“weekend break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Staff excellent. Hotel could use a lick of paint but didn't spoil anything. Beautiful old building and gardens. Worth an upgrade to a superior room with a massive bed and view of the gardens. Fantastic breakfast best service I've ever had. Good location near restaurants and shops.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evwalton
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review, especially about the staff we have here, thank you very much. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and your breakfast. I do hope you will choose to come and stay with us again and hopefully you will see an improvement in the decoration of the hotel.

Once again many thanks

Michael Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

If like me you make the mistake of thinking that the Mercure brand means this will be a reasonably nice hotel then you'll need to think again. In short, this hotel is in desperate need of a refurbishment. Some may say it has character (including Mercure I would assume) but I would say it needs money spending on it.
The room was small, the en suite bathroom was tiny and the décor was very tatty and outdated throughout.
The shower can be considered amazing as long as you are happy with a number of tiny and frankly pathetic sprays that go in all directions except on the main target of a shower i.e. the individual stood under it.
The cost of the room was expensive especially considering the above and I would surmise that Mercure are taking full advantage of the fact that there are very few hotels in Banbury when setting the room rates.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I was very disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. I understand your feedback regarding refurbishment, please note that half our bedrooms already refurbished and there is another refurbishment plan in place for 2014. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Regarding bedroom prices, we constantly analyse the market like other hotels in the area; naturally in case the demand is high the rates can be higher than in low demanding periods. I hope you will give us another chance at your next visit in Banbury.

Rooms Division Manager

Travelers are raving about these Banbury hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend in February. I called reception to make the booking and was told confirmation would be sent. Still hadn't relieved confirmation so called and asked for it again - 3 calls later I finally got confirmation. I spoke to a lady called Olivia who sent this confirmation and was very helpful - we upgraded our room and she provided the information we requested - a shame we had to request it so many times. We booked for dinner for the Saturday only to be told on arrival they were not serving food on the Saturday due to a function so their guests had to eat elsewhere which I felt a little odd? My husband and I went for breakfast and I had finished a bit before him and my plate was whisked away whilst he was still eating which I find very rude. The bedroom was very spacious and very clean! Credit to the housekeepers!! Overall an ok stay but staff overall could be a lot more helpful and welcoming

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trippyaddy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback after your stay at Mercure Whately Hall in Banbury. I am happy to read that your overall stay was good, on the other hand I do apologies for mistakes during your breakfast. Please rest assured that the necessary actions are already in place to avoid similar complaints. I appreciate your kind comments on cleanliness. I hope we can welcome you back in our hotel to provide a genuine hassle-free experience.

Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I loved this hotel - beautiful old building with the creaky floorboards and bags of character. The staff were helpful and efficient throughout the hotel and dinner and breakfast were great. I stayed overnight for business and was happy.

Room Tip: No lift but then I enjoyed the creaky staircase!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for kind comments and I really appreciate your high scores. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback especially on hotel staff. I am sure your comments will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed the traditional character of the hotel.
Thank you for your booking and look forward to welcoming you again.
Earls Barton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Hotel Booked because it had parking. Unfortunately there needs to be something mentioned about the parking!

1.) If you own a large car, then you will struggle to park due to width limitations - this issue is not mentioned on any sites including the hotel website - so beware!

2.) Had to pay for own parking although not excessive £3.50 long stay Saturday and £1.00 all day Sunday the hotel could have refunded as they are fully aware of the issue. The gentleman on reception when we arrived did not have a clue where to park, luckily a local man came to our rescue.

Shower facilities in our room 141 for Saturday night was pathetic there is no water pressure so if you like a drip shower then this is for you.

Please ensure you prepay for breakfast which was very good will save you a fiver a head of the walk up price.

Finally would I stay here again - NO, but I would go back for breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms 141 or 142 are on the top floor they are a very long way from reception and the lift is not ve...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JTH1709
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. I was disappointed to read that a parking issue caused a sorrowful bad experience during your stay. Thank you for pointing out the water pressure problem as well.
Please allow me to express my sincerest apoligies and rest assured that we have taken a good note of your comments as they offer us a valuable opportunity to monitor and continually improve our facilities and services.
Regarding your room tip I agree these bedrooms are far from reception but I have to add that room 142 is one of our largest suite with a spacious lounge area and with a breathtaking view overlooking to our beautifully manicured garden. I appreciate your kind comments on our breakfast and truly hope you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back in our Mercure Whatley Hall Hotel.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for two night. The first night was fine and breakfast was a buffet was good but the second night was terrible. There was a party on and it was like it was in our room.

The music went on after midnight filled by talking/shouting for another hour.

Why were we placed in a room when they had a party?

Ask in the future.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gks24
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community of TripAdvisor readers as well. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our traditional full English breakfast. In regards to the noise from the birthday party we do our best to allocate party guests close to the event, however at full occupancy periods this is not always possible due to specific room type bookings and requests. Nevertheless please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused and I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back.