“Mercure Whaterly Hall in Banbury - fully satisfied”

Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Attard, Malta
“Mercure Whaterly Hall in Banbury - fully satisfied”
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Fully satisfied with our visit to this hotel! Beautiful oldy worldy hotel right next to Banbury Cross!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Glad you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Whately Hall Hotel in Banbury. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
King regards
John Armstrong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
CANNOCK
Reviewed December 4, 2010

The WHATELY HALL i found to be a very plesant ,clean ,and very well looked after , the staff work hard , the front of house are always willing to help with a very proffesional approch being curtious ,helpfull and always on hand to answer all queries. the old oak panels are all round and give a warm welcome , the bar has just had a full refurb very nice to the eye , the open fires are fantastic and are a very welcome sight on cold evenings, The two resturants are very well laid out and the food is good and very well presented,The rooms are very clean and warm with on suit beds are comfortable and of good size , so all in all i found my stay a very good experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Whately Hall Hotel in Banbury. I will pass your comments onto my staff and we look forward to your next visit.
Exeter
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This Hotel has a great feel..
Friendly reception, cannot do more for you and always with a smile
Good food, great breakfast buffet
Rooms = Good size\quality & clean and tidy

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Thank you for your kind words and I will pass your comments onto my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Whately Hall Hotel Banbury in the near future.
Reviewed November 11, 2010

From the moment I walked in the service and help was excellent, the room I was given was spacious and elegant. I was very happy and would come here again if ever in Banbury.

• Stayed November 2010
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Thank you for posting your thoughts, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Whately Hall Hotel, Banbury.
Kind Regards
Exeter
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at Whatley Hall last night and had a very comfortable evening. The service was exceptional, especially from Niti Puri who welcomed me with a smile and ensured I had a lovely stay throughout. The room was very large and spacious, tastefully furnished and extremely comfortable. I stay in many hotels as a result of my occupation; I will look forward to returning to Whatley Hall.

1 Thank PK68
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Whately Hall Hotel, Banbury. I have passed on your kind comments to Niti Puri and we look forward to your next visit.
Kind
regards
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I got a room at Whately Hall at a bargain rate through laterooms.com. My room was OK bit tired, very stuffy (why not keep radiators on low and let guests decide how warm they want to be rather than suffocate us on arrival?) and the bed lumpy, if I'd paid more I'd have been a bit aggrieved. When the people in the room next door arrived I realised how thin the walls were and eventually decided to call reception and see if I could be moved as I didn't want to hear everything they had to say. The receptionist was very helpful, showed me alternatives and eventually upgraded me. So far, so good. Great service.
At 2am the fire alarm went off.
Along with other guests I made my way to the assembly point. Well, actually that's at the back of a car park which isn't lit, so none of us felt brave enough to go there so we hung around by the side of the building waiting for A) the fire brigade to show up and B) a member of staff to check we were all there (or whatever it is they have to do). Nothing. After 20 minutes the alarms went off. Some went back inside, despite not having been told by a member of staff (or the Fire Brigade) that it was safe to do so.
Some of us went to reception to seek reassurance and discovered a harrassed night porter who told us it was someone smoking in their room that had triggered the alarm. Thanks guys.
The Fire Brigade didn't bother to turn up, happy to take the word of the porter that it wasn't a fire. apparently they get lots of false alarms....
Hardly reassured we did go back to our rooms at 3am, only for the alarm to go off a second time. Still no fire brigade. Some guests suggested the porter might like to call in reinforcements from, say, the duty manager. Apparently he'd tried this and he/she wasn't picking up their phone. Another guest got the number and tried, and it went to voicemail. We finally made it back to bed around 3.30am but it was not easy to sleep thinking that the alarm was about to go off again at any minute.
Although we were all OK and no one burned to a crisp it was a very stressful experience and I would think twice about staying at a hotel where the safety of guests is left to 1 porter who couldn't be in several places at once and where there is an insufficient back up plan to manage a crisis situation. As for the attitude of the Fire Brigade, well as my kids would say it sucks.

1 Thank DianaCaldwell
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Thank you for your feedback and I have personally looked into this matter as it was of grave concern to me the seriousness of the issue and how it was dealt with. I would very much like to discuss the matter with you in person and would appreciate if you could send me your contact details.