“excellent pub / restaurant..”

The Gate Hangs High
Ranked #74 of 192 Restaurants in Banbury
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“excellent pub / restaurant..”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I put this review on the pub's hotel site - it should be here....sorry.
A warm welcome and good service. Excellent ales and wine. A comprehensive menu plus delicious extra items on the blackboard. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal. The chef is first class. The brandy snap that came with pudding was, in my wife's opinion, the best she's ever had ..and she's tried quite a few in her time!

Visited June 2014

Dorset
“Brilliant”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Freshly made unusual mixes of spices and flavours. Exceptional! Not over expensive and nice atmosphere

Visited July 2014
London
“Great food - just needs to smarten up a little to do the food and beer service”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Sat out in the beer garden enjoying the sunshine - fabulous food including a lamb burger which was delicious, great tsatziki and fresh bread bun. Nice relaxed atmosphere and we have previously eaten inside in the cosy bar. Not everywhere needs to be as pretentious as the Kingham Plough or The Wild Rabbit, and its good that this is a local Hookie pub. The menus are great and the food is of a high quality, so the restaurant, WC's and outside areas could be raised a touch to meet the same high standards.

• Visited May 2014
Nerja, Spain
“Fantastic food and service”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This was my partner and myself first visit to this pub not for my son and family who live in Hook Norton. We took the mile walk from Hookey to the pub and it was more than worth the walk. The welcome was lovely the food absolutely delicious there were 6 of us and not a moan between us. I had a smoked haddock with peppers fish pie, one of the nicest first courses I have ever had, and we eat out a lot !!!! for sweet I had an apple and sultana crumble....with the most apple and crunchiest crumble I have had anywhere ,with a separate jug of delicious custard. We all thoroughly enjoyed our visit and even enjoyed the walk back,which we needed after all the food!!!! Would certainly love to go back on my next visit. Anyone in the area give it a go sure you will not regret it.

• Visited April 2014
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“The Gate - well worth a visit!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I've been staying here on and off for 3 years as I live in Kent and often work in Hook Norton. Alistair and the team do a great job and I've always been made to feel very welcome, occupying a table with my laptop and a pint. Hooky beers are fabulous although I am a cider drinker :-) and the food had been consistently great in my time there through the week; my foodie boss brings his family in on the weekend too. The prices are very reasonable and I enjoy my stay every time. The Gate doesn't try to be the Manoir, it does good food well and the chef (Windy - top bloke) pops in to the bar for a chat after service - always a good sign as he's proud of the food he serves. The rooms are comfortable and good for a pub, again they're sensibly priced. The pub dog is in the bar and is lovely - it'll go away if you ask and even though I'm allergic to dogs I think it's a nice, homely feature. Do visit and have a drink and a meal - it's one of the very best pubs in the area and well worth it.

• Visited April 2014