“This Pub Is The Best”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Sthelens
“This Pub Is The Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Just been to a wedding at this pub and it was one of the best iv been too.The food was excellent it was cheap and the staff couldnt do enough for you.They were very busy but they always had time to talk,they didnt flinch when 3 xtra people showed up they just got xtra chairs.The room had a iron and a iron board and hairdryier. Drink were a good price too.Every member of staff were A+

Room Tip: The rooms on the front are good for noseying :)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your great comments see you again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Burton-upon-Trent, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

My room was on the top floor (and there are quite a few stairs!) but it was nice, quiet, clean, and had biscuits as well as tea / coffee / shampoo / hairdryer / TV. The biscuits always begin to sell a hotel to me!

Sleep was good quality, bed was firm but not hard and the shower was large enough.

The bar sold some GOOD beer, the staff were lovely and the food was plenty good and reasonably priced. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't like walking, don't ask for a top floor room. Also some ground floor rooms are...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback, We look forward to seeing you again soon
Whitstable, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Im not sure where to start. when we arrived we were taken to a room. On walking in I was immediately struck by the obnoxious smell followed by being struck by the mildew on the net curtain and the gap under the door which opened out on to the garden. After complaining we were shown to another room upstairs which had wallpaper hanging off the wall, the door hanging off the wardrobe and a hole in the net curtain. We decided to stay here as we had no where else to stay. Fortunately the bedding was clean and fresh and the bathroom and room cleaned well. Breakfast was good but by the time we ate it we were just keen to get out of the place. We will not be returning or recommending it but at least they made the gesture and took £20 off the bill because they were embarrassed.

Room Tip: don't take 25 or 17
2 Thank Ruth1499
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Sorry we did not meet your expectations especially when you were moved from your original choice. Hope you return so we can make you feel welcome and comfortable.

Travelers are raving about these Banbury hotels

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

What can i say, friendly staff, very clean and great food and valve for money. Could do with a handy man for small bits of maintenance in the rooms but apart from that will definitely be going back. Beautiful gardens at the back and great location we loved Banbury.

Room Tip: Room 17 very nice double room
1 Thank glasseyedeb
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your great comments hope to see you again soon.
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

First lets start with the positives. The rooms are very good, with really comfortable beds and everything you might need - except an electric fan. Ironing board, digital tv, tea and coffee, and free wifi are all provided.

Food served in the bar and restaurant was pretty decent; and very reasonably priced.

However, whilst I'd love to give this hotel 4 or 5 stars, I can't - in the 2 nights I stayed there I slept for maybe 2 hours if I'm lucky.

The problem? First, I booked on hotels.com on the basis that the room had "climate control". I can only assume that they mean "open the window" because there was no climate control and no electric fan. The room was unbearably hot, so on the first night I had to leave the windows wide open to try and get some air in. On the second night, I couldn't do this due to noise from guests in the beer garden until 3am. Even a polite "please shut up" didn't stop their incessant racket.

Additionally, the plumbing in the hotel is so loud - when anybody in neighbouring rooms uses a toilet or tap, the white noise produced is ridiculously loud. It has to be heard to be believed.

I'm disappointed because the hotel really is lovely - the staff are very pleasant, check in and check out was painless and rooms are of a good standard. But sleeping on a hot night proved to be impossible.

• Stayed September 2013
sorry to hear your comments please do return and hopefully we can rectify these problems.
somerset uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Oh dear! To start on a positive I LOVED the bed and bedding and slept very well.
Check in was a bit perplexing as we had thought we had pre-paid but the Receptionist thought we hadn't...
The room was Ok, I thought but my husband thought it was a bit damp and it was a bit shabby.
In the morning, things went a bit 'down-hill' as we waited 20 minutes for a pot of tea, for breakfast and 40 minutes for our cooked breakfast. My bacon tasted a bit odd at one end of one 'rasher' and the scrambled egg was very dry and my baked beans were congealed, but we were a bit 'beyond caring' by then. The pot of tea was nice; we ordered another one, as we had finished the first one by the time the cooked breakfast was served.
Check out was time-consuming.
I had a print-out of my booking and could confirm that we HAD prepaid but I had to wait in the queue to hand in our key, which was a bit annoying. I did get an apology from the receptionist.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I am sorry you were not 100 percent happy with your stay. Thank you for your comments and we will endeavour to rectify the points raised.
Thetford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel is amazingly clean and has great character which is always valued, however what makes this place truly special is the staff and by staff I mean the waiting, cleaning, reception, bar and management. Every single member seems so happy and positive all the time. They are so friendly and always speak. I stayed here for 5 nights with my elderly Mum and nothing was too much trouble. The detail the staff remembered about us so quicly like name, wine preference and that we played dominos in the evenings was amazing and made us feel valued and special. By the time we left they felt like friends and they made our holiday really special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Its great to give our staff such a well earned boost.