“dog friendly, excellent value food and friendly staff”
Review of Ye Olde Reindeer

Ye Olde Reindeer
Reserve with OpenTable
Ye Olde Reindeer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 207 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ye Olde Reine Deer Inn is the oldest public house in Banbury. Situated halfway down Parsons Street, in the town centre no visit to Banbury is complete without a visit to Ye Olde Reine Deer. A Hook Norton Brewery pub ensures the offering of mainstay Hooky beers and a seasonal guest, its even the breweries 'flagship' pub. The pub itself is over 400 years old and steeped in history and local folk law. The Globe room a hidden gem to the rear of the property used to be a common room for travelling gentry and is still clad in the original oak panelling, an incredible find and talking point. We serve food 12pm-3pm, 6pm-9pm Monday-Saturday and 2pm-3pm on Sunday. Ye Olde Reine Deer Inn has always had an impeccable reputation for great pub food and extremely well kept ale. We always aim to meet and exceed these very high standards.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

With two weeks to spend in Banbury on my annual canal travels with my faithful hound, Ye Olde Reine Deer quickly became my pub of choice. The value for money food is amazing. Well cooked and presented, the portions on most occasions were larger than my capacity. I was very quickly accepted as a regular and after my second or third visit had seldom to name my choice of ale. Of interest also are the fruit wines served from flagons above the gantry. My favourite was "Dark beer with Raisins" (Yes a wine). With food available until 9pm (except Sundays) it is a pleasure to have a well prepared salad or Ploughman's when the heat of the day has subsided. My dog was also very comfortable with her welcome and soon identified a favourite "kennel" under one of the benches.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I 'm an out of towner working in Banbury and when I've been for after work drinks we always start at the Reindeer and I'm always delighted because Hook Norton beer is very acceptable and the beer offerings here are spot on. You never know - I may one day even try that skittly thing they do out in the back. Nice and relaxed atmosphere and very good beer.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Having being a regular visitor to the Reindeer Inn its nice to see the improvements that have taken place over the last 6 months. I visit the Inn as its good wholesome food, freshly cooked and always tastes fantastic!! And I'm not a drinker but they have a good selection of traditional ales and beers. My favourite is the handmade fish fingers which are a definite one to try. I take my son who's 6 in for meals as the new menu now caters for children, a 2 course for £4.95 a dinner and pudding which my son loves!!! We always feel welcome and there's always a friendly atmosphere!!! Would like to pat the new management on their back as its very hard to find quality food at affordable prices in Banbury!!! So if any one is about in the Banbury area I would recommend you pop in and sample the food and the great hospitality!!!

3  Thank Shellog
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Having been a regular at Ye Olde Reindeer since moving to Banbury in 2006 (and having been there for lunch on working visits prior to that from 2003 - 2006)), it's been sad to see the unnecessary changes that have taken place this year since the old landlord, Mark, left.

It had always beena pub of great family atmosphere - very much the 'Cheers' philosophy of being amongst friends. The staff knew your name and were genuine, helpful, warm and friendly.

When Mark took over from Tony and Dot we were glad to see he only improved the things that needed improving - a little subtle refurbishment and making the food wonderful, fresh, good quality food. No other changes were required.

This year, since Mark left and someone else took over the staff now have to wear uniforms (when they've never worn them in the 10 years I've been visiting, it wasn't that sort of pub) which takes away the family welcome feel. The food quality has gone downhill as it's clearly gone back to frozen packet food, it's gone to cheap sachet sauces instead of bottled sauces, the service has gone downhill too as we've had to wait over half an hour for food on our last 3 visits, and the staff are clearly not happy.

It's disappointing given that, as former regulars, my husband and I know how much good Mark did to the place without loosing the essence of what the Reindeer is - a family, welcoming, happy atmosphere pub. That's why we chose to go there above all other places (we didn't even try the Auctioneer next door, even when people told us it was good, because we felt we'd be 'cheating' on our olde favourite). Sadly though, although we gave it a couple of chances to improve under the new owners, the 3 strike rule applies so we found an alternative where the atmosphere and quality is what we used to get at Ye Olde Reindeer. We're even prepared to pay a little more to get it. (not everyone is price driven. Good quality food and atmosphere attracts good quality, loyal customers).

If you're the owner and reading this - please take this as constructive criticism from previously very loyal customers. Listen to what we want in a local, and put back what Tony, Dot and Mark had created. After all, it's what we the customers loved about Ye Olde Reindeer, and I'm sure you need us regulars to survive rather than just rely on the tourist trade.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Had Saturday lunch here having walked passed several other pubs by in Banbury after being put off by them being empty and generally dull looking. Ye Old Reindeer looked to have some atmosphere with people eating and drinking and looking happy.
Excellent selection of drinks. Food (burger and a ploughmans) was lovely a fresh - crispy salad, homemade coleslaw, homemade burger, homecooked ham, fresh crusty bread. All tasty and fresh on a very hot day. Also good value for money - decent portions at affordable prices. We will be going there again when we next have occasion to be in Banbury :-)

1  Thank Sleepysheepy19