“kev h great weekend”
Review of Cromwell Lodge

Cromwell Lodge
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Reviewed September 3, 2012

this is a lovely building in an excellent position in banbury we travelled up from devon for my cousins wedding and stayed for the weekend, parking is round the back and is free, the room we had was nice bed very comfortable (slept like a log) breakfast is second to none fruit juice, cereal,fruit, croissants, full english, veggie breakfast and many more choices, there is also a bar menu which offers food most of the day, the staff were excellent all weekend thanks to steff and everyone else i would recommend this hotel and if i am up this way again would stay here again many thanks to the cromwell lodge

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 18, 2012

On arrival at this hotel it seems a nice English County Town Hotel, the room was very small, hot and generally not clean. I overheard other people saying they felt the same. I left the hotel to meet a friend and attend a function in town in the evening returning at 01.30 a.m. , this is when the night turned very bad. I tried to gain access with the key I had been given at both the front and rear of the hotel, but the key would not work, a policeman noticed my dilema and came to give me help, we rang the hotel night bell for 5 minutes, his control room rang the hotel telephone twice but could raise no one. Eventually I was forced to take a taxi to The Holliday Inn and pay for a room there for the night. On returning to the Cromwell Lodge I explained what had happened and was told not to worry as I would not be charged for the room, I was not offered breakfast or compensation for my taxi fares, it was discovered I had not been given the correct key at check in. I contacted the company who owns the hotel and recieved the same response. I would NEVER stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding The Cromwell Lodge Hotel. We value all feeback whether good or bad to improve our service offered to our guests.
We are sorry to hear of your experience on that night. Please be assured that since then we have had all new locks fitted to prevent this dilemma happening again. We also spoke to the team member that was working that morning to discuss how the issue should have been dealt with correctly.
Once again we would like to send our apologies for this matter and hope that you shall visit Old English Inns in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This lovely old building is situated in an excellent position for exploring Banbury, parking is easy and free.
If you want non sloping, non creaky floors,modern bathrooms and wide corridors then stay at a PREMIER INN.The staff were excellent, friendly ,helpfull and knowledgeable.Breakfast was a delight and our evening meal very good value for money.
The bedroom, whilst dated, was sizable and the bed large and very comfortable.This is not a hotel for guests with walking difficulties due to the lack of a lift and narrow corridors . It does however give value for money and the building and facilities are those to be expected in premises of this age,

Room Tip: Never stay when there is a function on
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We always take your comments on board to deliver the best service and value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

First appearance was a beautiful impressive building outside with lots of old world charm inside as first glance. Claims to be 4 star.
The food was generally good though cant recommend the porridge which arrived full of lumps. The bed was clean and comfortable.
However where do I start about the rest!!
We booked a premier room for the extra space and were told our room number 22 was on the top 3rd floor. Despite me being on crutches and my husband using a walking stick the receptionist couldn’t offer us another room. The climb to the room would have challenged Edmond Hilary!! Never mind I thought the premier room would be worth it. Was I in for a shock.
On opening up the room it was like walking into an oven. It was a warm summer day outside, but the temperature in the room was stifling! There was no air conditioning so I immediately rang down to reception using my mobile (room phone didn’t work) and asked for a fan to be delivered to the room. Which turned up about an hour later. (I learned afterwards that the duty manager had sent a member of staff out to purchase one!)
We than began to explore our premier room!! The room was dirty, with a variety of miss matched chipped furniture, which was only useful for kindling. But worse was to come. On opening the wardrobe door we found thick dust on the shelf where we were supposed to put our belongings. Thick dust was also visible on the bed base. But worst of all was the bathroom and the photo I took of that has to be seen to be believed. On the bed was a card, which informed me that Anna had cleaned our room!!!!
I then decided to go and remonstrate with the Duty Manager with my photos as evidence. The duty manager admitted he didn’t inspect the rooms often enough and that he wouldn’t bathe in that bathroom!!
We were then offered room 14 “looking over the garden” we were told!
We accepted, with gratitude and although the room was smaller, and very short on drawer space as least the bathroom was clean. Ok, I thought we will be ok here. When I looked out of the window to view the promised “garden” and could only the top of a marque. That should have given us a clue!!
The party and Disco started around 7pm directly under our window and gradually got louder as the night progressed. So loud we were unable to hear the TV! As the evening was hot, we needed the window open as well as the fan, but had to close it and bake!! The heavy window curtains, had they been attached to the curtain rail, may have muffled the sound, but they were hanging off the rail and we were unable to reach to re-attach them. Never mind I thought the party wont go on all night. It finally began to draw to a close at 11.45 but not before the drunken guests at the party set off the fire alarm caused us to both jump out of bed and prepare to struggle down the stairs. Thankfully by the time we opened our room door someone switched the alarm off. The Hotel Inspector needs to visit this hotel. We would not visit this Hotel again. See also photos

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at this lovely old Inn situated within the wonderful Cotswolds area. Banbury is a busier and larger town than most of the others in the region. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The plumbing was quite noisy and our room didn't have air con but this didn't spoil our stay. The food is quite basic but reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We usually take our dog with us so don't know if we get one of the better rooms. The two we hav...
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My work colleagues and I ate at the Cromwell three times this week. The food is truely very good. We are going to staying in banbury for the next three months , so were looking for somewhere good to eat each night. We though we'd found it ! However , after experiencing just how rude both Paul ( the cocky Barman ) and Steffi ( the stone faced Manageress ) can be we will eat anywhere but the Cromwell! While other members of staff proved to be far more friendly, even when looking a bit too subdued by the cold presence of Steffi.
We are truely at a loss as to why Paul and Steffi seemed to take an instant dislike to us. We are professional people. We weren't by any means rowdy or rude. Hell, we weren't even rude in retaliation to rudeness. We were just baffled as to why Paul and Steffi were so cold towards us. When I was paying the bill and giving a undeserved tip on the last night ( I always like to tip, in this case I was solely considering the chef.) I said to steffi , " You think lowly of us don't you."
" We don't think low of anyone ." she replied, without making eye contact. Then she tutted and said " You'll have to put your pin in again , my machines playing up." so I removed my debit card to restart the process, and she screamed " now you messed it up ! " " Sorry " I replied " but I thought you said it was already malfunctioning ." " Yeah, but now you've made it worse !"
she said ,coldly. It's not that this last verbal exchange is anymore astonishing than all the others my colleagues and I had to endure, it's just that I'm using this example as it is the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.
I will just say once again that the food is very good value for money. You just have to be very thick skinned to enjoy it.
we had told them that we planned to eat their for the next three months and given that the place waS practicly empty you'd think they would have atleast been polite to us.

Hope this all makes sense. This is the first bad review I ever written.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank neil h
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Cromwell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thankyou for your feedback on you’re recent visit at our Old English Inn. We value all your comments, and take them on board to offer the best service and value.
We are very sorry to hear you were unhappy with the service you received in regards to Paul and Stephanie. We do receive very good feedback from our customers about these members of staff and we are very sorry you feel you were not given our normal high standard customer service experience,
We welcome any negative feedback and have shared your comments with Paul and Stephanie to improve our service in the future.

Once again we would like to thank you for your comments and do hope you will visit us in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Asked for a ground floor room and that is exactly what we had. The staff were friendly and helpful. Brilliant stay - room clean and comfortable - breakfast was excellent. Can certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: the room we had was quiet and clean and comfortable
2  Thank Pauline C
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay at our Old English Inn. We value all your comments, and take them on board to offer the best service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Old English Inns in the future.