“Nice touches, but not perfect.”
Review of Cromwell Lodge

Cromwell Lodge
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Norwich
“Nice touches, but not perfect.”
Reviewed September 10, 2008

I have now stayed at this hotel twice. The first time in a standard room and the second time we were given one of the suites.

The check in desk is not constantly manned, so checking in and out can be a bit of a challenge, especially if you need to leave particularly early or are checking in late. It's all a bit squeezed in the corridor. There are also many many stairs, and no lift, making it a bit of a chore with lots of cases!

I have not eaten an evening meal in the hotel, but the menu looks lovely, and judging by the breakfast I imagine it would be nice. The breakfast room is lovely and the food provided great, but the staff could be a bit more attentive!

The standard room in which I stayed was comfortable and functional, but had some issues, such as the shower which got boiling hot every time someone else used a tap and was so small that you could not get away from the water. The floor was also so uneven that there was a gap of about an inch between the bathroom door and the floor. The room was clean and obviously newly decorated, and the bed was comfortable, however the furniture was disappointingly cheap looking.

The suite I stayed in on my second visit was beautiful. Sloping ceilings and beams, a huge bathroom with a free standing bath, flatscreen TV, very comfortable bed and plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits. It does overlook the street and main road, meaning at night it was either hot or noisy!

Overall I was impressed. It's a great old building and a real effort has been made to make it pleasant to stay in. However the Mercure Whately Hall down the street is cheaper and generally more consistently good quality, so I would probably opt for that first, unless you can get a really good deal at the Cromwell.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Check in
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Devon
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We were very happy with our stay. The food and service was excellent. Being a vegetarian it was great to see a range of meals not normally served. Congratulations to the chef. Will be back.

• Liked — Vegitarian Food & Large Rooms
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed at this hotel one night as part of a tour. We had a room on an upper floor at the front of the building. There was no AC, but the window could open and there was a fan.

However, this is a busy street, so the noise of the traffic, and a group of teenagers having fun early in the morning, made it difficult to sleep.

Even more difficult for me was that the only covering on the bed was a very nice duvet. This was July and the duvet was WAY too warm. I hate having air blow on me, and husband had to have the fan since it was hot. I wound up sleeping under a bath towel.

The other issue was that they put a roll away bed in our room for our son (no triples). The room was too small to have the roll away set up, so we asked them to just leave it and we would set it up later. I'm glad we did.

Several of the wires under the mattress were not connected, so I fixed that before setting up the bed. We also realized there was only one sheet, so I asked for another, which was given quite happily (wish I had known to ask for one for me!).

Another couple traveling with their grandson in our group had worse luck with the roll away bed - it collapsed when their grandson climbed in!

Breakfast the next morning was certainly adequate and everyone (including my picky son) found something to eat. Dinner the night before had been quite good.

Overall, an ok place to stay but I probably wouldn't do it again.

• Liked — Banbury was a neat place
  • Disliked — Too hot
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Banbury hotels

KENT
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I booked this from viewing the photos on the website and it all looked wonderful.

The outside is a wonderful old inn at Banbury Cross. When I got there they were full and I was given a single room even though I had booked a double. The room was tiny but I must admit had everything a single travellor would need and the shower room was new so that was a bonus. However there wa a connecting door so I had to wait until my neighbour turned his tele off at 2 in the morning before I could go to sleep. Also you couldnot sleep with the window open as the road is generally busy all night and there is a night clud two doors down and with the smokers partying most of the night outside the club this really isnt the place to stay if you are a light sleeper.

The staff were friendly and polite but the deocr was looking tired in places and really was an up market budget hotel. The food was the type that you get at any pub - stick it in the oven, fryer or microwave with chips - so we went to a fantastic Thai restaurant just opposite - we can certainly recommend that!

The breakfast was buffet style and good.

I would stay here again or recommend it as it was noisy and not that relaxing.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the rest of it
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
north west england
Reviewed August 28, 2007

Also referred to on this site as just the Cromwell Hotel.

Just stayed one night on a late availability for £15pp, so cannot grumble too much.
The hotel is impressive from the outside, nice and clean inside.
The bar area is pleasent.
Our room was a nice size, but one or two little things like no plug in the sink, covers missing off the taps, wallpaper a little shabby in places would have got me a little upset had I paid the full £95 per night.

We paid £7 for the breakfast, which was not as good as others I have had at Old english Inns hotels, but it was OK.

Overall if you can get a good deal then try, full price I would look elsewhere for good value

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lordys
wrexham
Reviewed July 20, 2007

This is a nice place to stay if you aren't looking for 4 star accomodation. The staff are very friendly, the food is nice,hot and well presented. The room we stayed in, number 120 was looking abit dated and was a bit small, but if you are looking for a base to explore the cotswolds you could do alot worse. I used the Cromwell Lodge as a base to show my friend around the cotswolds as she had never been there before.
We had a ball, I used to live in Banbury until about 14 years ago and it was very strange to see the changes. The pubs have nosedived but the Unicorn in the market place retains most of its original features and the staff were very friendly with us. Give this place ago if you want someplace for a quick stop over, it can get ait noisy dueto the marque for the weddings situated right under the windows. Overall a nice place.

• Liked — friendly staff, especially Pindoli. location.
  • Disliked — dated room, bit noisey
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank beau2
manchester
Reviewed July 8, 2007

This Hotel is the most disappointing place I have ever stayed, we went for my husbands 50th birthday I booked this hotel, because if you have a look at the web site (and you must) it looks idyllic and quiet ,PAH! rubbish it was facing a bar that had very loud music pumping out of it untill 12am and I know that does not sound late but when the late night revellers are under you window at 2 and 3 am it's no fun.
The website boasted an extensive wine list, well if you call Jacobs Creek with a £10 mark up extensive. The food was appalling you could tell everything had been cooked previously and warmed in a microwave, especially the breakfast the bacon,sausage and black pudding I could of soled my shoes with they were so hard.
The service of any kind was slow .
Its the only time I have been glad to leave a hotel and couldn't wait to get home

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple