“The best Sunday lunch I have ever tasted”

The Three Pigeons Inn
Ranked #13 of 203 Restaurants in Banbury
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Settled in the heart of Banbury The Three Pigeons Inn has been at the very heart of the community since it first opened its doors back in the 17th Century. It has created so many memories for customers of all ages and taken its rightful place in the hearts and minds of the many residents both in the town and in the surrounding areas. The Three Pigeons Inn has being lovingly restored to its former glory and has now achieved it's first AA Rosette. It is now a free house with guest accommodation, with our main focus being our fabulous food. We offer modern English cuisine prepared freshly using locally sourced produce by our award winning Head Chef. Throughout its vast restoration project, and since opening, the motto at The Three Pigeons Inn has always been to do everything to the best of our ability, the end result speaks for itself. We have now passed that motto on to our team, whether it's a morning cappuccino next to one of our coal burners, or a three course meal in our Winter Garden, The Three Pigeons Inn will always deliver 10 out of 10. The Three Pigeons Inn is opening its wings to invite you into areas of the building previously hidden from sight. They are now being used to create a space for you to relax and enjoy the company of friends and family. What you will find in place of the old neglected lounge is a transformation to the extraordinary. The bar will be a central feature so that our friendly staff are never too far away. Three guest bedrooms have been added along with a new Kitchen and Beer cellar. The gardens have been landscaped and a function room has been built.
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We searched tripadvisor for a recommendation as we happened to be in Banbury this lunch picking up an eBay purchase and we liked the sound of The Three Pigeons.

I could spend a hour waxing lyrical, but the short version is:

Staff - incredibly polite and couldn't do enough for us

Food - Stunning. Gob-smacking. Incredible - Sunday lunch that leaves you reeling...

Atmosphere - friendly and cosy

Overall, we're going to find many more reasons to be in Banbury so we can go back

6 stars!!!

And did I mention the food... OMG it was heaven... Topside of beef that was sent down from up high... Lamb that was crafted from taste perfection...

Skip all the rest of the menu, have a roast and a bottle of red. The large portions and quality will leave you utterly contented and yearning for another visit.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I recently organised my husband's 60th birthday party at the Three Pigeons. As there were seventeen of us I chose to book the separate Function Room which meant we could make as much noise as we wanted and not disturb anyone else's evening.

Paul Berryman was fantastic - nothing was too much trouble in the run up to the evening and I e-mailed him several times with little things I had thought of to make the evening as special as possible for my husband.

We all had to pre-order our meals and we chose two different starters and two main courses for our guests to choose from. As I had ordered a birthday cake I felt we could have this for dessert but I added a number of cheese boards to our menu so that our guests could enjoy some cheese and biscuits at the end of the meal. Fabulous, fantastic selection of cheeses!

Everyone arrived at the bar and enjoyed pre-dinner drinks and we were then shown across to the function room. My husband had put together a 70's play list of music which Paul had loaded on to their music system so we had our choice of music playing throughout the evening.

The meal was a huge success, Paul and his staff were extremely attentive and couldn't do enough for us.

We all ended up in the bar towards the end of the evening and everyone said what a very special place the Three Pigeons was.

Of course there were one or two 'incidents' with the taller guys head-butting the beams, but as soon as you walk into the pub you are aware that this is an extremely old building and take a bit of extra care when walking from one area to another.

I would like to also add that the bill was a very pleasant surprise - we paid for the entire evening and including all the pre-dinner drinks, wine during dinner, whatever anyone else wanted if they didn't want wine, four bottles of Prosecco for the birthday toast the total was £570.00 - about £33.00 per head - excellent value!!!

Thank you to everyone who was concerned with making this a birthday to remember!

1  Thank Janet H
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Had another excellent meal at The Three Pigeons. Everything contributes to the making of a most enjoyable meal out - food, menu choices, ambience, service.
Rib eye steak is brimming with flavour and the pigeon breast starter is a real treat. If we'd had room for dessert I've no doubt it would've been wonderful too.
Impressed by how a mix up with our reservation on arrival was handled quickly, efficiently and without a fuss. Mistakes do happen - it's how you deal with them that matters.
Shan't hesitate to go back (soon).

2  Thank DebAndGeoff
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hi, went with a friend to The Three Pigeons last Wednesday, our third visit. We arrived early, just after 6 to get an early meal and were surprised when we were informed they were fully booked. However, they were able to fit us in, as with others after us, and all was good. Both food and service were excellent, and very good value. Really pleased that there is a decent pub to go to in the middle of town. Thanks very much. We will return (although will probably book next time!).

2  Thank Caroline322
Reviewed October 18, 2013

A beautiful Inn situated on the main road, restoration fantastic, bedrooms comfortable and warm, although care is needed leaving the shower as the radiator is very hot. I realised too late. Lovely garden

We were staying the night having previously booked our room, entering from the car park. Happy to have arrived after a stressful day and hours of driving. We entered from the garden.

BEWARE if you are more than 5'4" tall.
The next thing I was aware of was my husban, aged 71 and who is 6' tall, lying semi-conscious on the floor with a bleeding head wound of 4cms length. We were told initially he should have read the notice. Neither of us saw it-why would we ? One small, low key notice beside the doorway on the left hand side in a picture frame. The doorway is the first hazard, the next h is a sloping floor, the third a crossbeam with a twee metal plaque (it reads 'Duck or Grouse') Part of this notice is now imprinted on my husbands head for life. Why when you have a natural hazard like a crossbeam about 5'6" from the floor do you put a metal plaque on it ?

It was hard to find anyone around although it was 6.30 in the evening. We were offered a damp J-cloth to stop the bleeding, but eventually, after a fuss were brought antiseptic wipes. Oh yes - and a cup of tea. An accident report was taken- although not followed through later, and my husband was asked if he needed an ambulance.

After a rest he ate his dinner and grew more cheerful after a few drinks as one does; On talking to local people we realised that there had been many similar accidents. But for us -no follow up, no-one asked how he was in the morning and there was general indifference. He will have a large permanent scar there. I don't think thats good enough.. I think that this is a health and safety Issue that needs to be addressed before anything more serious happens.

I was also surprised that not even a free drink, or any reduction was made.

The food was indifferent, the leek and potato soup was reasonable, the calve's liver too thick and mine was spongy with membranes in it. The accompanying gravy was good. chips were cold and flabby. The ice-creams were delicious. Portions were large and the price is good. The breakfast was not good, sorry.

I think they have serious issues they need to address, the main one being Customer Care. Perhaps in other circumstances I would have enjoyed my stay much more.

The service in the restaurant was good, but overall I have to rate it poor. A man with a sore head is not very romantic.