“Really good food at a real good price”
Review of Veritas Wine Bar & Bistro - CLOSED

Veritas Wine Bar & Bistro
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We went here friday 22nd of November for our work end of week lunch. The service was quick and the food was excellent. The staff was real friendly.

The price is really good value, 6.95 for a one course meal.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

just been for another meal and was just as good as every other time we have been! had the early bird option because we think it is such good value for really tasty food.3 courses, bottle of red wine and 1 beer all for £52 for 2 of us...fantastic !! we will be back very soon because there is so much more on the menu we want to try.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Visited on Saturday evening, the place is lacking in atmosphere and it is a bit odd having rock music playing in a restaurant. The staff are all surly and you will be expected to help get plates to your place as you are served. The food is average and the fish pie had clearly been microwaved which is very disappointing. Far worse is the fact that dirty plates were presented at table and we had to request they were changed. I could forgive this in a greasy spoon cafe but not in a restaurant charging 10-25 pounds per course. Will not visit again

2  Thank Lewis W
Veritasrocks, Owner at Veritas Wine Bar & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Lewis, If I may I will respond to each of your points

Atmosphere - I am sorry you didn't enjoy this. It was a busy night and we like the buzz here but we clearly we cannot be all things to all men.

Music - Most of our music is pop though it is possible that among our 4000+ music track random shuffle one rock tune was played. Please accept my apology that this was not to your liking.

Helping with plates - It does happen that sometimes we can't always reach across guests when their chairs are in the way. I am sorry this upset you.

Microwave - Our fish pies are NOT microwaved but it could well have been very hot given that your table had a camembert starter which took quite some time to eat. When we came to check you were happy with your meals you said you were.

Side plates - It is true that there were some watermarks on your side plates which I am very sorry for but to say they are dirty is not fair or true.

Staff - I completely reject that the staff are surly. They are absolutely lovely girls though quite possibly might not have had time to have a social chat with a full restaurant.

Prices - Our starter range from £5 to £7. Our main courses £10 to £14. Our steaks £15 to £23.
We also offer a lunch and early evening menu price with 1 course @ £6.95, 2 courses @ £9.95 and three courses @ £12.95.

I am always available to talk about your experience and welcome feedback. We are a small business and work very hard to please our guests. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the generous tip you left the girls and to deduce from this gesture that there were elements of the evening that you did enjoy.

Please do call me any time. Our number is 01295 268873

With kind regards,
Dorothee

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We visited Veritas on Saturday 12th October with four friends, this is a restaurant we use from time to time always enjoying very good food.
Saturday was no exception, the food was excellent., just slightly let down by the service which could have been equally good if the waitress had asked us if we wanted to try the wine and not just ‘plonked’ it on the table (overall I would give this dining experience 8.5 / 10)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Walked in, on the off chance of grabbing a table. Greeted by the owner, who sat me down and, offered the "early bird" menu, if I ordered straight away. 3 courses, a large glass of wine, and a coffee, came to £20.00. Bargain!. Especially when the food is of the quality I experienced. Working out when I can make my next visit.