“Upstairs Downstairs”
Review of Cromwell Lodge

Cromwell Lodge
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Have stayed at the Cromwell on several occasions and read most of the reviews which in some parts are all correct. Location, excellent. Staff wise, I have never had a problem, certainly on the last visit, ( Early December) the Manager went out of his way to fix me a late breakfast (11.30! ) And was very jolly.
I didn't eat there in the evening so can't comment on the food or the service, although what passed me by looked pretty good. Sadly as you climb the stairs, leaving the pleasant bar behind, things get a bit murky. The corridors and stairwells are shabby and my room(deluxe at the top/front) was large with a decent sized comfortable bed and good cotton sheets. However, the rooms smell wasn't good. A wierd mixture of cloying lilly fragrance, damp and Jeyes fluid required all the windows being opened to get rid of the smell. The damp was visibly evident on the rotting window frames in the bathroom and Vegetation rotting in the eaves of the roof immediately outside a small badly fitting metal window didn't help. Every move in the room resulted in creaks and groans and the 'give' in the floorboards would suggest reflooring is on the imminent to do list. I Paid £90.00 for this room on this occasion and wouldn't do so again.
I have also paid £60 for one of the newer,(refurbished), but much smaller rooms in the extension at the back which had none of the problems described above and I would happily book one of these again(at that price). I think if Old English are going to charge bigger bucks for the bigger rooms, They need to get a refurb team in there PDQ and start providing a bigger, better experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank flaq

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Regardless of what others comment. I found this hotel warm and friendly and terrific value both for price of the room and for the cost of meals which were excellent. The staff were friendly and attentive, the rooms clean and well serviced. I would recommend the english breakfast but at £9.95 for two great meals what more can you say Ideal for my personal use being close to family I will return

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We have stayed here many times the staff are always friendly,the food always good,
Ideal location for Shopping or Relaxing or both,as we do .
A very pleasant and friendly place to stay nothing is too much trouble for the Staff and the room is always well maintained.
Will definately be going back soon Hopefully to relax after Christmas .
Book with Confidence.

Room Tip: Room 23 is a Very Nice Room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you for your very kind & positive feedback, this will be passed onto the whole team. We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I booked an evening for a few work mates having the Christmas three course meal.
The staff were friendly and we were shown to our table on time. Per ordered wine came out at the start and the table was cleared once all our party had finished a course. A slight delay between courses but hey no one was in a hurry..we got in the spirit of things as the table had Christmas Crackers and a popper each. We all really enjoyed our meal good value for money.

Room Tip: No comment as we only used the restaurant .
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments, we will of course pass these onto the entire team. We are very pleased that you all enjoyed your Christmas party with us & hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last weekend x for the price x we could not fault it x cosy clean room x friendly staff x althought none English ?? Breakfast was good x very creaky !!! But accept as its a really old building x slept like a log !!!! Perfect location x near the town centre x x a LOVLEY stay x great shopping too x we would DEFINATLY stop here again xx £49 for a couple for room and breakfast can't fault it

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for your kind feed back, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us & hope to see you again soon

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We followed the hotel description from the internet booking system and those from the hotel directory. At the end of our stay we thought we were in a nightmare. The rooms the hotel manager put to our disposal offered us a trip to the past. The rooms are not refurbished, especially not the bathroom of the double bed room for my wife and me - a really trip to Britain in the time of the forties. It was conspicuous that the room are only superficial cleaned; the table in the room was completely sticked and the shower curtain was full of mould! The bathroom window, or better to say those what a bathroom window may be, was also mouldy and has got the last painting after the Battle of Britain. Both rooms were choking with an unidentified smell of airfreshioner, offered tired tatty furniture and poorly lit. Historical was also the condition of our mattress, but we had refused any further examination.... I will expect such a hotel in Mumbai but not in the Cotswolds! In the restaurant we found the next morning similar conditions: the table hasn't been cleaned from the former guests, everything was sticking. The restaurant room looks like arranged from the last auction - we found six different types of chairs around the tables and the praised English breakfast proved as a bad joke with burned mushrooms, scrambled eggs from the fast food collection and toast which might be from the day before. This stay was really a journey to the past. It was the most creepily hotel stay we ever had! P.S. Although I have paid the hotel by cash the management debited my credit card with the room rates. I have kindly asked the management to explain this "mistake" twice, but I haven't received neither a reply nor an apology - Sherewood forest is close-by, prehaps we have met some of the sheriffs relatives. Who knows....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. We will of course pass this on to the team members concerned & remedy everything we can. We do hope you will visit us again so we can show you how good we can be.

Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Great location, i couldn't praise the staff more, very attentive.
Would stay again.....give them all a pay rise.
The hotel room was adequate very clean and tidy and the bar area had a good atmospere.
My self and my wife had a great weekend and was also impressed with the breakfast and selection.
The hotel was well located for the shops, bars and restaurants.
I wouldn't hesitate in booking again.

• Stayed: December 2012
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

It’s great to get your feedback & we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back to The Cromwell soon.