“A bit 'vanilla'”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Witney, United Kingdom
“A bit 'vanilla'”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We had a voucher to eat in the restaurant so otherwise probably wouldn’t have chosen to have gone here.

To be honest, the food was okay. It was tasty and there were some nice things to choose from on the menu. We had good service. We don’t have anything bad to say about the place (although maybe it’s in need of a bit of love and attention in some places) but then again I wouldn’t rave about this place and say it was amazing either. It is okay.

It’s a shame that there weren’t any other people eating in the restaurant when we were there at lunchtime. So there wasn’t really any atmosphere and we were a little forgotten at times.

I wouldn’t go out of my way to eat here. I could’ve lived without going to the restaurant. However if I ever had the pleasure of staying in the hotel I’m sure I wouldn’t have a bad meal here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nj_jackson
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for posting your comments following your dining expereince here. I am happy to read that your meal was satisfactory and you had good service. I note your comments regarding the hotel needing some love and attention and we are on a constant path of improvement and investement.

Once again thank you very much for your comments.

Michael Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Hastings
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had a lovely stay last Thursday staying in a family room at the rear of the hotel. This provided a very peaceful nights sleep in a very quiet large room.

Often travelling as a famly room means staying in a standard double with a z-bed for our son, but here we were pleasantly surprised by two seperate rooms with a double sofa bed for our son and very large double room for us seperated by a hall and with the bonus of two seperate bathrooms.

We were visiting family who were able to join us for a drink in the bar at the end of the evning which had a seperate snug area with sofas where the children were able to play without disturbing other guests.

Breakfast was excellent with great service and a huge selection, with complimentary breakfast for our son.

Location in the centre of Banbury was excellent. Free parking at the rear of the hotel was also a bonus, though a very narrow archway to reach this.

One thing we would note on the room was it was not actually possible to view the television when the cabinet doors were open! Therefore, I had to take the TV out and reconnect it and move my bedside table to the end of the bed to place it on!

Reception staff were also very pleasant and accommodating.

We will be back to visit again and have recommended to other relatives when visiting family who have recently brought property nearby.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for your 5/5 rating following your stay here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much from your accommodation, your food and our location. I am sorry to read of your problem with the TV, the ones in the cabinet are usually on a slding tray that pulls out and can then be angled. I will certainly have look at this to see if the tray is broken.

Once again many thanks and I look forward to being able to welcome you back for another great stay.

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a lovely twin room overlooking the gardens in the garden annexe which was ideal for our overnight stay. James looked after us superbly in the restaurant and made our stay all the more enjoyable. No complaints but water was not very warm. Would revisit again. Thanks

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments following your stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your accommodation and very pleased that James looked after you so well. I am very sorry for any inconvienicen with the hot water I shall certainly have a look at this with my engineer.

Once again many thanks and I look forward to being able to welcome you again to our hotel.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

This came up at cheaper than the local premier inn. ( Easter) but has nice gardens / more character/ full hotel services.

It's also in Central Banbury with car parking.

Pleasant room in comparison to other like priced accommodation. It's rated 3*
The only thing to be aware of is that the front part of the hotel is old stone, wood paneling whereas the back looks more like a 1970s tower block.
It's a busy commercial hotel so don't expect anything personal but I paid £110 for two nights over Easter which I thought was really good value. If I wanted breakfast I think they charge £17 a head which I felt was pricey but there's plenty of eating places nearby.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments following your stay and I am so glad that you found us such good value. I am sorry to read that you did not find us personable, our good customer service is something that we pride ourselves on offering. Just to let you know breakfast is £15 per person but we do advertise a special offer on Reception at the moment of £10 for our all you can eat buffet breakfast.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post your comments and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Bedforshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

We had a nice couple of nights at this hotel, we were in the old part looking out the front of the hotel. It was definitely an average three star, and the rooms are quite tired and could do with redecorating and updating. The first room we were offered had stained bathroom floor was we had seen in pictures on here, which I would have thought they would have sorted out by now. They changed our room, without hesitation. The room was fine, but really warm, although there was a small fan in the room, you couldn't open the windows, so there was no fresh air in the room and very hot. Another point for those offered front rooms, although not the hotels fault, I think Banbury must have the most supped up ford fiestas in the country going up and down the high street constantly, average cars were sounded out, but these and motorbikes can drive you mad all night long.
The breakfasts were good, however when we stayed they didn't have any granola or museli on offer.
All in all an average hotel.

Dear Guest

Thank you posting your comments folloowing your stay with us. I am glad that overall you had a good stay, naturally I am sorry that you had the inconvienience of moving rooms and that the room was too warm. Also I apologise for the lack of museli for breakfast, this certainly is not the norm and I will be sure to speak with our Head Chef regarding this, but I am happy to read that you enjoyed the rest of your breakfast.

Once again many thanks,

Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

This is a great base for exploring England's countryside. Within forty-five minutes you can drive to the Cadbury factory in Birmingham, to Oxford or to the Cotswolds. The hotel has an old wing that is a rambling stone inn, with everything you would expect from a 16th century house -- creaking floorboards and all. There's a modern wing in the back that has the biggest hotel bathrooms I've seen in England and all the modern conveniences. The hotel has a beautiful croquet lawn that's perfect for a quiet afternoon reading or just looking at the tulips and the ancient yew trees. The staff is helpful and gave excellent dining advice. If you don't like this place, what are you coming to England for?

Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review following you stay here with us at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed not only your accommodation but also our beautiful grounds and that the staff were so helpful.

Once again many thanks and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again to our hotel in the future.

Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Hotel is easy to find right next to Banbury Cross. The car park entrance is through a very narrow archway so watch your wing mirrors!. The Hotel is a C17th Coaching Inn but has a 1970s bolt on box at the back. If you like wobbly floors, stone window mullions and an old English feel, stay in the main building. Our room was large and had all the usual amenities, with the added bonus of a separate lounge! Apparently it is the only one! It was clean and the bed soft and comfortable.
We had a 3 course meal in the restaurant as part of our package which was well cooked and beautifully presented given the price (£20.00). Our waitress (Sara) was attentive, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was typical Mercure with everything you would expect, well laid out and presented. Again the staff were polite, cheerful and very helpful.
On check out, the receptionist discovered I love history and old buildings and launched into an interesting, descriptive and informative narrative about the Inn and its colourful history! A very enthusiastic presentation and far more than I would have expected a receptionist to know!! She even gave us a written version for us to take away. I wont spoil it, but this is a fabulous place to stay if you like your history and the odd ghostly tale!!!

We would have no hesitation in staying here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your 5/5 rating following your recent stay here at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the charachter of the hotel and your bedroom was comfortable.

Thank you for your comments regarding Sara I will make sure she gets to see them. I will also pas son your comments to the reception team for giving you an enthusiastic history of the hotel, it is someting we are very proud of and I am very proud of the team that I have working here.

Once again many thanks for your lovely review and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.