“1 night 'draughty' business stay”
Review of Cromwell Lodge

Cromwell Lodge
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Reviewed February 13, 2013

reception not great, after waiting 5 mins from ringing the bell had to go to the bar and ask to check in.
room a bit quirky but ok, until I realised there was a missing - yes missing - window pane. clearly this had been the case for some time as there was a piece of cardboard 'stuck' to the window with packing tape except it had been there long enough for the tape to become unstuck. on a very chilly winter night the only option was to block the gap with one of the spare pillows. also there seemed to be a large hole underneath the carpet which you sank in to everytime you went to the bathroom. Mentioned the missing window pane when checking out and the temporary manager said that the previous manager had left suddenly a week ago and they hadnt had a chance to check all rooms - cant understand how in a hotel this small they would not be able to get around all rooms in a week??? also unable to do full checkout as 'systems were down' but temp manager took my email details and promised to email account to me later that day - no email received 5 days later. having read another review I am now concerned that I will be charged for something I didnt spend, and only my credit card statement will confirm. I actually tried to cancel this hotel 12 hours before checking in and was told I would be charged full cancellation - if I had known my allocated room was missing a window pane I would never have checked in and would have refused cancellation fees

Room Tip: not the one with the broken window pane - cant remember but may have been 15
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, the window concerned has been fixed & given the age of our building these things are subject to listed building challenges which I am sure you can appreciate. We do hope that you will try us again & give us the opportunity to show how good we can be.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed over for one night on our way back from London to North Wales. We were made very welcome when we arrived, our room was clean with nice fresh bed linen. The room was very warm but the bathroom had no heating which was quite cool. We ordered our evening meal which I was really looking forward too, I chose chili chicken from the special board, I thought the chicken was tough I left quite a bit of it, I mentioned it to Gabriela the owner and she just brushed it aside. My husband also ordered a news paper to be delivered to the room next morning but didn't arrive. When we arrived home and I looked at the bill I noticed they had charged us for it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jan H
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding The Cromwell Hotel. We value all feedback whether good or bad to improve our service offered to our guests. Please be assured that we took your comments on board so that other customers do not have a same experience & issues regarding the quality of food.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Only popped in to have a look at prospective places to stay and eat in Banbury.
Had a lovely couple of hours sitting in front of the roaring fire supping beers.
Cant comment on the food or accommodation but the bar areas were nice and the food being served looked good.
Certainly worth a visit and on this very snowy and cold day it was no wonder that they were busy as opposed to the other nearby hotels and pubs who had not lit their fires.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

First of all l would just like to say this is a old building and it may be need of a little work which reading the reviews some people think but this all cost money . How ever we use The Cromwell a lot for something to eat meet friends the food is always very good and great value for money the breakfast is really good to we have never stopped there as we only live just out of town but we do go there some times on a Sundays for breakfast. We have also been there for the last 3 years for New years and had a good night Excellent value The staff are all very good. Big thank you to Gabriel and Gabrela and l would like to wish them both all the best From The Davis family and friends

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you for this feedback we do value all of our customers comments. We will of course be passing this on the team to ensure we learn from everything you have said, it is always nice to be able to pass on positives. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us & hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here during bad weather. Made us feel very welcome as we had to sit in lounge for long periods and not keen to drink. Food was excellent and amazing value for money. Main courses at £5.00. Breakfast really good choice and cooked fresh. The rooms were clean and comfortable and warm but the bathroom had no heating so very cold. Wifi free and good speed. Good location with parking and you could walk to shops and other bars etc. People need to compare standard with money paid,

Room Tip: May need room at back as our room was quite but friends at front said very noisy
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Montgomery16

Many thanks for your feedback we have and will continue to use this to make positive changes for the benefit of our guest experience for everyone. We will of course pass your positive comments onto the team. We hope to see you again soon at the Cromwell.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Hello I stayed in the Cromwell Lodge for a weekend away with my fiancé. As well as a comfortable and relaxing the hotel is close to a variety of amenities, including a great market on weekends. The food is great both dinner and breakfast, but The Cromwell is nothing without is team. They are everything you would expect them to be and more! they are what sets the character of the building. Just a special thank you to Gabriel and Gabriela for there hard work and dedication to trying to make everyone's stay the best it can be. Defiantly worth another stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrWilliams67
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Many thanks for your feedback we have and will continue to use this to make positive amendments for the benefit of our guest experience for everyone. We hope to see you again soon at the Cromwell.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here on business for one evening in December 2012. As usual I was asked for my credit card details upon check in which was fine. The rooms are okay albeit wafer thin walls and you can hear conversation in rooms next door, also very dated with noisey extraction but okay for the money and good location with parking.
upon check out i was again asked for my credit card and off I went.
After a few days I logged online to my bank to see that I had been charged twice for my stay so I called up the hotel to be told someone would call me back. I did not receive a call back so I called again to be told the same thing. At this point I was very frustrated and sent an email hoping that this would get a reply - after another 2 days still nothing !! I then made another call and spoke to the manager 'gabrielle' who apologised and requested I send a copy of my statement by email - surely his records would show they charged me twice ??? anyway as I have an i phone i took a picture of the page and emailed it over - this was over a week ago and I still have not heard anything despite the managers assurances it would get dealt with promptly !!
This is very poor customer service and management and i would not recommend anyone to stay there based on my experiences with the management !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding The Cromwell Hotel. We value all feedback whether good or bad to improve our service offered to our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured that we took your comments on board and shared them with the whole team. The reason for the double charge was that at the time of check in we did a pre-authorisation which should just hold the amount and not charge until check out. We are also very sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we needed to liaise with the bank and our card machine department which took longer than anticipated, however we would normally communicate with our customers beforehand, so our apologies that this did not happen on this occasion. Once again we would like to send our apologies for this matter and hope that you shall visit Old English Inns in the near future.