“Great Food”

The Saye and Sele Arms
Ranked #19 of 193 Restaurants in Banbury
Cuisines: British, Pub, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: I want to write a review but your procedure is messing me about and putting me off.
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Food”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Danny and Liz run a wonderful little pub with good food at a fair price. His specialty is his homemade savory (chicken & mushroom; lamb; steak & kidney etc) pies. England is rife with pubs who tout "home made" this or that when the truth is something else. But Danny's pies are absolutely homemade and a delight. Having said that, the rest of the menu is so good I order something else (especially specials that are seasonal) most the time. When he has rack of lamb go for it. Also an excellent selection of real ales and other bears and lagers. Just a few yards from sublime, moated Broughton Castle which is open Wednesdays and Sundays May - September. In fact Lord Baron Saye and Sele owns the pub! The grounds are always open and you can visit the village churck on the grounds. I recommend this pub and food to anyone.

• Visited December 2013

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Worse Pub in the area”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

What an awful pub. Unless you are a local, don't even dare go in. Service was terrible, waiting and waiting to be served a drink. Locals getting served first all the time. Made to feel a right outsider.
Food looked awful as well.
After 20 mins of waiting we left, the manager asked why and we explained and he said oh well, we have plenty of customers. Told him to stick his drinks where the sun does not shine.

DO NOT VISIT

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Stephen M
Banbury, United Kingdom
“St Davids Day”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Another superb evening at the Saye & Sele, excellent food (Welsh flavour of course which included leeks and lamb) and served by Danny and Liz and staff who could not do enough for you
All the tables were decorated with daffodils which added to the ambiance and theme
The entertainment was supplied by Pete Watkins (Oxfordshires Tom Jones) and a good old sing-a -long was had by all
The Saye & Sele has built up a reputation for staging regular events and to celebrate special occasions with top class menu's and entertainment to include:-
SUNDAY 30th March Mothering Sunday
By popular demand they are having another Starters & Pudds Galore evening, will look forward to that

OTHER EVENTS FOR 2014. I have looked at their website
Italian Dining
Retro Dining Week Spring 2014
Hot & Cold Seafood Special
Curry Dinners
Meet The Brewer Night,
not forgetting the monthly family fun quiz with special menu
I would have no hesitation in recommending the Saye & Sele, it has everything you could wish for to make it a special evening out

• Visited March 2014
oxford
“Burns Night”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Had a fantastic evening at the Saye and Sele last saturday. The food and service were brilliant andd Danny and his wife and the staff could not do enough for you. The entertainment was excellent with lots of scottish songs and then we had some cockney ones as well.

Would def recoomend

• Visited January 2014
Banbury, Oxford
“Fantastic food and lovely staff...great anniversary thank you!”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We went to the Saye and Sele last weekend for our second wedding anniversary. I was slightly apprehensive as we'd only been once before and that was on a lunch time when my now husband proposed.
From the moment we walked in we were welcomed by the lovely staff. They didn't have a wine I would normally choose, however spent time letting me try different ones and recommending until I found one which I liked.
We sat for a while with our drinks, browsing the menu. We didn't feel pressured to sit and order at our table straight away.
There was plenty of variety and choice on the menu. I had bruschetta to start, pork escalopes with apple mash for main and a beautiful white and dark chocolate dessert. I honestly can say it was one of the best meals I've ever had! The portions were generous too.
We sat and had a drink after and the owners both made an effort to chat even though they were clearly busy.
Overall, I can say we will definately be going back. We felt so welcome and the meal wa delicious!
Thank you for making our anniversary special!

• Visited November 2013