“Could be great, but instead a bit odd”

Ashford International Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Ashford
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've stayed at Q-hotels before, and today I've enjoyed everyone of them.
It's not that I didn't enjoy this hotel, it was comfortable enough; it just seemed a bit....odd.

Reception was warm and welcoming. My check in was efficient. The hotel has a spacious area just inside the doors which is nice with various business rooms and conference facilities branching off to the side.
Beyond the reception is a long quite wide area which the reception referred to as "The Boulevard" off which are the bar and the restaurant. It's quite a nice public area to sit out in, and guests can eat in (on?) The Boulevard from the bar menu. Unusual in that it reminded me of some atriums in US shopping malls, but nonetheless nice.
I was sent up to my room via the lifts, which were a bit tricky to find. Once in I pressed floor "3" as instructed, but the lift delivered me to floor 2 - turns out the buttons align with the room numbers (301, 302, 303), but the lift display aligns with the floor level (ground, first, second).
So slightly confused, I followed signs to my room. The hotel is laid out in a large grid with a cross roads in corridors at various points. However, I kept being directed down sparse corridors with very little lights. I was beginning to wonder if I was going the wrong way and at any moment I would emerge in the kitchens, or somewhere similar. In parts it almost felt disused, as if no one had been that way for years.

Eventually though I found my way into a well lit corridor off which was my room.
The room was warm. The air conditioning was effective (both for warming and cooling) which makes a change from a lot of hotels I've stayed in.
I couldn't make my mind up if the decor was dated or stylish. Yet the room was clean and quite spacious - my room was in the corner of one of the courtyards formed from the grid style layout, which gave it a bit of extra room at one end of the room. Rooms along the middle of the courtyards looked somewhat smaller from the fire escape route drawing on the back of the door. Had my room not had the extra bit, I might have felt a little cramped.

The bathroom was really nice. Very clean and smart with a nice selection of toiletries, towels, etc.

I didn't eat in the restaurant. I did though have food in the bar. I had the steak, which was nicely cooked, although nothing memorable. More what I would call standard pub fayre. Nice, well cooked but nothing special; but then I don't think the bar was intending on being special - simply social. The restaurant was there for "special".

I slept quite well, better than I often do on single night stays.

Breakfast was nice, though busy and I while a waitress occasionally came and offered guests tea or coffee, they were generally too busy clearing tables, and in the end I had to ask.
The english breakfast was nice but from a buffet rather than cooked fresh.

I attended a meeting in a conference room. The room was a bit small for the number of people, but I have no way of knowing if that was the hotel's fault or the fault of the organisers.
The food supplied to the room during the day, though, was excellent and for that I give the hotel a lot of credit. A good job.

Check out was efficient.

In summary, the stay was nice and I enjoyed the room. I would give this hotel a Very Good if it wasn't for the confusing and slightly odd experience of finding the room, and if the hotel had given a bit more thought to the bar area. So it fell down on a couple of areas, otherwise it would have had a four rating.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
AIHGeneralManager, General Manager at Ashford International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear DrPaulT
Many thanks for recently reviewing Ashford International Hotel and for your constructive comments. I have taken them on board and asked the Maintenance team to make sure the bedroom corridors are all well lit. I’m pleased that you slept well and that you enjoyed your stay overall. Thank you once again and we look forward to being of service to you again in the near future. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,537)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

As a business traveler the key things for me are parking, easy check in, and internet access.
These are the 3 fundamentals of any business hotel and this place ticked all three boxes.

The rooms were good, comfortable with a bit of character, the pink carpet in the hallways wasnt my choice but its not like I need to stare at it for long.

We ate at the restaurant in the hotel and not only did we have an English waitress, but she was smiley, happy, and upsold us on both deserts and starters.

The conference we were running was smoothly managed and well run. I didnt get a chance to try the spa but would definitely stay here again.

Only criticism was breakfast wasn't served until 7 am but on the way down in the lift I saw that as of the following week it would now start at 06.30 so it looks like they listen to customer feedback which these days is a rare thing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
AIHGeneralManager, General Manager at Ashford International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear joel a
Many thanks for your review and I’m delighted that you had a comfortable stay and that the team looked after you throughout. We will indeed now be serving full English breakfast in the Horizon Restaurant from 06.30am Monday to Friday. However we are also able to serve a continental breakfast in your room before this time. Thank you once again and I hope you will visit again soon, perhaps for leisure? We have some excellent spa packages available on the QHotels website. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here recently as a belated birthday present for my friend. Staff were friendly and helpful. We upgraded to a superior room and the room was clean and spacious with a sofa and chair. The pool was clean, jacuzzi could have been bigger but adequate. Really enjoyed the stay will stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Dillymaude
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I’m delighted that you and your friend enjoyed your stay in the King Superior room. Those little extras and the extra space make it all the more special. We also have QStar rooms which include a stocked mini fridge, luxury feather bedding and other goodies to enjoy. We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed Friday to Sunday. Great price booked through their own website for dinner on first night and 2 nights B and B. Room was nice, slightly tatty in places ( bits of Formica peeled off the furniture in places) lovely bathroom with toiletries, ironing facilities, tea, coffee and biscuits. Dinner was very good , beautifully presented and plenty of it. Fabulous breakfast. Credit to ALL STAFF every person we spoke to from the receptionists, Angie in the restaurant to the guy who serviced our room, were really happy, friendly and helpful.
Now just a couple of points to raise. The spa was important to us and I had rung several times throughout the week to book some treatments but the phone was never answered. When it was answered there was no availability so quite disappointing. We went for a swim twice at about 6pm, both times the floors in the changing rooms were really dirty with hairs, dirt and makeup . On the Saturday there were about 10 towels piled up on the bench as well. Staff were walking through the pool area in trainers, hence dirty floors. My partner said the men's changing rooms were the same. To live up to a 4 star I felt this should not be the case, it should have been cleaner. The rest of the facilities were clean and lovely.
One other tip would be please have some spare cutlery out somewhere at breakfast. Everyone was asking for extras or just pinching it off other tables, it would surely be easier to have extra available.
I would recommend the hotel and would return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debby2990
AIHGeneralManager, General Manager at Ashford International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Debby2990
Many thanks for your review and your kind words regarding the team. I also appreciate you bringing the issues regarding the leisure club and cutlery to my attention. Please be assured I have addressed these with the Leisure Club Manager and the Restaurant Manager. However I am pleased that they haven’t affected your wish to return and we look forward to welcoming you again soon. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed last weekend for a birthday treat from my parents, Lovely relaxing atmosphere, Pool was great with everything working - however the pool did get very very busy on the Sat afternoon with small children.

We ate in the Bar on the sat night, the food was great, Breakfasts were amazing with everyone catered for, the herb sausages were the best I've tasted, the breakfast serving staff were very
polite!

My only two bug bares were when we popped to the car about 10:00pm on the Friday night there was an premier foods event going on in one of the conference rooms and about 4 males from the event were going for a wee in the bushes in the car park.
Also on the Sat night we were woken about 4-5 times in the early hours by loud guests walking and shouting up and down the corridor.

Both of the bad points above were not the fault of the hotel but that of the individuals involved.

All in all a lovely weekend away

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear DannyDanDan
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am pleased to hear that your stay was relaxing and enjoyable. We do allow children to swim within designated times which are 9am – 12pm and 2pm – 7pm each day. Our Head Chef was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food and particularly the sausages at breakfast. We all look forward to being of service to you again in the near future. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked a 1 night stay at the Ashford International in a family room. We were unsure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised. The room was huge,very tastefully decorated and spotless. We also had full use of the gym and spa. At breakfast the next morning there was so much to choose from. Staff were very professional, polite and friendly.

Well worth the money and yes would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank debwhiteLondon
AIHGeneralManager, General Manager at Ashford International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear debwhiteLondon
Many thanks for your review; I’m pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and that the team were friendly and professional. All the best offers can be found on our website so we look forward to your return very soon. Kind Regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just returned today from a spa break. We come as often as possible and can't fault it. Service , food etc all excellent. the icing on the cake this time was a room upgrade! 2king size beds for us. Thank you so much. Booked already for March, cheeky ask but can you do it again.we love it there. Fantastic value for Monet too. Penny

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Penny
Thank you so much for another lovely review; I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay again and that we were able to upgrade you. I have also shared your review with the team and we very much look forward to your return in March. Thanks again and kind regards Deirdre Billing, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Holiday Inn Ashford - Central
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Hythe Imperial
Hythe Imperial
#1 of 3 in Hythe

Been to Ashford International Hotel? Share your experiences!