court Farmhouse, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Thank you for your very kind review and comments.
We are sorry that you were unable to alter the heating in the bedroom but can advise you that we have now installed individual thermostats to the radiators to allievate the problem.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Lille, France
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Yes, the house is wonderful, as was the room where we spent a night. The breakfast too is excellent. We found our way thanks to the detailed notes provided - it is fairly remote with single track stretches of road to negotiate while being just a few bow shots from Ashford and Hythe. It's worth coming here just for its beautiful and totally peaceful location. We visited Chilham afterwards and that is just a short drive away. We had a really good evening meal in Wye, a village just a few miles down the road. I really can't see myself going anywhere else for B&B in that part of Kent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
CarolJakeman, Owner at Elmsted Court Farmhouse, responded to this review, August 13, 2010
Thank you for your very kind review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again one day
Leeds, UK
Reviewed December 13, 2009

We have just stayed in this farm and it really is pretty amazing inside - a proper old Kentish cottage with a homely feel about it. The only thing I would recommend is to drive there in the day as it isn't easy to find at night even for someone who grew up near there.

The farm is set in beautiful countryside within walking distance of a couple of great local pubs and within driving distance of the nearby village of Wye. It's in a village called Elmsted; although really it's more of a hamlet. The rooms are huge and come with TV and hot-drink making facilities. The owners are really nice and very welcoming. We were given a choice of breakfasts and there was a big variety of cereals, fruit etc for anyone not wanting the full English (which as it turns out was very nice anyway) The bathroom was excellent and fully kitted out with cosmetics/toiletries etc. The only minor problem with the whole experience was a couple of dead bugs that hadn't been hoovered up but the room was otherwise spotlessly clean.

All in all we were very pleased with the experience and would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a break in the Kent countryside or staying near Ashford.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind review of your stay with us. I can only apologise for the two dead flies that appeared on your carpet. I can assure you the room had been thoroughly cleaned prior to your arrival, and it is a mystery as to where they appeared from.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed February 15, 2009

My husband and I spent 3 blissful days with Carol & Andy and their 200+ sheep. Elmstead Court Farmhouse is delightful! Our room was spotless and very comfortable, the bathroom was nearly new with a great shower & plenty of hot water. The room was much larger than most hotel rooms I've experienced in England. The house is a 14th centry home located directly across from a 12th century church. We had wonderful full English breakfasts every morning. Our hosts were fabulous and didn't seem to mind our 1000 questions about their sheep. This is a perfect holiday for you if you love being out in the country, enjoy peace & quiet and really just want a relaxing spot to come back to from a day of exploring the area near Canterbury. Truly a magnificient spot to spend time in pastoral Kent.

• Liked — Clean, safe, quiet and hospitality!
  • Disliked — It's a bit of a drive to a pub.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Eastwell Manor
#3 of 3 in Wye
Iffin Farmhouse
Iffin Farmhouse
#1 of 75 in Canterbury

Been to Elmsted Court Farmhouse? Share your experiences!