“Highly recommended”

The Three Pigeons Inn
Ranked #13 of 193 Restaurants in Banbury
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Settled in the heart of Banbury The Three Pigeons Inn has been at the very heart of the community since it first opened its doors back in the 17th Century. It has created so many memories for customers of all ages and taken its rightful place in the hearts and minds of the many residents both in the town and in the surrounding areas. The Three Pigeons Inn has being lovingly restored to its former glory and has now achieved it's first AA Rosette. It is now a free house with guest accommodation, with our main focus being our fabulous food. We offer modern English cuisine prepared freshly using locally sourced produce by our award winning Head Chef. Throughout its vast restoration project, and since opening, the motto at The Three Pigeons Inn has always been to do everything to the best of our ability, the end result speaks for itself. We have now passed that motto on to our team, whether it's a morning cappuccino next to one of our coal burners, or a three course meal in our Winter Garden, The Three Pigeons Inn will always deliver 10 out of 10. The Three Pigeons Inn is opening its wings to invite you into areas of the building previously hidden from sight. They are now being used to create a space for you to relax and enjoy the company of friends and family. What you will find in place of the old neglected lounge is a transformation to the extraordinary. The bar will be a central feature so that our friendly staff are never too far away. Three guest bedrooms have been added along with a new Kitchen and Beer cellar. The gardens have been landscaped and a function room has been built.
Brackley, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Had another excellent meal at The Three Pigeons. Everything contributes to the making of a most enjoyable meal out - food, menu choices, ambience, service.
Rib eye steak is brimming with flavour and the pigeon breast starter is a real treat. If we'd had room for dessert I've no doubt it would've been wonderful too.
Impressed by how a mix up with our reservation on arrival was handled quickly, efficiently and without a fuss. Mistakes do happen - it's how you deal with them that matters.
Shan't hesitate to go back (soon).

2 Thank DebAndGeoff

Banbury
“Lovely Meal and service”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hi, went with a friend to The Three Pigeons last Wednesday, our third visit. We arrived early, just after 6 to get an early meal and were surprised when we were informed they were fully booked. However, they were able to fit us in, as with others after us, and all was good. Both food and service were excellent, and very good value. Really pleased that there is a decent pub to go to in the middle of town. Thanks very much. We will return (although will probably book next time!).

2 Thank Caroline322
london
“Mixed feelings. Grouse, I guess.”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

A beautiful Inn situated on the main road, restoration fantastic, bedrooms comfortable and warm, although care is needed leaving the shower as the radiator is very hot. I realised too late. Lovely garden

We were staying the night having previously booked our room, entering from the car park. Happy to have arrived after a stressful day and hours of driving. We entered from the garden.

BEWARE if you are more than 5'4" tall.
The next thing I was aware of was my husban, aged 71 and who is 6' tall, lying semi-conscious on the floor with a bleeding head wound of 4cms length. We were told initially he should have read the notice. Neither of us saw it-why would we ? One small, low key notice beside the doorway on the left hand side in a picture frame. The doorway is the first hazard, the next h is a sloping floor, the third a crossbeam with a twee metal plaque (it reads 'Duck or Grouse') Part of this notice is now imprinted on my husbands head for life. Why when you have a natural hazard like a crossbeam about 5'6" from the floor do you put a metal plaque on it ?

It was hard to find anyone around although it was 6.30 in the evening. We were offered a damp J-cloth to stop the bleeding, but eventually, after a fuss were brought antiseptic wipes. Oh yes - and a cup of tea. An accident report was taken- although not followed through later, and my husband was asked if he needed an ambulance.

After a rest he ate his dinner and grew more cheerful after a few drinks as one does; On talking to local people we realised that there had been many similar accidents. But for us -no follow up, no-one asked how he was in the morning and there was general indifference. He will have a large permanent scar there. I don't think thats good enough.. I think that this is a health and safety Issue that needs to be addressed before anything more serious happens.

I was also surprised that not even a free drink, or any reduction was made.

The food was indifferent, the leek and potato soup was reasonable, the calve's liver too thick and mine was spongy with membranes in it. The accompanying gravy was good. chips were cold and flabby. The ice-creams were delicious. Portions were large and the price is good. The breakfast was not good, sorry.

I think they have serious issues they need to address, the main one being Customer Care. Perhaps in other circumstances I would have enjoyed my stay much more.

The service in the restaurant was good, but overall I have to rate it poor. A man with a sore head is not very romantic.

Chipping Norton, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unexpected delight”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We've now had lunch in The Three Pigeons twice, and we've been very impressed. The food has been excellent (and very reasonably priced), the service friendly and helpful, and the building itslef an unexpected delight. The position of the inn isn't the most promising - on a busy junction - but once you're inside, the traffic noise disappears, and the beautifully renovated interior glows with light.

We shall definitely be returning.

1 Thank Peter_J_King
“Fantastic!!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Wednesday evening my partner and I made a last minute booking at The Three Pigeons for 7:30pm and on arrival were pleasantly surprised to find the restaurant quite full for a wednesday evening!
The atmosphere was lovely and the staff happy and welcoming! The bar-maid went out of her way to seat us to our table after we asked if it was okay for us to move on through after a pre-drink and she was more than happy to take us through herself!
Our table was set under the fire-place (very romantic!)
I ordered the duo of salmon to start (al a carte) and my partner warm bacon and Parma ham salad (price fix) both were exquisite! The portions were the perfect size as we wanted desserts later! We also shared the home made bread board which was delicious!
My main course was the lamb shoulder which was to die for! I've never had such beautifully cooked lamb! My partner loved his gammon steak with thrice cooked chips! The presentation of everything so far was also fabulous!
For dessert I had the strawberry and white chocolate cheesecake which was both a generous and filling portion! A gorgeous dessert to top off my wonderful meal and my partner enjoyed the strawberry sundae.
What was lovely about the evening was how attentive the staff were!
You wouldn't have thought they had an almost full restaurant with how spot on everything was!
Before we left we were greeted by not only the manager but the owner himself who was happy and interested in how our evening had gone! Fantastic!!
We left it too long before we ate here! But I can't wait to return again SOON for their new menu!
I'll be strongly recommending to everyone!
The Three Pigeons have done Oxfordshire proud!
Thank you for the wonderful dining experience! 5 stars!