“Central Banbury”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Banbury
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
“Central Banbury”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Excellent location within easy walking of town centre and shops. Executive Room was well decorated, clean and warm. Lighting a little dim, could do with improving and lacked a fridge. Staff very helpful. Breakfast very good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review following your recent stay with us here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel. It is always great to read such comments. I note your thoughts on the lighting and will see what we can do about this.

Once again many thanks and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Michael Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the old part but I hope the newer part is better. Our bedroom was good although a little shabby. No safe was a bit of a problem. Plenty of storage space.
Bathroom was small and very shabby. Most floor tiles were cracked, the taps seemed to spit air and water at first and definitely need updating. The toilet needed to be pumped to flush. The towel rail had a warning that it can be very hot, oh how I wish, it was freezing cold which meant the bathroom was also cold. Only one big towel and one small one for two of us!
The corridors had cheap worn carpet.
It is a bit up and down stairs if you come in from the car park so you need to be fit enough to haul your suitcases. The car park has a barrier and you need a code from reception to get out, or, you can simply press the button on the opposite side!
Having said all that the staff were excellent and free wifi worked well.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
whately, General Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us, whilst we do not have safes in any of our rooms we are always happy to store any valuables in our main safe at reception. I note your comments about the bathroom facilities and will get these addressed by our engineer. For towels there is a spare set located in the wardrobe of each room and we are always happy to supply more towels on request as well. I am sorry that no one offered to help with your luggage as the rooms in the origional part of the hotel do have a number of stairs and steps. I really appreciate your kind words about our team and that our investement in a high speed WIFI system is appreciated.

Once again many thanks for your comments and I do hope that you will give us the oppotunity to welcome you again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I went on a quiet Sunday in January. Room (No 33) consisted of a number of interconnecting rooms and was overall spacious. Lovely, historic hotel. The staff were lovely and one insisted (rightly) on showing me the hidden tunnels running off one of the panelled rooms. I highly recommend the hotel. Apparently room 52 is haunted.

Room Tip: 33 a great room - but is on main road (albeit it is quiet at night and there is double glazing howe...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review of your stay with us recently, I am very pleased to read that you found the accommodation and especially the team so good and you got to see some our historic features.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future.

london, england
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed in this hotel New Years Eve 2013 as part of a murder mystery evening we had booked. There were 11 of us in our party.

On arrival we parked in the secure parking and checked in, we were early and our rooms were unavailable but the guy behind the reception took our bags for us as we went for lunch.

After lunch we came back and checked it, which was very easy and the young guy was very helpful.

Our room was very nice, the bed was very comfortable.

The bathroom was a little dated.

We had a three course meal as part of the murder mystery which was very nice, all our food came out at once and was hot.

The breakfast was fantastic, lots of hot and fresh bacon, sausages, eggs, beans, mushrooms and hash browns. There was cereal, bread, ham and cheese available, along with fresh fruit juices.

Check out was very easy.

Overall a really lovely, old fashioned hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate you taking time to post your positive thoughts after your stay with us here at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel for New Years Eve. I am so pleased that the team looked after you so well and that you enjoyed your accommodation and of course the meals you took with us. We are hoping that we will be able to refurbish some of our bathrooms during the course of the year so if you choose to stay with us in the future you will see an improvement.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Whately Hall as part of a NYE package with "The Killing Game", a Murder Mystery Event. The hotel is situated in the middle of Banbury (near the Cross) and has a historic past. We had a room at the front of the hotel in the old part, which was a little jaded but quite pleasant. Nice 3 course dinner and a good cooked breakfast buffet on New Years Day. The staff were very friendly and efficient. Car parking was ok at the back, but there is also a big Pay and Display Car Park at the front of the hotel too. Overall we were impressed.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel are in the older more historic part of the hotel if you like tha...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great comments after yor stay here with us at Mercure Whately Hall Hotel on New Years Eve. I am so pleased to read your positive review and I will be sure to pass on your comments about the team to them. I note your comments about the jaded room and these rooms wil be refurbished duringt he course of the year.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on New Years Eve as part of a murder mystery evening arranged by an outside company.
Deluxe room was old but ok with separate sitting and bedrooms areas.
No hot water to get ready for our evening and luke warm water or a shower in the morning.
No room safe so concerned about everyday high value items having to be hidden in the room iPad etc. whilst we were at the dinner.
Quite noisy with doors slamming when everyone is going in and out of rooms.
Carpets in corridors were quite dirty looking.
Hotel has a car park but only if you are a confident driver or have a small car as entrance is through quite a narrow entrance with a turn.

Room Tip: don't choose
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dunnaz2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments follwoing your stay here with us at New Year. I am very sorry that there was insuffiecient hot water this was due to the high volume of guests getting ready at the same time and is not normally a problem here but I appreciate how it affected you. Some of our rooms are darker than others due to the age and nature of the building and we will be addressing this in the ongoing refurbishment schedule. Whilst we do not have safes in any of our rooms we would have been happy to strore any items in our main safe at Reception. I will ask our maintainence team to look at the door closers to see if noise can be reduced Our carpets are cleaned on a regular basis but due to pattern and light shadows I understand that they can look dirty but they aren't. I know that the car park entrance is narrow but to date we haven't has a car that can't get in although as you say with some larger vehicles caution is needed.

Once again thank you very much for your comments and once again my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would be grateful if you could contact myself or Rooms Division Manager if you wish to discuss this further.

Michael Williams

Travelers are raving about these Banbury hotels

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two nights (room 52); night before my wedding on my own & second one with my brand new husband. The service given & attention to detail was faultless. All staff (catering, events and reception) were fabulous & all went out of their way to ensure everything about our stay & wedding reception went smoothly. The only slight niggle was that (perhaps because 1st night there was only me) despite asking hospitality, there was only one set of towels.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WhatleyHall, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our Mercure Whately Hall Hotel for such a beautiful and memorable event and also we really are pleased that we could be a part of such a life long experience. It is good to read that you were satisfied with our services. I will share your comments with our team.
We wish you all the best. You and your friends are always welcome!

Kind regards,