“A funky name, doesn't mean its a better restaurant”
Review of Purple Mango

Purple Mango
Ranked #3 of 215 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Contemporary Indian cuisine At purple mango you will find truly unique menu with original ideas and a refreshing change from your regular curry house. Our selection of freshly prepared food includes fresh vegetables, chicken breast and tender lamb dishes. All our dishes have a distinctive taste,aroma,texture and individual flavour, guaranteed to satisfy any plate. Why not let our chef add a twist to popular dishes from around the continent using only the finest ingredients and traditional cooking experience methods and exclusive to purple mango.
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We went to the Purple Mango last night for a family members birthday. The last time I went was for a takeaway, and by some way was the worst I've ever had. Ever. Overcooked old mutton in a lamb dish that was literally like the curried soles of a shoe. It was inedible.
I did roll my eyes when we were asked to go for a sit down meal, so decided to give the benefit of the doubt. The restaurant is clean, and decor is modern, with attentive staff, but odd choice in background music.
We didn't opt for starter, although my sons wanted a kebab each.The quality was poor, and mushy. Even at their ages they were disappointed.

On to the main courses, the portions are small, and lack any depth of flavour. The meat, and not just my opinion, appeared from the cheapest cuts the chef can scrape off the bone; overcooked again and seem to not grasp marinating shouldn't dry the dish out. I went for a garlic lamb madras, which was just served as a curry gravy, with tough meat and extra garlic and chillies.

My sons shared a tandoori chicken, and I nearly sent it back. Two of the most stringiest chicken legs I've ever seen. They were left quite hungry afterwards. General thoughts around the table was similar.

The bill, was unexpectedly high too. This restaurant is in a drive-to backwater of Banbury, not the town centre (where TBH it would struggle). There were 18 of us, but were charged £32 just for 4 plates (30)of popodoms! Estimating one course and and two drinks, you are still looking at £20-25 a head. Much higher than equivalent establishments.

This restaurant as someone else has pointed out, seems to be all about charging way over the odds for food with the cheapest possible ingredients. It's a competitive world out there, and more customers are quite rightly being frugal with their money. A night out in a restaurant is a treat, and want to have the best experience possible. I can't say the Purple Mango grasps this.

I won't be returning, and wouldn't recommend to anyone with at least half a taste bud to either.

1  Thank Dan H

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We opted for a takeaway and I chose to surprise my wife who was expecting Chinese. Last time we went here it was questionable, but I decided to give it another try.
My Balti looked grey as opposed to the usual bright colour of the dish. It was watery and the content was made up of cabbage stalks more so than lamb. It was also just luke warm and priced way over the top for Banbury prices. I also asked for a single naan bread, only to discover two were included and charged for. The whole meal was way over priced.
My wifes' Byriani was also full of cabbage as the main ingredient after rice, plus it was also barely warm. We live some distance away so I did not return it, but will never, ever go back.
I stand by a previous review, if it's a curry you want, go to Voujon.

1  Thank WilliamCropredy
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Had a fantastic night, the food was excellent and service was great. Came on recommendation and will be recommending to others.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Excellent food served in a relaxed manner .New items on menu were a pleasant addition to the extensive menu.Restaurant is clean well laid out.Would have preferred more Indian based music- no big deal

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Me and my girlfriend decided to try this place for the first time after hearing good things. We ordered takeaway to collect early at around 6-630pm. The food was quickly prepared within 15mins which was surprising! On collection the the 10% discount was honoured and everything looked ok!

However, once unpacking and dishing up there was a stale grease smell not akin to a garage workshop coming from the bag. The onion bhajis had soaked through the bags they were in and my girlfriends curry had a strong underlying taste of stale grease, stronger than the flavours of the curry itself! The whole meal left us both feeling really unwell. I would certainly NOT recommends takeaway from this place and will not be returning!

3  Thank tomtombanban