“Thoroughly enjoyable”

The Three Pigeons Inn
Ranked #13 of 193 Restaurants in Banbury
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Settled in the heart of Banbury The Three Pigeons Inn has been at the very heart of the community since it first opened its doors back in the 17th Century. It has created so many memories for customers of all ages and taken its rightful place in the hearts and minds of the many residents both in the town and in the surrounding areas. The Three Pigeons Inn has being lovingly restored to its former glory and has now achieved it's first AA Rosette. It is now a free house with guest accommodation, with our main focus being our fabulous food. We offer modern English cuisine prepared freshly using locally sourced produce by our award winning Head Chef. Throughout its vast restoration project, and since opening, the motto at The Three Pigeons Inn has always been to do everything to the best of our ability, the end result speaks for itself. We have now passed that motto on to our team, whether it's a morning cappuccino next to one of our coal burners, or a three course meal in our Winter Garden, The Three Pigeons Inn will always deliver 10 out of 10. The Three Pigeons Inn is opening its wings to invite you into areas of the building previously hidden from sight. They are now being used to create a space for you to relax and enjoy the company of friends and family. What you will find in place of the old neglected lounge is a transformation to the extraordinary. The bar will be a central feature so that our friendly staff are never too far away. Three guest bedrooms have been added along with a new Kitchen and Beer cellar. The gardens have been landscaped and a function room has been built.
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

A friend of ours recently took us to The Three Pigeons for lunch and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

The decor is really smart and the atmosphere very relaxed with great service. Although we enjoyed the food, unfortunately the home-made burgers were over cooked and dry however, it would not put us off from returning again in the future.

• Visited March 2013
PSB10, General Manager at The Three Pigeons Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments, I am pleased you had a thoroughly enjoyable night. We always thrive to offer a welcoming and relaxed environment. The staff will be thrilled to hear your feedback!

With regards to your homemade burgers I have spoken with the head chef who has addressed your comments.

If you are a fan of burgers you will be pleased to know that we have just launched our new spring menu which features an all new Fresh Spring Lamb Burger, served with mint mayonnaise and our twice cooked chips, The lamb is sourced from our local farm shop, we have already been told by several customers its ‘out of this world.’

I hope you visit us again soon!

“Just beautiful”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have been looking forward to visiting the three pigeons after many recommendations.
I finally get the chance to go last night and have a meal with some friends. We were all blown away with not only the food, but the efficient service from the young team at the pigeons. Although not cheap the meal was amazing...I guess you get what you pay for! We've already booked a table again for next month. Finally a decent place in banbury!

Dear Guest

Thank you for the very kind comments, I have shown all the staff your feedback, and they are all very proud...and they all look forward to seeing you again next month.

“Disappointed...”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Having visited for lunch previously and been impressed, we decided to return with a group of friends for dinner to celebrate a birthday. The building has been beautifully restored and the decor is of a very high standard, however we were somewhat disappointed with the food and service provided on this occasion. I ordered the lamb which was full of fat (yes I appreciate that lamb is a fatty meat) but I don't expect two thirds of the dish to be fat and definitely not worth the £18.50 price, the crumble desserts were cold in the middle and the cheeseboard was the real shocker, the kitchen had run out of fresh bread (which I understand as it is freshly baked) and we were asked if we would like crackers instead which wasn't too much of an issue but then to be served the cheeseboard with a couple of crackers and RYVITA was an insult and again the price of £8.50 for this was not justified. The coffees were slow to be served and they had run out of crockery and we had to ask for our table to be cleared, the staff were friendly but seemed inexperienced, to top the evening off as we left the restaurant (having spent £300) the owner didn't' even acknowledge us let alone wish us good night. Very disappointed as we had high hopes for The Three Pigeons.

Visited March 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments, and I am sorry that your food was not up to our usual high standards on this returned visit. I have passed your comment on to the team so they can improve in the areas highlighted. With regards to the fatty meat, we have since changed supplier, and now use a local farm shop that supplies all of our meat and cheese.

Our new spring menu which launched yesterday now features cheese only produced in Oxfordshire and Warwickshire – so you must come and try our new cheese board as I am sure you will agree that it has improved. The majority of the meat from the farm shop is reared on their Warwickshire farm, and the quality is second to none.

I hope you come and sample the new menu to see the improvements.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Three cheers for the three pigeons”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a two night break with friends at the three pigeons the dovecote room was lovely, large with a very comfy bed we had a meal Friday evening and two breakfasts all of which were superb, we certainly hope to return.

Dear Guest,

The team and I thoroughly enjoyed you staying with us. I am pleased you liked everything about your stay. All the staff at The Three Pigeons have worked very hard to make this a special Inn to visit, and it’s very rewarding when we receive feed back such as yours.
We hope to see you again soon, and thank you again for the kind words.

Banbury, United Kingdom
“At last, a gastro pub in Banbury”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I have watched The Three Pigeons undergoing a massive refurb and wondered how the owner would ever justify the cost. Booked a table for 2 and set foot inside this beautiful old pub. The interior is superb. Plenty of character with low ceilings and exposed beams. Welcoming front of house. Tables are laid out nicely and not packed in. All tables reserved and the atmosphere was excellent.
Eclectic and thoughtful wine list. Chose the Volnay 2002 (20th wedding anniversary!). Ordered scallops followed by fillet steak. Food beautifully presented with the right time between courses. Despite the restaurant being full, service flowed.
Frankly couldn't fault it. Not fine dining but very close.
I will be eating here many times in the future

PSB10, General Manager at The Three Pigeons Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I am so pleased to read your comments; and thank you for leaving such a nice review. The team have worked incredibly hard to make The Three Pigeons Inn a special place in Banbury, and I am pleased that you enjoyed it. I hope to see you again soon; you must come and sample our new menu!